GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RSB Replacement Question......

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Hello guys.....Looking for any pointers on the work involved in replacing our MK7.5 GTI OEM RSB with the much improved H&R 24mm RSB.
I'm planning on doing this work this coming weekend and trying to understand what else do I need to be ready for this activity.

I another note....I'll be using my Quick Jack to do this job and I have notice that when the GTI is brought back down to the ground, the DSG transmission gets into a bind, because of the weels trying to spin as they touch the ground.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put the DSG transmission in neutral before picking the car up on the Quick Jack.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
You want to install the RSB with the rear wheels weighted. Without weight on the rear wheels, the lower control arms droop and put a lot of tension on the bar / endlinks making it impossible to remove/install. If you have ramps, I'd recommend backing onto them instead of the quickjack. You can use the quickjack, but you'll also want to use jacks to lift the rear suspension.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Make sure you have a triple square to remove the end links and don't put any torque on it when taking off the nut.

Grease the fitting for the sway bar.

IMO when doing the rsb you should just get a set of new Moog end links to go with it. Can pick up a set for like 40 bucks. You then don't have to worry about removing the stupid triple square bolt, (Can just disconnect the bottom bolt off of the end link and remove still attached) and you get a more sturdy design.

You are going to need two more jacks in order to support the lower control arms with the car on the quick jack. You want to get them both up and level to take the preload off of the end links. I just use a scissor jack.

I've only had the DSG bind from jacking with the parking brake on. Simply making sure I take it off before I try to shift out of park once the car is lowered fixes it.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
You want to install the RSB with the rear wheels weighted. Without weight on the rear wheels, the lower control arms droop and put a lot of tension on the bar / endlinks making it impossible to remove/install. If you have ramps, I'd recommend backing onto them instead of the quickjack. You can use the quickjack, but you'll also want to use jacks to lift the rear suspension.
Thank you. I guess I have to bring the ramps down to do this job. I do have a couple of Jacks that I could also use too. I can go either way.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Thank you. I guess I have to bring the ramps down to do this job. I do have a couple of Jacks that I could also use too. I can go either way.
Ramps would probably be easiest. I swapped my RSB and endlinks in a sharply inclined driveway and it was very easy. :ROFLMAO: Went with Moog endlinks, so I pulled the stock bar and endlinks off as one. Assembled the replacement bar and links outside and then installed. Getting a torque wrench near the bolts was a no-go due to the rear springs, I'd just recommending going carefully as tight as you can on the endlink to bar with two wrenches. Did that and haven't had an issue yet.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Make sure you have a triple square to remove the end links and don't put any torque on it when taking off the nut.

Grease the fitting for the sway bar.

IMO when doing the rsb you should just get a set of new Moog end links to go with it. Can pick up a set for like 40 bucks. You then don't have to worry about removing the stupid triple square bolt, (Can just disconnect the bottom bolt off of the end link and remove still attached) and you get a more sturdy design.

You are going to need two more jacks in order to support the lower control arms with the car on the quick jack. You want to get them both up and level to take the preload off of the end links. I just use a scissor jack.

I've only had the DSG bind from jacking with the parking brake on. Simply making sure I take it off before I try to shift out of park once the car is lowered fixes it.
Any particular grease to use? Do I need a grease gun or finger applied works? I'm all for reducing work time and chances to screw up by just getting new end links. I will look into the ones you mention. Do you have a part number for the end links?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Any particular grease to use? Do I need a grease gun or finger applied works? I'm all for reducing work time and chances to screw up by just getting new end links. I will lookinto the ones you mention.
Depends on the fittings, some have Zerk nipples others don't - Zerk would require a gun. Also check with your RSB vendor to see if the bushings need greasing. Some kits come with teflon or like coated bushings that require no greasing.

If you go with Moog endlinks you'll need to grease them. You can pick up a grease gun pretty cheap on Amazon. Bought this one and the lockNlube zerk fitting with Superlube synthetic:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D91NT7M/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7LPKKU/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042FG74W/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Depends on the fittings, some have Zerk nipples others don't - Zerk would require a gun. Also check with your RSB vendor to see if the bushings need greasing. Some kits come with teflon or like coated bushings that require no greasing.

If you go with Moog endlinks you'll need to grease them. You can pick up a grease gun pretty cheap on Amazon. Bought this one and the lockNlube zerk fitting with Superlube synthetic:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D91NT7M/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7LPKKU/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042FG74W/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a 2020 MK7.5 GTI and I was looking at the Moog website and could only see one part listed and it was not the end links. Do you guys have a number?
I think the H&R bushings do not need Lubrication.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I have a 2020 MK7.5 GTI and I was looking at the Moog website and could only see one part listed and it was not the end links. Do you guys have a number?
I think the H&R bushings do not need Lubrication.
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k750809

They list up to the 2019, so I'm not entirely sure if these will it. Though for what it's worth, parts.vw.com lists 5Q0505465C as the rear end link for both the 2020 and the 2019 - So I would assume the moogs should fit. 🤷‍♂️

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Thank you. I'll reached out and see what they said. Those don't come as a set, right?
<<Found my answer, never mind>>

Last edited:

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Has anyone replace OEM endlinks with the Moog endlink on a 2020 MK7.5 GTI yet. I was told after reaching out to a Moog suspension supplier that they have not bing tested on a 2020 model as far as they can tell.