GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RS3 Swapped Golf R Project. IMS 1100

Mufasakoji

Ready to race!
Yea ive got that question a few times and its really hard to say cause I bought a donor car with 4k miles on it. I guess it all depends on how far ur gonna take the RS3 engine which will dictate transmission and fuel.

So thats a pretty broad question that I really dont have an answer for. I think if u just did the swap itself with no motor or tranny work and wanted to just thro some bolt ons I think it could be done for about $50k.

Really depends on how much u pay for the donor car and trust me u will need a whole car! Ive used so much shit from the RS3 its crazy. I was just gonna buy a motor and trans with harness for like $27k but I needed the fuel tank, brackets, axels and quite a few other things.

Its a lot of labor getting the wiring harness to marry to the the Golf R. Thats Dave the Madd scientist! Absolute genius when it comes to wiring!View attachment 216459
Makes a lot of sense. Appreciate the response. Definitely looking forward to how this project turns out for you man.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yes im in CT as well. Its a small state bro im sure we can meet up somewhere.

Yeah, I was born and grew up in CT, in the northeast corner. Moved to RI after graduating high school a long time ago.

The scope of this project is insane, I love it. Do you know if this is the first DAZA swap in the US? Have seen a few in EU countries, but nothing stateside yet. Definitely nothing of this scope.

What are the plans for the car? Track it? Show car? Most insane daily ever?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
OP, for the crazy amount of money you are spending on this swap, why didn't you just buy a RS3 and mod that? It would have been cheaper and easier to do.
He responded about that In the thread already - as plenty shops said the same to him when he went to get the work started…. Facts remain he’s just a legit VW guy/nut. Not solely in it for the “speed/performance” but a crazy person that’s just hooked to VWs… I can get behind that as I’ve never cared to have an Audi In all the years I’ve had vws (air cooled, 2 mk4s,mk6, and now the mk7) . Yes they are the better versions of our cars but there’s just something about the VW badge/Brand that I love.

You know some shit about the journey not the destination 😂😂

Edit: forgot to note… from my understanding he did actually buy an RS3 already, lol.

Last edited:

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
He responded about that In the thread already - as plenty shops said the same to him when he went to get the work started…. Facts remain he’s just a legit VW guy/nut. Not solely in it for the “speed/performance” but a crazy person that’s just hooked to VWs… I can get behind that as I’ve never cared to have an Audi In all the years I’ve had vws (air cooled, 2 mk4s,mk6, and now the mk7) . Yes they are the better versions of our cars but there’s just something about the VW badge/Brand that I love.

You know some shit about the journey not the destination 😂😂

Edit: forgot to note… from my understanding he did actually buy an RS3 already, lol.
I can agree with this sentiment. When shopping for my car I looked at a few S3s and didnt care for them at all. I had yet to drive a Golf R and was nervous I wasnt going to like it. I drove my car and was instantly satisfied.

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion
D'oh. That was dumb.
Lol
Yeah, I was born and grew up in CT, in the northeast corner. Moved to RI after graduating high school a long time ago.

The scope of this project is insane, I love it. Do you know if this is the first DAZA swap in the US? Have seen a few in EU countries, but nothing stateside yet. Definitely nothing of this scope.

What are the plans for the car? Track it? Show car? Most insane daily ever?
I little of everything. Few grudge races, cars shows, cars and coffee and just cruise with my Dog and listen to tunes lol. I think the swap has been done before here but I don't think anyone has done motor, trans, fuel etc..... I think one was done a couple years back with bolt ons. It was still really quick. Dave something if I remember right.
OP, for the crazy amount of money you are spending on this swap, why didn't you just buy a RS3 and mod that? It would have been cheaper and easier to do.
I did buy an RS3🙂

Last edited:

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Very cool. Here’s the next question, why not just get an Rs6? That’s the most logical next step and what my cars previous owner did. Ha!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yes, I'm fully aware of the power capability for both platforms and what it takes to get it there. This isn't my first rodeo. You can get the R and GTI over 650 whp; built block with a big enough turbo and supporting mods will do it for you.

Won't they spool slower though?

A built 2.0 is a smarter financial decision, but it's hard to argue with the superiority of a built 2.5.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Very cool. Here’s the next question, why not just get an Rs6? That’s the most logical next step and what my cars previous owner did. Ha!

Because F-you.. I mean that in the editorial sense, not you. To the untrained eye, it's still just a Golf. Imagine getting smoked by a 'Golf' in a 150k RS6, or most sports cars, hell even some super/hyper cars. If I were presented the choice of choosing this or a brand new 911, I'd hands down go with this.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Because F-you.. I mean that in the editorial sense, not you. To the untrained eye, it's still just a Golf. Imagine getting smoked by a 'Golf' in a 150k RS6, or most sports cars, hell even some super/hyper cars. If I were presented the choice of choosing this or a brand new 911, I'd hands down go with this.
To each there own. I also very much enjoy the sleeper-ness of this car. I purposefully don’t shine my exhaust tips so people can’t see somethings off. Would I take a Golf over a 911- absolutely not. Very cool thread, excited to see where this goes!