GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RSe05 question

athos56

Ready to race!
Installed my RSe05

Washed my car so it was fit to take pictures of :) So far I've really liked them, acceleration seems more effortless. I think they look really cool too.

Attachments

• IMG_20180114_150900.jpg
    IMG_20180114_150900.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 3,293

athos56

Ready to race!
That looks really good! Stock suspension? What tires and the size of the tires??

Thanks! Yeah stock suspension, I'll get the DG springs and Bilstein B6s soon. Tire size is 235/45/17 which was closest to the stock's over all diameter. I went up to 235 from 225 to get a little more width.

Last edited:

am215

Ready to race!
for those with or going to 17" wheels, are they noticeably different in size than the stock 18" wheels in person? some pictures, like athos56, they look appropriate but it's difficult to tell just on pictures.

reason I ask is that I'm considering making the switch but am finding it difficult to commit.

Jack Straw

Ready to race!
I went from 19" Pretorias to 17" RSe05 wheels with stock ride height. I'm really picky about how my cars look but I can't see a thing wrong about the looks with the Neuspeed wheels. They seem in proportion to the size of the car to my eye.

I think we have all gotten so used to seeing larger diameter wheels that we think "normal" is too small. Heck I had 20 inchers on my Mustang GT. I liked them but when I look at my photos of that car now I wonder what I was thinking.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
This is about as apples to apples a comparison as you're likely to find. The top photo is 18x8 et45 RSe07 with 235/40R18 PSS tires while the bottom photo is 17x8 et45 RSe05 with 235/45R17 RE71R tires. The ride height of the car is about an inch lower than a stock Golf R.

Attachments

• 17 vs 18.jpg
    17 vs 18.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 2,888

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Cliff,

That is a very sharp lookin' car. Serious but not over the top.

Don't forget the big advantage to 17" wheels.....they make your brakes look bigger.:cool:;)

Thanks, it's pretty much a sleeper, which I like. There were some S550 Mustang GT's down at Laguna Seca a couple of weeks ago who were disappointed that they had to keep letting me pass them.

For my needs, the biggest advantage is that 17" tires are cheaper - I do 10-15 HPDE days each year so anything I can do to trim the tire budget is a good thing. The next advantage is that they're a bit lighter than 18" wheel/tire combos.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks, it's pretty much a sleeper, which I like. There were some S550 Mustang GT's down at Laguna Seca a couple of weeks ago who were disappointed that they had to keep letting me pass them.

For my needs, the biggest advantage is that 17" tires are cheaper - I do 10-15 HPDE days each year so anything I can do to trim the tire budget is a good thing. The next advantage is that they're a bit lighter than 18" wheel/tire combos.

Lowered on DG springs?

I really like the meaty look of that tire size.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Lowered on DG springs?

I really like the meaty look of that tire size.

No, I am running a "coilover conversion" kit from Ground Control: 475# front springs from GC and 650# rear springs from Eibach on adjustable perches, and in my case since my car was used as the prototype, OEM bump stops that were cut down and made to work by GC. The car has been corner balanced. I am also running GC camber plates with 2.4 deg negative camber.

http://www.vdubwarehouse.com/ has the camber plates on their site, but the coilover conversion kit isn't even up on GC's site. I have no idea why, maybe it's an oversight. Vdubwarehouse is reaching out to GC so that they can add it to their site.