GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RPM Changes with Clutch Changes in Neutral

jhbjrpdx

Car(s)
2020 GTI 6M
So I noticed that when idling that when I put in and release the clutch without going gear I get small changes in the RPMs. I tend to put it in neutral when I am at a long light so when I saw it the first time I experimented and can replicate the effect. I can hear the tiny rev change too. Seems like when I do it a few times, the revs stop changing. What am I seeing here?

Thanks
JHB

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
The ECU assuming you are putting the car into gear and letting off the clutch, it raises the RPM to compensate for the take-off. If you notice, the car doesn't detect what gear you are in until you are pretty much completely off of the clutch.

just kidding, you have crank-walk... part out.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Are you sure you have the clutch fully depressed? Not even letting up a little bit?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
This happens to me and has been such for as long as I can remember. Rpms rise about 200 rpm with clutch in. I'd have thought it's because when you clutch in, you're not spinning the tranny shaft (giggle) anymore, no?

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
He's saying that his RPMs are changing when he's letting off the clutch pedal, not when he's pushing it down. I'm noticing the same thing on my car especially on a cold start.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
He's saying that his RPMs are changing when he's letting off the clutch pedal, not when he's pushing it down. I'm noticing the same thing on my car especially on a cold start.
engine bogs temporarily because of the friction in the transmission, especially when having to fight cold trans fluid. happens in every manual car i've driven

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My car doesn't actually do this anymore. I'm not sure why. I didn't even notice it quit doing it until a few weeks ago when it started doing this again, but it only lasted a day and then quit doing it again. It was really obvious since I have a catback now.