GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review - Shuenk TSI K03+ Turbo - Dyno

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the updates. My stock IHI is running strong at 80k miles but once that sucker goes im definitely replacing it with this k03+.

Everyone knows k03 is where it is at. That's why the mk4 1.8t NeVaR LoOseS. This is common knowledge.

BTW, dunno if you know this but, the Shuenk website is actually using your data and pics!

Thankfully they did ask prior to posting it on the website. Pretty cool that they wanted to use it.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Good to know they asked permission. Sounds like a decent company.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the updates. My stock IHI is running strong at 80k miles but once that sucker goes im definitely replacing it with this k03+.

Everyone knows k03 is where it is at. That's why the mk4 1.8t NeVaR LoOseS. This is common knowledge.

BTW, dunno if you know this but, the Shuenk website is actually using your data and pics!

I can appreciate why people love the K04, but for the money this option is pretty great. Perfect OEM+ bump for not that much money.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
What really attracts me to it as an option is there is no need for a custom tune. Being able to essentially use this turbocharger as a bolt on while tuned with an off the shelf stage 2 is really what puts it over the top for me.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
What really attracts me to it as an option is there is no need for a custom tune. Being able to essentially use this turbocharger as a bolt on while tuned with an off the shelf stage 2 is really what puts it over the top for me.

Do some logging. My Uni tune didn't leave enough on the table to get any extra power out of it. Ended up being okay as I want K04. If I'm going to take the time to remove the turbo might as well put a K04 there.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Do some logging. My Uni tune didn't leave enough on the table to get any extra power out of it. Ended up being okay as I want K04. If I'm going to take the time to remove the turbo might as well put a K04 there.
I dig what youre saying, but what im saying is, the appeal to me is this k03+ would be a replacement for the failed stock IHI turbo (when that day comes). If I was going for pure gains, yeah I would throw the k04 on there and get retuned etc. But this is one step easier as it doesnt require any new tune and it is cheaper.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
If I'm going to take the time to remove the turbo might as well put a K04 there.

^ same. I'm not trying to knock the OP for their decision but personally I'd stick a K04 in there and just run stage 2 tune until I could afford to upgrade to a K04 tune. But to each their own...

APR dealer here said they've seen several cars run without issue on stage 2 tunes and a K04. Obviously this is not ideal and it would be up to each owners discretion. Just my .02

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I'd stick a K04 in there and just run stage 2 tune until I could afford to upgrade to a K04 tune.
This post would be great if the k04 and this k03+ were the same price.

k04 = $2700
Shuenk k03+ = $850

You gonna pay the difference when my IHI goes?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Shuenk k04+ is 950...
Oh i thought you were comparing the APR k04 unit. my bad

/edit

also the sheunk k04 is normally 1500, I guess its on sale now?

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Used K04 can be had for 1k. CTS Borg Warner kit is 2k. Upgrade from Uni Stage 2 to 2+ is $150.
OEM Borg Warner > Other brand

Yeah still more money but when I personally factor in my time to replace the turbo the cost is less a factor.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Used K04 can be had for 1k. CTS Borg Warner kit is 2k. Upgrade from Uni Stage 2 to 2+ is $150.

Yeah still more money but when I personally factor in my time to replace the turbo the cost is less a factor.
More options the better i say

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion

Shoot man, some of these K04 kits have been popping for up even less than 1k. I've seen $650, $750 and $900 within the last month and a half. The $650 also included TOP/TIP as well...:cry:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Are those the chinese ebay k04 kits? Ive seen the F23T kits on their too some people say they are the same ones as sold by Frankenturbo

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
k04 = $2700
Shuenk k03+ = $850

True, but not necessarily an apples to apples comparison. For $2700 you get a genuine Borg Warner turbo and K04 tune/software.Pretty sure the Shuenk K03+ is similar in construction to the F23T and other non-Borg Warner K04s which can be had anywhere from the ~700 range on up.