GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Road Trip and Rock Chips

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
I am thinking of going on a winter trip through the mountains in my 7.5. A bra is out. Paint Protection Film is 2 grand here in Canada just for the front so that's out. So, I am prepared to take the chips on the paint and windshield. But, the head lamps are a different issue. Here they are about $1400 including tax each. I understand I have to buy the whole unit as I just can't replace the plastic lens. My question is, is there vinyl that I could place on them that would provide some measure of protection. Maybe something I could take off easily after the trip. Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I am thinking of going on a winter trip through the mountains in my 7.5. A bra is out. Paint Protection Film is 2 grand here in Canada just for the front so that's out. So, I am prepared to take the chips on the paint and windshield. But, the head lamps are a different issue. Here they are about $1400 including tax each. I understand I have to buy the whole unit as I just can't replace the plastic lens. My question is, is there vinyl that I could place on them that would provide some measure of protection. Maybe something I could take off easily after the trip. Thanks in advance for you thoughts.
How about these;

Right hand side;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1137933657...MIweHI5N_r5QIVVuDtCh0H3QH2EAkYASABEgLL0fD_BwE
Left hand side;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1137933657...MIweHI5N_r5QIVVuDtCh0H3QH2EAkYAiABEgLoqfD_BwE

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I'd just use the Lamin-X on the headlights. I took my GTI to Vegas a couple times and each time...I'd use painters tape on the front of the car. Not exactly pretty...but it did keep the front end from getting chipped up.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
I'd just use the Lamin-X on the headlights. I took my GTI to Vegas a couple times and each time...I'd use painters tape on the front of the car. Not exactly pretty...but it did keep the front end from getting chipped up.

Hi Chogokin, I kinda like the idea. Best I can find is 2 inch tape. I think about 60 feet on a roll. Did you find wider tape?

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG

I wish I loved my car as much as you...lol

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion

Nice photo with the locomotives Chogokin! Doesn't get much better than cars and trains. Where did you take the picture? By the way, I'm a fan too of painter's tape. I see a lot of folks do the same when driving in to car shows.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Used painters tape for the entire front end driving from VA to SC for a race and FMIC install at GTI_Jakes..... Saved the entire front end.... Looks goofy, but works.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Headlamp film for sure as others have mentioned. In my book a must since day 1 of ownership. Inexpensive. I would rethink the bra. $200 and you can take it off afterward. Zero impact to paint.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Zero impact to paint.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Once any dirt is captured inside that felt material you may as well be attaching sandpaper to the hood. Rock chips - No. Fine scratches - YES

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Okay, Lamin X for sure, thanks, And, I'll put thie bra option back on the table. But, have you seen a bra for a 7.5? I searched a bit and could only find them for a 7. And, the bra's that I have seen don't give the coverage that Chogokin has. But, if I could find a bra that fit, and gave good coverage then I would have a decision to make.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Once any dirt is captured inside that felt material you may as well be attaching sandpaper to the hood. Rock chips - No. Fine scratches - YES
I used to run a bra all winter before clear bra's came out, actually didn't ever get any noticeable scratches on 3 cars with real bras. Just give the hood a good wax and plan to buff it after...That said, you can go the painter's tape route, but it can't protect like a 3-5mil clear bra, unless you put on 3-5 layers. So $10 for a few rolls of blue tape should work.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
^ that's a grand cheaper than I've seen