GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review - Shuenk TSI K03+ Turbo - Dyno

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah thats fair

Johndoestattoos

Passed Driver's Ed
If I have no mods will this turbo work with the oem tune? I want to go stage 2 in the future and have been looking at the integrated engineering power package that includes an intake, downpipe, intercooler, and stage 2 software. It seems also that if I get this turbo il get more out of the stage 2 tune? Sorry if I’m not making sense I don’t know much about this and trying to learn and figure some things out.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
If I have no mods will this turbo work with the oem tune? I want to go stage 2 in the future and have been looking at the integrated engineering power package that includes an intake, downpipe, intercooler, and stage 2 software. It seems also that if I get this turbo il get more out of the stage 2 tune? Sorry if I’m not making sense I don’t know much about this and trying to learn and figure some things out.

No it needs a tune. I mean it will technically work but without the increase in boost not worth it.

Yes this turbo allows you to get more out of a stage 2 tune If the tune allows for more demand out of the turbo. IE seems to be one of those tunes.

Johndoestattoos

Passed Driver's Ed
No it needs a tune. I mean it will technically work but without the increase in boost not worth it.

Yes this turbo allows you to get more out of a stage 2 tune If the tune allows for more demand out of the turbo. IE seems to be one of those tunes.
Thank you, that’s what I thought but just wanted to make sure!

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Considering this exact same replacement turbo for a similar issue. The rattle of the OEM wastegate (even with clip in place) has been driving me insane, recently have been experiencing a slight underboost issue, not bad enough to throw a code or cause the car to drive badly, but enough to feel a little loss of power, peaking around 18psi rather than the previous 20ish Psi. Boost leak test came back nice and tight no leaks, checked wastegate for play and found it is definitely loose enough to not quite be seating all the way.

Wondering if you or any other users have any more info or updates on this turbo? All I have been able to find online as far as reviews or tests is this one thread (which is great by the way!). Wondering if you are still happy with the turbo, if any other users could chime in, and if you have attempted to tune further and see if there is any more on the table with this turbo via a custom tune. I am currently Stratified stage 2. If possible I would love to install as is, and then down the line get some revisions done to maximize the potential of new turbo. I would love to go K04, but with the added cost, and the fact that this car is more than fast enough in my opinion, I am leaning towards this option. At least it's a step above an OEM replacement.

Would love some more feedback if anyone has any, if not I may just jump on it anyways to become one of the guinea pigs for us and share my opinions for the next guy as well... I don't have the cash and my turbo is probably too far gone for accurate before and after dyno's. But I'll probably swing for some afters once I have the tune optimized just to share the info and have a power number for when people ask :p

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
It is still running great and been through some decent tack driving.

As for more power I don’t think I am going to push it beyond the K04 tune I am currently running on it. 320whp is more than enough make traction more of an issue than out right power.

I keep a close eye on the turbo and run a scope down it every oil change to check the internals. So it has been great. With the 102 degree days here in Texas it gets a torture test.

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
It is still running great and been through some decent tack driving.

As for more power I don’t think I am going to push it beyond the K04 tune I am currently running on it. 320whp is more than enough make traction more of an issue than out right power.

I keep a close eye on the turbo and run a scope down it every oil change to check the internals. So it has been great. With the 102 degree days here in Texas it gets a torture test.

Thats exactly the kinda experience I hoped to hear! I don't need any more power than that thats for damn sure. If I could see that magic 300 wheel number with relatively good reliability I would be a VERY happy camper!

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Some great info in this thread. I pulling a turbo is a real pita no doubt. I saved and bought a Borg ko4 new from CTS for $1700. Was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY

I would NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS INSTALL A CHINESE HAND GRENADE ON MY BLOCK.

That's a great gain Walker!

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
As I said from the first post this was about testing a new product for the community.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Ran an egt gauge and sensor to monitor the egt to see how it is handling this 103 degree temps here in Texas and been surprised that is runs right at the OEM IHI temps. I can wait for fall though and get back into boost temperatures.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Hey Walkert, while you are in here care to talk about any E mixtures you are using?
Sorry if I hurt your cars feelings over that Chinese turbo comment!
I think you have some pretty innovative ideas and now I'm gonna grill ya!

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Not currently doing any E mixes. But I just bought the innovate e85 gauge and e85 sensor to start testing the E30 and E40 blends and doing some dyno runs to see if it translates into reliable power. Also looking to see the effect on the EGT temps.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Not currently doing any E mixes. But I just bought the innovate e85 gauge and e85 sensor to start testing the E30 and E40 blends and doing some dyno runs to see if it translates into reliable power. Also looking to see the effect on the EGT temps.
That's a nice gauge, is it simple to install?
Looks like you can just plumb it into the fuel line? E40? Are you stock fuel system and injectors?
What/who's tune are you going to run on E? Thanks !

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
You have to splice the e85 sensor into the fuel line and run it up to the gauge. First would be to base line the effects of actual e30 and e40 on the K04 tune. Datalog and set up how much timing you can add and at what point fuel delivery becomes an issue. There are tons of people who guess what their e85 content is and I am trying to take a more scientific approach.