GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ride quality on 17 inch wheels?

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
It's not meant to be serious just a statement. older version of car against newer mk7 with 17” wheels. 95% of people would never ever notice any difference in weight of 16” to 17” wheels. I agree with what your saying though but not all larger wheels are just for looks alone as the overall sizes of the wheels should be the same no matter what size they are (apart from width obviously)! :D

WoutMKX

I got 19x8.5 on my MK7 with 225/40 tyres on them..
The ride is a little bit harder then my 16 stock wheels but nothing serieusly.

BlackVW

I've actually read 2 that claim that 17's ruin the ride - one from Carbuzz and one from Car if I'm not mistaken... Thats one of the reasons I'm worried.

I have a MK7 GT Diesel Std alloys 17" and it has a rear suspension rattle at low speeds it feels all loose and does not handle small bumps or undulations at all well, very, very annoying. It has been into the dealer and I am not the only one who has complained about this particular problem,specific to this model. The dealership says that VW Germany are starting a technical investigation to find the cause.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I have a MK7 GT Diesel Std alloys 17" and it has a rear suspension rattle at low speeds it feels all loose and does not handle small bumps or undulations at all well, very, very annoying. It has been into the dealer and I am not the only one who has complained about this particular problem,specific to this model. The dealership says that VW Germany are starting a technical investigation to find the cause.

So has VWUK examined your car or is this dealer talk re ' Germany are starting a technical investigation to find the cause '

I'd want to talk to VWUK to clarify the situation if your dealer & VWUK say they can't identify the cause for your car.

Keep us informed...

trolloter

I have 18" wintertires and 19" summertires. Never driven the car on anything smaller than 18". But I can't say that the ride is all that bad. Firm enough that you will pay caution to where you place your wheels when driving, which in turn makes you think twice about going into potholes:) So my car lives a comfy life, winter and summer swerving around potholes. But I think it looks the part, and the comfort isn't bad at all.

I may give an update when my brother gets his Golf delivered in Jan/Feb, as he chickened out and went for 17" wintertires, and 18" summer:)

enkil

Ready to race!
I'm on 19inch rims too. No problem with DCC in fact its quite comfortable. Only in Sport mode it gets a bit harsh but thats given.

also i do have a set of 17inch for track day use. Feels like driving an S class coming from 19s. just my butt feeling :) so plush and comfy.