GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ride Suddenly Feels Bouncy

muffdiver

Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Hi all,

Not sure if you can help, but I'm going on a trip tomorrow and was hoping to get a bit of information.

I have a 2016 GTI SE at 58,000 miles, and suddenly today the suspension started to feel very bouncy. I can be driving slowly over a flat road and it feels as if I'm slightly bouncing up and down. The bounce seems to disappear at higher speeds, but is uncomfortable at traffic and parking garage speeds.

Has anybody experienced anything like this before? Is there anything I can check get an idea of what the issue is.

I appreciate any and all help.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Do you have lowering springs by any chance? With stock shocks? That's the feeling I had when my lowering springs finally made the shocks give up the ghost. With 60K miles, shocks aren't normally known for going out without some help.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
^^ +1

I'll also throw in that at 60k, even on stock springs, the stock shocks/struts have seen better days and are likely significantly worn. This happens gradually over time so it's often not obvious to the owner. What's odd here is that you're feeling it all at once, so perhaps something else is at play - completely blown shock? Have a look and see if any appear to be leaking.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nothing happens suddenly with the suspension unless something broke.

Winter

Car(s)
2017 Golf TSI
I had the same issue although mine is 2017 Golf with slightly higher mileage than yours and all stock (no lowering or any mods).
Turned out I had to replace the front struts and the rear shocks. It was becoming crazy uncomfortable and awful to drive. One odd thing was that often it wouldn’t get bad until after about 10-15 minutes of driving in slow city traffic with frequent braking and bad roads. I was bouncing and clunking just going over asphalt patch jobs at like 10mph - felt like a crater!
The difference is like night and day now. Don’t rely on the dealership for this — they kept telling me “everything is normal” lol.