GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rotella t6

tomsyco

Passed Driver's Ed
Is anyone on here running rotella t6? Figured it would perform pretty well on this engine.

H

Huntermike

Doesn’t meet 502 00 or 504 00 so don’t risk it under warranty.

After that it’s your car, do what you want. I don’t see the point point since you aren’t saving any money and T6 has no gasoline specs anymore anyway.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I ran it on my MKV K04 335whp. I ran it because of its superior heat range. I was running Mobil One. On my FSI motor there is a wear item under the fuel pump (cam follower) I would blow through them in 5K miles until I switched to Rotella T6 and the cam followers started lasting 10K plus miles. So I had good luck with it, got it mostly because I was beating on it at the track.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Isn't that diesel oil? Don't all the Subaru guys run this in the engines that they need to rebuild every 30k?

H

Huntermike

Isn't that diesel oil? Don't all the Subaru guys run this in the engines that they need to rebuild every 30k?

T6 used to have gas specs but with new marketing of a new, separate 5w-30 gas Rotella they have chosen not to recertify it. I use it in my bikes because it still has meets JASO MA, although it’s not certified...that would cost money for licensing. Some people believe that if it’s good enough for big rigs it’s perfect for their car.

PQIA tested the old T6 and it just wasn’t that impressive and had a really high NOACK for a synthetic.

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/df38ac57-3c2e-4f19-9c42-80b6c504c289.pdf

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

I ran it for a few years 40k mi street and track, motor looked great when it was taken apart for a new build.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
I ran it based on BITOG reports for both of my Subaru EJ motor equipped cars, and never had an issue. That's not to say that it won't cause issues with the EA motor, but I can't fathom to think that it would do more harm than good. TBH, I run Mobil 1 in the EA because Castrol Syntec Euro 0w40 isn't readily available at Wal-Mart where I live. No issues thus far.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
T6 used to have gas specs but with new marketing of a new, separate 5w-30 gas Rotella they have chosen not to recertify it. I use it in my bikes because it still has meets JASO MA, although it’s not certified...that would cost money for licensing. Some people believe that if it’s good enough for big rigs it’s perfect for their car.

PQIA tested the old T6 and it just wasn’t that impressive and had a really high NOACK for a synthetic.

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/df38ac57-3c2e-4f19-9c42-80b6c504c289.pdf

RT6 actually has a high magnesium content (and lower calcium content), which suggest it could be good to prevent Low Speed Pre Ignition, which can plague forced induction direct injection gas engine

VW 502.00 has max NOACK of 13%, so it just meets it.

H

Huntermike

RT6 actually has a high magnesium content (and lower calcium content), which suggest it could be good to prevent Low Speed Pre Ignition, which can plague forced induction direct injection gas engine

VW 502.00 has max NOACK of 13%, so it just meets it.

We should shoot higher...MB 229.5 has a max of 11%. For the same price as RT6 you can march into your local Wally World or have Amazon deliver Edge 0w-40 which meets the MB spec. Along with LL-01, 502, and A40. https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/73A258BA225A396680257D03006D47BE/$File/EDGE%20US%20PDS.pdf

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Is there a more stringent "better" spec we should look to follow for the EA888.3? Probably won't make a measurable difference in the end but

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Last edited:

kgmm/sss

Passed Driver's Ed
I used rotella t6 full syn for about 80,000 miles on a stage 3 2010 wrx with a 7,500 OCI. It was great oil but I've heard from others that it was not kind to the subaru oem upper cat. At usually $24 dollars a gallon from wallmart hard to beat price wise as well. I did one oil change with Mobil 1 with that car and it only got 3,000 miles before needing a top up, rotella didn't burn enough to notice over the OCI.

With that all said the rotella had the correct certifications for subaru while I had a warranty. With the GTI I'll stick with my liquimolly until i forgo maintaining the warranty.

As a total aside the used rotella is still used in our garden tractor that goes through about 2 liters every 3 hours of run time.

2nd aside, I use the rotella on my 1987 Porsche 924S. It hardly does 1000 miles a year so it gets changed early fall and the oil goes into a friends truck as top up oil.