GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: EQT Coilovers

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I have the front pre-load at "almost none." I set them up so the spring has no play when unloaded. In the rear I set the damper length to be basically in the middle of it's travel at my ride height.

Are you sure you adjusted the rear to full stiff and not full soft? Remember you are turning the opposite way in the rear to adjust compared to the front (because the dampers are "upside down" in the rear). I started out full soft on mine and have been gradually increasing stiffness to get a feel for where I want them. I'm at 9 clicks up from full soft now and it's feeling pretty good. It was very "wallowy" feeling at full soft though...
Thanks, given all the glowing reviews hete and my great experiences with eqt in the past i am guessing i just need to get the preload/travel of the shocks dialed in or something. Yeah i tried them at a bunch of different settings and at the max setting in both directions. Was comically marshmallow squishy at max soft but soaked up potholes like nothing

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Thanks. Would be amazing and super appreciated to get your thread count on the shocks.
Okay so 50 threads from the bottom on the rear shocks and 18 on the springs, and about 10 threads in front from minimum height…. That will dial it in for you

me and Will_ ran those settings, so I know they’re good

Last edited:

Ravenstyle83

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI
I also strongly felt the need to have my EQTs set at 3/4 from full stiff at the front because it was very slow to react or wallowey. Great ride but not sporty. The rears are only half way to full stiff. The car feels great the way it is right now. No more wallow feeling.

Attachments

• 8DD1DE5F-24DC-4538-96D5-17248D502713.jpeg
    8DD1DE5F-24DC-4538-96D5-17248D502713.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 119

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
You want 2.5" diameter, 7" length in the front, and 8" length in the rear. Eibach, Swift, Hyperco, etc.
After ~one year, how are the rear dampers holding up (to the higher spring rate)? Would you still recommend 8” spring length for the rear? How about spring rate, stay the same or lower/higher?

paNX2K&SE-R

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4Mo
After ~one year, how are the rear dampers holding up (to the higher spring rate)? Would you still recommend 8” spring length for the rear? How about spring rate, stay the same or lower/higher?

I liked the way the car felt with the 9k/8k rates and the 8" springs were perfect for the rear. I removed the EQT setup a few months ago but the rears were just as good as new after putting 7000 miles on them. I was however getting a clunk from the front under very specific road conditions. EQT sent me new dampers but I had already removed the coilovers by the time I received them.

If anyone is interested in my EQT coilovers I'm going to be selling the setup, 7000 miles on the rear dampers, 0 miles on the new front dampers.

bdollazzz

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Tornado Red GTI
I liked the way the car felt with the 9k/8k rates and the 8" springs were perfect for the rear. I removed the EQT setup a few months ago but the rears were just as good as new after putting 7000 miles on them. I was however getting a clunk from the front under very specific road conditions. EQT sent me new dampers but I had already removed the coilovers by the time I received them.

If anyone is interested in my EQT coilovers I'm going to be selling the setup, 7000 miles on the rear dampers, 0 miles on the new front dampers.
Probably a long shot, but gotta ask. Do you still have that set by chance or have they sold since posting this?

@paNX2K&SE-R

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I have a set that EQT ( Redshift- I'm so stupid. Sorry, its been a long week) is currently working to resolve some troubles on. It's the new Street kit/Standard kit, along with Camber plates. The spring rates are 5kF/7Kr. I also have 8k/10k springs, however the shocks would need to be re-valved for those to work properly.

Once I get the kit back I'll confirm if they work or not as expected. And if they do there's a strong chance I may sell them if you're interested.
The trouble I've had with it has soured my interest, and tbh even once it does work, I should have gone with something else anyways for my needs.

EDIT: not eqt. I'm an incredible idiot and have nothing of value to add here. Sorry. Nothing to see here

Last edited:

bdollazzz

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Tornado Red GTI
I have a set that EQT is currently working to resolve some troubles on. It's the new Street kit/Standard kit, along with Camber plates. The spring rates are 5kF/7Kr. I also have 8k/10k springs, however the shocks would need to be re-valved for those to work properly.

Once I get the kit back I'll confirm if they work or not as expected. And if they do there's a strong chance I may sell them if you're interested.
The trouble I've had with it has soured my interest, and tbh even once it does work, I should have gone with something else anyways for my needs.
What troubles did you end up running into with your set? Is this "new" kit something they plan on releasing sometime soon? 👀

Where did the EQT set fall short for your current needs and what are you looking at to replace them with?

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
They are already and have been, afaik, pushing the standard kit since last winter. I understand that they are moving away from the BC parts/kits.
Rears are fine, I'm having trouble with the fronts bottoming out. Possibly bad seals which is what they are looking at now.

Overall I daily my car. it's my only car. And coils were Not the right choice for my level of interest in AutoX and DD. I could have picked up a significantly cheaper option and kept it oem+- ish
I went with it because I thought I wanted the customization and the camber plates. Turns out I don't care this much.

EDIT: not eqt. I'm an incredible idiot and have nothing of value to add here. Sorry. Nothing to see here

Last edited:

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
They are already and have been, afaik, pushing the standard kit since last winter. I understand that they are moving away from the BC parts/kits.
Rears are fine, I'm having trouble with the fronts bottoming out. Possibly bad seals which is what they are looking at now.

Overall I daily my car. it's my only car. And coils were Not the right choice for my level of interest in AutoX and DD. I could have picked up a significantly cheaper option and kept it oem+- ish
I went with it because I thought I wanted the customization and the camber plates. Turns out I don't care this much.
Wait, EQT == Redshift???

I've been following along over there, didn't realize they were one and the same.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
F*** nope. Definitely not, and I'm an incredible idiot.
Please ignore everything I say. Always.
Protect yourself. :poop: