GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RGB Ambient Lighting for Mk7 and Mk7.5

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Well... Maybe this will happen come summer time. I would need to order the kit with all the trims. Pattern on the trim will not matter for me, currently the dash piece and four door trims are the only thing left in my car brushed silver, everything else already converted to fingerprint magnets, haha. I can't really tell in the pictures on the listing but it looks like it's that carbon fiber-like pattern (which I hope will closely although I'm sure not perfectly, match my steering wheel).

When you get a chance could you describe how you control it using the steering wheel buttons? Or... big ask... a video?

Last edited:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
When you get a chance could you describe how you control it using the steering wheel buttons? Or... big ask... a video?
Good point.. seems I've completely missed that!

So to control the ambient lighting, you have to hold the voice control button whilst pressing some others at the same time.

Refreshed my memory:
  • Changing colour is Voice + Up or Down
  • Changing mode (off, static, breathing, cycling, rave mode) is Voice + OK or Page Left
  • Changing brightness is Voice + Page Right
There's 10 levels of brightness, plus off.
There's 32 colours including white.

It initially cycles through the main elements of RGB.. White Red Green Blue, then starts cycling through the rainbow shade by shade after that.

Hope that helps!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Gotcha... do voice commands still work? I don't ever use them but with app connect running a long press of the voice button activated Android assistant or Siri, I think.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Gotcha... do voice commands still work? I don't ever use them but with app connect running a long press of the voice button activated Android assistant or Siri, I think.
Yeah they do. Admittedly slightly irritating when Siri starts listening while you're changing colours and stuff, but it's probably more a set it and forget it sort of thing really.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yea... That is by no means a deal breaker considering the kit can give RGB lighting functionality to a non-facelift car. I'll download the instructions and run them through Google translate and see how they mirror control-controls work for comparison. I think I would prefer to deal with Siri versus readjusting my mirrors (if controlling the lights messes with them).

And I agree after the first couple weeks I don't see any reason I'll be doing anything other than turning them On/Off.

Do you believe them running day and night? Is there a way to get them to only come on if the the parking and/or headlights are on? I've already thought of ways to do it with some solid state relays to switch the ground to each of the RGB modules, tied into the factory ambient lighting/footwell outputs for relay control. That of course makes an already not simple retrofit into something more annoying.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Yea... That is by no means a deal breaker considering the kit can give RGB lighting functionality to a non-facelift car. I'll download the instructions and run them through Google translate and see how they mirror control-controls work for comparison. I think I would prefer to deal with Siri versus readjusting my mirrors (if controlling the lights messes with them).

And I agree after the first couple weeks I don't see any reason I'll be doing anything other than turning them On/Off.

Do you believe them running day and night? Is there a way to get them to only come on if the the parking and/or headlights are on? I've already thought of ways to do it with some solid state relays to switch the ground to each of the RGB modules, tied into the factory ambient lighting/footwell outputs for relay control. That of course makes an already not simple retrofit into something more annoying.
I don't mind them running during the day because you can hardly see them unless you're really looking.

However... there was a yellow wire marked LED attached to the main controller harness. The seller didn't tell me what this was for, only that it wasn't necessary and I could ignore it.

I suspect, however, that this could be an illumination signal similar to how aftermarket stereos without CANBUS integration take a signal from instrument lighting in order to dim the screen, but perhaps in this case in reverse? Draw it to 12v and it turns off?

I haven't actually tried connecting it to anything so I'm not entirely sure whether it has an effect, but it would make logical sense!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Looking at the translated document I think I would go with the mirror switch controls. It looks like all the controls happen by moving the switch (up, down, left, or right) with it in the "0" position. That would suggest it doesn't mess with your mirror positions. I would think the steering wheel button buttons are more robust though.

Left - Switch modes
Right - Brightness setting
Up/Down - Switch colors

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Looking at the translated document I think I would go with the mirror switch controls. It looks like all the controls happen by moving the switch (up, down, left, or right) with it in the "0" position. That would suggest it doesn't mess with your mirror positions. I would think the steering wheel button buttons are more robust though.

Left - Switch modes
Right - Brightness setting
Up/Down - Switch colors
It is slightly more work to use the mirror switch as the looms aren't designed for that method, but yes that seems to be what the instructions were saying.

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Great work!! Thank you so much for your pictures and words. So helpful, unlike that French guy. Maybe I should bite the bullet and ship my car to him so he can do the install in his shop? Should only be a small fortune and take a long time.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Great work!! Thank you so much for your pictures and words. So helpful, unlike that French guy. Maybe I should bite the bullet and ship my car to him so he can do the install in his shop? Should only be a small fortune and take a long time.
Maybe I should have charged for instructions...... 😅

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Alright, alright, I'll book space on a shipping container. The car will be there sometime mid-year. I need it back by Xmas.