GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RS3 Brushless LPFP Retrofit

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Not sure how exactly it was miswired but sent my pinouts via voltmeter continuity checks to A2B and Billy there confirmed it was an issue. Basically my brand new OEM Audi RS3 pump wouldn't prime/turn on and I was getting an engine code related to the fuel pump circuit, my external ground was very solid on bare metal. It is the exact same harness they bundle with their main RS3 brushless kits so I wouldn't worry about it and sounds like mine was an anomaly. At this point, they are sending me a new harness. Like it was mentioned above, the retrofit harness is based off 8V0971727A but I could never find how it was re-pinned for the GTI conversion.

Yea the flat shipping cost is high but I still came out way cheaper than buying the overall kit by sourcing my own pump/controller so it's all good. Unless someone wants to publish a specific guide on how to take that OEM harness and mod it for FWD/AWD MK7 along with a list of parts like the pump plug/pigtail, then A2B DIY harness is still the best way to go.

The parts list exists. I'm all for companies making money as long as they do it well. I'm hoping my harness works as it should and my time is not wasted. If it is, there may be a DIY guide that will be published with pinout information and part numbers. This is really very easy stuff. Getting the parts is a little difficult (some of it is back ordered) but people would be able to build the stuff themselves and make sure it's right. There is no excuse for this harness being pinned wrong. Nobody should need to worry if their harness is pinned wrong. Mine just got delivered so I'll be checking it tonight or tomorrow with a volt meter.

I see @scrllock posted the pin out. Check your harnesses guys.

Last edited:

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
FWIW this is the modified pinout:

View attachment 240228

Awesome thanks, looks like they completely reversed my RS3 pump top hat wires based on my harness pinouts so for now I'll re-pin them myself to get them in the right order (ie my top hat ground is pin 1 not 4, all reversed 1-4 based on controller connections to the RS3 top hat).

Assuming that is the main issue then that was a waste of about two nights of troubleshooting and two weeks of back and forth emails. Agreed that's a pretty egregious problem for a 6-wire harness. Wish they would've told me that two weeks ago when I sent them my pinouts to just say sorry de-pin and reverse those and you'll be good.

Edit: Re-pinned the A2B DIY harness on my own and re-installed the RS3 pump, everything is now working as intended.

Attachments

• 20220222_163848.jpg
    20220222_163848.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 162
Last edited:

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
Awesome thanks, looks like they completely reversed my RS3 pump top hat wires based on my harness pinouts so for now I'll re-pin them myself to get them in the right order (ie my top hat ground is pin 1 not 4, all reversed 1-4 based on controller connections to the RS3 top hat).

Assuming that is the main issue then that was a waste of about two nights of troubleshooting and two weeks of back and forth emails. Agreed that's a pretty egregious problem for a 6-wire harness. Wish they would've told me that two weeks ago when I sent them my pinouts to just say sorry de-pin and reverse those and you'll be good.

Edit: Re-pinned the A2B DIY harness on my own and re-installed the RS3 pump, everything is now working as intended.
My harness is correctly pinned out.

Did the A2B harness kit come with the necessary pump connector and float pin harness for the AWD install?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Did the A2B harness kit come with the necessary pump connector and float pin harness for the AWD install?
Yes the kit comes with the jet pump connector and the float sensor harness. The float harness isn't a plug and play one like the EQT one is though. The float pigtail needs to be spliced in to the stock wiring harness from the driver side level sensor.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
My A2B connector didn't come with the slide lock for the controller connector. I'm not sure if it's the same as the one that's on the car already, but I just took it off a OEM RS3 harness I had laying around. It would be really disappointing if the lock was not the same as the one that's already on the car.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Any chance you know where I can find the internal pins for the newer fuel pump connector (8W0973755)?
The pin numbering is on the controller module itself. On the connector, that maps to pin 1 closest to the push fitting.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
The pin numbering is on the controller module itself. On the connector, that maps to pin 1 closest to the push fitting.
Sorry I meant where can I purchase those pins? I ordered the connector new from VW/AUDI but it doesn't come with any internal pins.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
no all I got was the connector empty of any pins or wires, its just a "housing" as they said in the description

The harness you're supposed to get is 8V0971727A . Going to be easier to just buy A2B's DIY harness and check the pin outs once you get it but I believe it is based off that SKU.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
4M0906093N - controller
8V0919087A -pump assembly

8V0971727A - harness, but you still need to re-pin and figure out the float pigtail + fuel connector. easier to just buy the A2B kit + the above 2 part numbers. you can get the controller cheaply on ebay.
FWIW this is the modified pinout:

View attachment 240228

Are you able to go into more detail on the re-pinning? Is that only required for the FWD cars, or do all Golfs need to have the RS3 harness modified (per your diagram)?

Edit: Also, is there any way to source the plug inside the tank and a suction pump hose connector? I guess the extra bits that come with the A2B harness

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Are you able to go into more detail on the re-pinning? Is that only required for the FWD cars, or do all Golfs need to have the RS3 harness modified (per your diagram)?

Edit: Also, is there any way to source the plug inside the tank and a suction pump hose connector? I guess the extra bits that come with the A2B harness
The difference on FWD cars is they don't have a driver-side float to connect/splice in (it's a connector on the bottom side of the top hat). The BCM->controller wiring is the same.

I don't know of anyone who's selling the plug and hose connector. It's not super hard to fabricate, but I have no idea about the connectors.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
The harness you're supposed to get is 8V0971727A . Going to be easier to just buy A2B's DIY harness and check the pin outs once you get it but I believe it is based off that SKU.
Well the whole thing is I bought the A2B RS3 Pump/Controller/Harness kit a while back with the old controller/harness but after I tried install it, it turned out either the harness or controller were bad. I contacted A2B for support and they said they will sell me the new black controller with harness for a discounted price since they don't support the older controller or harness anymore. I was happy and agreed, but I don't know what happened after that because they stopped responding to my emails and I've gotten the runaround when calling them. So It's been a month and a half since last contact so I just stopped dealing with them and just going to modify the older harness with the new plug and I bought the new controller locally from the dealer. Maybe I can source a plug with the pins on ebay, but thanks for the info I'll definitely look at the harness if I can't find the plug.