GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roof Rack mounts/rivet removal

slrsoles

Car(s)
2015 MK7 Golf R
Hello everyone,
I bought my 15 mk7R about 4 years ago and have loved it. I purchased it used with a roof rack on it and had not removed it until recently. Unfortunately when I removed it I discovered the mounting points are rivetted (or at least I believe) to the roof. I was wondering if there was any way to remove these without compromising the roof, or if there is something like a CF roof to replace it. If there is nothing I can do is there any way I can ensure that there aren't leaks in the mountings? Finally, the dealer I purchased it from never told me about this modification, do I have any leverage to get $$ out of them if it impacts resale value? I have attached image below and can take more if people are interested, thank you.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Do you have a better picture (no rain)? Can't tell if that bracket is bonded or not. If it's bonded you might be safe; if its riveted to the roof, then the body shop is in your future. As far as the dealership from four years ago, I wouldn't even bother.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If you were ok with it for the last four years that’s something you’re going to have to own.

I’d just re install it, and be more attentive next time you buy something (I’ve never seen or heard of a rack like this in 17 years of owning/driving VW).

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
If you were ok with it for the last four years that’s something you’re going to have to own.

I’d just re install it, and be more attentive next time you buy something (I’ve never seen or heard of a rack like this in 17 years of owning/driving VW).
Yeah that’s deff. Some universal rigged setup.

Op- do you have pics of the rack install?

slrsoles

Car(s)
2015 MK7 Golf R
Yeah that’s deff. Some universal rigged setup.

Op- do you have pics of the rack install?
I was planning on going big turbo and keeping car for a while, but now knowing roof rack can't come off might just sell. Maybe I'll get blessed with flood damage totalling it out lol.

Attachments

• golvf.jpeg
    golvf.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • golvf2.jpeg
    golvf2.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 64

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
How/What places would u recommend I contact to do it

If whoever did that actually drilled through the roof, I'd say a body shop. Really you're not going to know the full extent until you pry them off, or pull down your roof liner to see things from the bottom side.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
Cheapest and least impactful thing to do would be cut the threads off flat and give the feet a fresh coat of paint. Or drill out the rivets and put grommets in the holes. At least its a black car lol.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
A body shop would probably charge $800-$1000 to cut those off, sand & block it out then respray. If you drill them out patches need welded in to fill the holes, especially on the roof or the repair will look like shit after a few years (body filler + heat from the sun = expansion).
100% not worth it, bolt it back on and forget about it.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
1. can you feel anything protruding on the inside?
2. are those heads/caps metal or plastic plugs?

try working fishing line between base and roof....maybe just double sided tape (unlikely)

bumper plugs would be a OK repair if you do have holes and can drill/grind but keeping the rack on may be the best solution

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
bumper plugs would be a OK repair if you do have holes and can drill/grind but keeping the rack on may be the best solution
Bumper plugs seem like the wrong application even temporarily, as they aren't intended to be weatherproof. If there are holes, take it to a good body shop and you'll never know they were there.