GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S.O.S. Need Help!

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Was attempting to swap out the struts and springs on my '19 GTI and ran into a major snag: the strut is stuck in the knuckle.
I used a spreader nut on the back and managed to get the knuckle to drop about 2 inches. Unfortunately, it won't go any further. Tried raising with a 2x4 and it is still stuck.

So, I'm giving up on this adventure before I really break something. Trouble is, I can't figure out how to reseat the strut back into the knuckle. Do I have to put the wheel back on and let the weight of the car push it in?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
You might need to reposition the spreader nut to get the strut out. There’s a position feature attached to the strut that might have caught your spreader nut.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
The nut isn't stuck. Trying to get the strut back in.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
9E856D6A-1632-45B5-9A8B-8B10F5DDB7C4.jpeg

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I see that part but what I want to know is how do I get the stock strut back into the knuckle? It is 2 inches higher than before I started. The spreader nut is not in the knuckle.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
To get the strut back in spread the knuckle again. Gently lift the lower control arm with a jack. If it doesn’t start sliding back in wiggle at the brake disc towards the strut.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Put the spreader back in, open it, use a jack to push the knuckle up so the strut compresses back into it. Obviously secure the 3 top mount bolts to the chassis before doing that.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
OK I'll try with the spreader nut back in. Thanks.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
It's normal to reposition the spreader a few times so it clears the strut tab. Keep that in mind. If the strut doesn't go in, move the spreader up or down in the channel until it clears and seats itself to the bottom of the knuckle.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Success! Thank you ZERO815 and Impulsive.ca!!! :cool: