GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rodent Damage

psygieda

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wanted to share with you all, my current issue that I'm experiencing.

Yesterday I got into my GTI after work as usual. When I started the car a check engine came on. I did not hear anything weird coming from the engine, and after inspecting the engine bay, I figured that it was something minor.

On the way home which is about 13 miles from my work to home I noticed the car behaved very unusual. Very little power, the gear shifts were very fast and at low rpm's. At that time I knew something bad is going on, "Limp mode" was for sure active.

Got home called the dealer explained the issue was told to drive the car in the next morning.

So this morning I drove very slowly and carefully to the dealer. Got a loaner and went to work.

After about an hour I get a call from the dealer. I was told a rodent got into my engine bay and chewed through the engine harness. I could not believe this as I mostly park in the same place by my work for years, and at home the car is garaged.

Long story short, it will cost me $1500 to replace the harness and hood cover. This is not covered under the warranty. My insurance has provision for rodent damage, however my deductible is $1000. So, I am screwed big time.

Any advise from the group is appreciated :confused::confused:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQgqxIyTIc6ZlA0WHU2TGQ3b1FOWncyd3dha3lLRFp5OFQ0/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQgqxIyTIc6QjloRHBqRUdIS2JJWDZkLXh5S1dGemdQT0lV/view?usp=sharing

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Try to negotiate a little better price from the dealer. 10-15% should be possible. Or at least get a free oil change/filter.

And you saw the damage for yourself, right? Get all of the old parts. They're yours since it's not covered under the warranty..

jopster

Passed Driver's Ed
That's a huge pest! Had squirrels stash food in hood insulators and on top of the oil cap in both cars for consecutive autumns. Try to stay vigilant, but they act fast. No gnawed cables yet (*knock-on-wood*).

matimer

Ready to race!
Man, that does suck. That happened to me once on an old suzuki car. Rodent or termites chewed up the connections underneath the engine bay.

What about the person that sold you the vehicle? Maybe he can help convince the service advisors to lower the quote. How much are they charging for labor?

psygieda

Passed Driver's Ed
Spoke with service manager, was told he will work me and will discount the job a little.

Have to wait couple of days for the harness which was not in stock and has to be shipped from Canada.

Will let you guys know the final bill when I get it.

Fanis1

Ready to race!
Seems like those pests really like the smell and taste of new engine!! The same happened to my dad, few years ago, when the car was brand new! Mice got in the engine bay, and caused exactly the same damage as to you...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The reason this happens is because the wire insulation is now made from plant-based material instead of oil-based material.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Plant based wiring insulation - well I didn't know that!

Handy fact to know if I ever get the munchies and there are no "crisps" to hand (just kidding - thanks for the information)