GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RGB mood lighting (colors) 4 door panels and foot for golf 7

claytoncamilleri100

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7 1.6TDi
Hi, I have a 2017 MK7 (Non-Facelift) and have no ambient whatsoever. I do have the ability to install single color ambient lighting since I have Highline Door modules. I am thinking of buying this kit in the future but wanted to know how the Door Trim can be removed since it is plastic welded in place. Is it easily removed if the plastic welds were broken or would that ruin the door card?

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
That's what we are going to find out, bit I'm sure it's possible.

There is a French guy who has done it but will not help in any way.

Previously there was a kit of five with the trims included, but they probably wouldn't match your GTI, as they didn't for mine, plus I didn't need 5.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
That's what we are going to find out, bit I'm sure it's possible.

There is a French guy who has done it but will not help in any way.

Previously there was a kit of five with the trims included, but they probably wouldn't match your GTI, as they didn't for mine, plus I didn't need 5.

If you're referring to the "VAG RETROFIT" French guy on Facebook who was only promoting his page, don't bother. He simply replaced his door cards trim with trim that has cheap AliExpress LEDs that connects to the existing door light connector and are static, i.e. not connected directly to the BCM and cannot be controlled whatsoever.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
If you're referring to the "VAG RETROFIT" French guy on Facebook who was only promoting his page, don't bother. He simply replaced his door cards trim with trim that has cheap AliExpress LEDs that connects to the existing door light connector and are static, i.e. not connected directly to the BCM and cannot be controlled whatsoever.

As much as I agree with the first part of your reply, it's clear that the lights are infact connected to the BCM in some fashion as his video (look at the OP) has him changing the colours on screen.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
As much as I agree with the first part of your reply, it's clear that the lights are infact connected to the BCM in some fashion as his video (look at the OP) has him changing the colours on screen.

Hmm, interesting. I did contact him once about something else, and he was quite responsive. Maybe we should contact him again regarding this?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hmm, interesting. I did contact him once about something else, and he was quite responsive. Maybe we should contact him again regarding this?
No point. Read the rest of the thread.

He was only here to advertise, absolutely no intention of helping anyone else unless you take your car to his workshop in Marseille (his words, not mine).

I'm surprised he hasn't been banned yet.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
No point. Read the rest of the thread.

He was only here to advertise, absolutely no intention of helping anyone else unless you take your car to his workshop in Marseille (his words, not mine).

I'm surprised he hasn't been banned yet.

I see.

Well, there must be information available elsewhere regarding this retrofit. I don't care so much about the RGB feature, but it seems like you can't even find the parts with the LED module inside other than cheap AliExpress knockoffs!

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I see.

Well, there must be information available elsewhere regarding this retrofit. I don't care so much about the RGB feature, but it seems like you can't even find the parts with the LED module inside other than cheap AliExpress knockoffs!
A friend and I have plans to do this retrofit early next year, I just need to install my new BCM first.

It was never available on the Golf so all the parts you'll find will be from the Passat.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
It was never available on the Golf so all the parts you'll find will be from the Passat.

Really? I think I looked on ETKA and I saw some trim pieces with P/Ns with LED modules. I suppose it's the static color?

What BCM is required? I suppose High Line?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Really? I think I looked on ETKA and I saw some trim pieces with P/Ns with LED modules. I suppose it's the static color?

What BCM is required? I suppose High Line?
Yes that's just the static ambient lighting found on the R (and a couple of other trims), but as for RGB ambient lighting, it was never available on the Golf.

You need one of a few specific highline BCMs that have the LIN bus pin, as well as the adaptations for RGB ambient lighting.

I've purchased 5Q0937086BM.

I have a fairly old BCM at present that still uses long coding for certain functions, but the new BCMs are all adaptations. That'll be a fun one to figure out.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Yes that's just the static ambient lighting found on the R (and a couple of other trims), but as for RGB ambient lighting, it was never available on the Golf.

You need one of a few specific highline BCMs that have the LIN bus pin, as well as the adaptations for RGB ambient lighting.

I've purchased 5Q0937086BM.

I have a fairly old BCM at present that still uses long coding for certain functions, but the new BCMs are all adaptations. That'll be a fun one to figure out.

Sounds like a lot of work. I think I'll be fine with the static colored one for now. Do you know if they require a higher line BCM?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Sounds like a lot of work. I think I'll be fine with the static colored one for now. Do you know if they require a higher line BCM?
They're not connected to the BCM. They're controlled by the door modules.

If you have power folding mirrors, you have a highline door control module and it will support ambient lighting.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
They're not connected to the BCM. They're controlled by the door modules.

If you have power folding mirrors, you have a highline door control module and it will support ambient lighting.

Yes I do have folding mirrors. Then yay! Would you happen to know the procedure for this n/or part numbers?