GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Renrubicer: Skeletons In The Closet

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Going DSG was a hard pill to swallow.

I've been eyeing the market for another k04 mk6 (rolls eyes), then i started seriously considering a mk6r. But the prices of those are just not worth it right now. Wife wouldn't let me get one. She said 'oh, no, if you're gonna get one, get a newer one, like your last gti!" Not too often your wife recommends to essentially double the budget you're working with.

Really was looking for a manual, lapiz blue, but couldn't find anything worth it, especially under ~80k miles, under $30k. And then you still gotta dump ~3-4k into it to make it stage 2.

And the Mk7r is really kind of a 'you gotta have the dsg' car.

Maybe the MK5 jetta wont sell and i'll still have something to go beat up and row gears in when i'm bored haha. Something tells me the market for MK5 jettas isn't too hot right now.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
1637071946562.png

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
nah; its just been a goofy year for me, what with getting a new house and stuff.

i'm planning to keep this piggy for a looong time. wife will murder me if i get bored or wanna switch it again

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My wife says the same thing, but she knows. She knows. The only reason I've had the current ride for this long is I'm waiting to see what the next STI looks like. I also know better than to buy an STI year one of a new model.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
WELP!

Got this piggy on Thursday night last week. Pretty much had to put about 500 miles on it since due to a family emergency we're going through.

Few observations:
* Feels like a GTI, but it also doesn't. All of the controls feel heavier than the GTI, unless my memory is wrong. The car itself doesn't feel heavier though, even though its some ~300lbs heavier. It's a good thing. Very solid feeling car.
* Rides and handles great! Very neutral in corners, so far feels very inspiring and it doesn't feel like i gave up any of the tossability that the lighter FWD GTI has. I haven't really taken any hard corners yet though; i still gotta see what tearing up a parking lot feels like.
* First gear feels like you have either no power or full power. I think this is either due to the IS38 being bigger than the IS20 in the GTI, or maybe its a DSG thing, since you don't build any boost off the line like you might by riding the clutch. In other words, my manual GTI i'm not moving until i'm at ~2k rpm, but the DSG just starts moving at 1k RPM
* Fast. Very fast! MEATY powerband. Definitely faster than the Stage 1 Audi S4 and not just because DSG.
* I launched it one time because you just have to. Holy smokes. I didn't even know these were capable of touching ~3.5 second 0-60's before!
* Overall it does feel like a primo car and i love it. I now feel superior to all of you simple GTI owners. Kiss my balls.

I will miss manual for sure. Really hope i dont kick myself as the months go on. I don't think the markets very hot for MK5 Jettas at the moment, i've had 0 inquiries about it so far :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: so maybe i'll have the jetta for a while to still putz around in and row gears

1637635456844.png

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
WELP!

Got this piggy on Thursday night last week. Pretty much had to put about 500 miles on it since due to a family emergency we're going through.

Few observations:
* Feels like a GTI, but it also doesn't. All of the controls feel heavier than the GTI, unless my memory is wrong. The car itself doesn't feel heavier though, even though its some ~300lbs heavier. It's a good thing. Very solid feeling car.
* Rides and handles great! Very neutral in corners, so far feels very inspiring and it doesn't feel like i gave up any of the tossability that the lighter FWD GTI has. I haven't really taken any hard corners yet though; i still gotta see what tearing up a parking lot feels like.
* First gear feels like you have either no power or full power. I think this is either due to the IS38 being bigger than the IS20 in the GTI, or maybe its a DSG thing, since you don't build any boost off the line like you might by riding the clutch. In other words, my manual GTI i'm not moving until i'm at ~2k rpm, but the DSG just starts moving at 1k RPM
* Fast. Very fast! MEATY powerband. Definitely faster than the Stage 1 Audi S4 and not just because DSG.
* I launched it one time because you just have to. Holy smokes. I didn't even know these were capable of touching ~3.5 second 0-60's before!
* Overall it does feel like a primo car and i love it. I now feel superior to all of you simple GTI owners. Kiss my balls.

I will miss manual for sure. Really hope i dont kick myself as the months go on. I don't think the markets very hot for MK5 Jettas at the moment, i've had 0 inquiries about it so far :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: so maybe i'll have the jetta for a while to still putz around in and row gears

View attachment 231162

another reason the R may feel more powerful earlier is the gearing. The R gets the shortest, most aggressive gearing of all MK7 Golfs.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Yeah very true, 2nd gear doesnt get you to 60mph, i think in the gti it takes you to ~70

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Wait, could I swap an R 6 speed into my GTI?

Shut the front door.