GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review of APR roll control springs

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
After a few weeks, and after getting over the initial disappointment with the springs lowering the car more than advertised, I'd like to offer a review.

My goal for this car is replicating the spirit of the CSS with my 2019 Rabbit GTI, thus why I wanted less than an inch drop and nothing too harsh.

I installed these springs on my new factory struts with Eurosport's camber kit and a 26mm rear sway bar.

I was driving on my RE71R's right after install and the ride was firmer than I wanted on the street. Not bad, but definitely a little harsher than stock. Once I installed my street tires, they were exactly what I wanted on the street. TIre and tire pressure will be critical to getting good street manners.

I did have one concern though. Even after a week of intentional hard driving, the right rear was sitting high, even after removing and reinstalling the spring. Swapped left and right rear, now left was 1/2 higher. This was causing uneven ride height at the front too. I sourced a set of R springs in case they didn't eventually settle, but decided to get it aligned and shake it down at an autocross.

First, the car had much less body roll than stock. A lot less. Back on RE71R's, the car felt great at speed, soaking up the terrible asphalt imperfections on the old cracked and pitted runway. Again, transitions were well controlled, no brake dive, though strangely, the car was harder to launch without getting wheel hop on the broken asphalt, but easier on smooth city streets.

Second, these springs, 26mm rear sway, -2.3 camber front, -1.8 rear with .02 toe out front, .02 toe in rear, 32 psi on 245/40 17 RE71R's, handled amazingly. Sharp turn in, allowed perfect trail braking (I've also turned ESC completely off and all the abs nannies too) put down power, and felt really composed. I came away loving this car even more. In stock form, even with a RSB, it's a bit tedious to drive these cars fast. With the above setup, it was some much fun to throw the car around and get it to dance. Easily the best of all my previous GTI's and feels are fun to drive as my old Corrado VR6 did.

Third, the springs don't feel under dampened with good factory shocks, though if yours are worn, I'd just suck it up and do B8's. I've used Koni sports on many cars over the years, the last one being a 15 Miata Club, and I just don't think they'll pair as well with these as the B8's.

Fourth, after 3 drivers doing 7 autocross runs each on 200tw tires, the springs have settled. Fronts are both equal, rears are equal.

So, if you can get passed the height thing, which I have, there's a lot of value here if you're building a mild streetable STH, a canyon carver and/or mild track day car. If it's just for street, they are on the verge of being to stiff, but a little softer sideway choice really is about perfect and is wife approved by my wife that is very sensitive to ride quality and drives a Mercedes SUV. I went with FK510's, but ESC, MPS4S or MPSS would work well too.

Overall I'm really, really impressed, even after my initial anger over the ride height. I would give them 8/10, which would be a 9 if the drop were .25 less. I'll update with news of how my stock struts hold up, which I should be a good case study, since I drive 90 miles a day on the street and track and autocross the car once or twice a month.

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Glad everything is working out for you despite the overall drop being greater than advertised. I had a similar experience with Swift Springs on my old WRX. They dropped much more than advertised (they were also advertised to pair with OEM struts). They worked well with the OEM struts- for a couple months, then the struts needed replacing!

I find the MK7.5 factory spring/strut combo to work rather well. If the APR Springs exhibit similar control characteristics with less body lean, I’d be happy too.

I’d look into getting those replacement struts specified from now!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
DSC01667.jpg
20200104_145735.jpg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
In the second pic, the left front is really low due to the mentioned .5 inch issue on the right rear. That's all resolved now, so it's a 1/4 to 3/8in higher now.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Glad everything is working out for you despite the overall drop being greater than advertised. I had a similar experience with Swift Springs on my old WRX. They dropped much more than advertised (they were also advertised to pair with OEM struts). They worked well with the OEM struts- for a couple months, then the struts needed replacing!

I find the MK7.5 factory spring/strut combo to work rather well. If the APR Springs exhibit similar control characteristics with less body lean, I’d be happy too.

I’d look into getting those replacement struts specified from now!

This is my 2018 on stock springs. The body roll and brake dive was significant.

IMG_4414.JPG
Helena Joan Sprague (347 of 398).jpg

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I run these same springs with B8 dampers and love them. Get the B8s, it takes it to another level. I run 235/40/18 conti extreme contact sports and find that at AutoX the car is a little too soft, but that may due to the softer sidewall of my tires versus the RE-71r. I find there is a little too much lag between initial turn in and when the grip really starts, like the suspension takes slightly longer to load up then I’d like to. On the street though the car rides great. For my uses, which is 95% daily driving with a few AutoX days, it’s great.

Heightwise I ended up not minding the car dropped lower than expected. I maintain that APR measured the drop based on S3/R height, but the R is lower than the GTI already. I measured the drop at 1.125”.

My before/after:

F69FC723-64DF-48B4-8E81-A8446AE3657A.jpeg
D432BFBA-62CB-40BF-9207-B41AA35549CE.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I run these same springs with B8 dampers and love them. Get the B8s, it takes it to another level. I run 235/40/18 conti extreme contact sports and find that at AutoX the car is a little too soft, but that may due to the softer sidewall of my tires versus the RE-71r. I find there is a little too much lag between initial turn in and when the grip really starts, like the suspension takes slightly longer to load up then I’d like to. On the street though the car rides great. For my uses, which is 95% daily driving with a few AutoX days, it’s great.

Heightwise I ended up not minding the car dropped lower than expected. I maintain that APR measured the drop based on S3/R height, but the R is lower than the GTI already. I measured the drop at 1.125”.

My before/after:

View attachment 164103View attachment 164104

Looks great.

I think you're right about the Contis causing that softness while autocrossing. What pressure you running?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Usually 40-42 F and 37 R

That's should be enough to sharpen the turn in feel up. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts again if you go RE71R.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
This is my 2018 on stock springs. The body roll and brake dive was significant.

View attachment 164096View attachment 164097

Here’s mine on stock springs and struts loaded on Turn 1. Rather behaved for an OEM spring/strut combo..

Thanks for the write up on the APR Springs. Was reading about them recently and was wondering how they perform.

Attachments

• B625ED46-B664-469D-A00B-7AD3BEE1170D.jpeg
    B625ED46-B664-469D-A00B-7AD3BEE1170D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 244

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Here’s mine on stock springs and struts loaded on Turn 1. Rather behaved for an OEM spring/strut combo..

Thanks for the write up on the APR Springs. Was reading about them recently and was wondering how they perform.

Autocross and tracking are different animals.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I think both cars in this thread look great - IMO right at the sweet spot of how low you can go before you get into that hideous knackered suspension look where the wheels start disappearing into the arches.