GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: EQT Coilovers

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Haven’t seen a ton of reviews for this kit yet so thought I would add my two cents. I just had this installed yesterday so this is more of an initial impression/setup overview. I will post updates as I get more mileage on the setup.

TLDR: So far, it’s fantastic

Background:

I purchased this kit for two main reasons. 1) I wanted the adjustability features, and 2) since adding Superpro camber plates to my APR springs/Bilstein B8 setup, the daily driving attributes of the car has decreased significantly. The APR/Bilstein/Superpro setup I had was great on a backroad and held its own on the track, providing me with about 1.1” drop and 2.2 degrees of front camber. Prior to adding the Superpro plates, the setup was quiet and rode very well. If anything it was a little too soft for my liking, as on larger bumps the dampers were often overwhelmed and would react quite harshly. Once I added the Superpro plates, things took a turn for the worse. While the turn in and mid-corner grip improved significantly, the ride quality got noticeably harsher, and the addition of them introduced a lot of squeaking; rattling, and binding noises. It felt embarrassing to drive the car in a parking lot sometimes because of the noise. I decided it wasn’t worth it, and started looking for a new setup to replace them with. EQT’s kit ticked all the boxes, and I figured by enlarging the strut towers I could achieve similar camber. Now, onto the actual review.

Setup:
I mirrored the setup of these based off photos from @Jovian’s setup. I set front height to 10 threads, rear springs to 18 threads, and rear dampers to 45 threads. This was obviously just preliminary as I wasn’t sure how it’d actually look till it was on the car, but so far it looks like we nailed it. Ride height is at 25” 3/8ths FTG all around with a nice clean gap between fender and wheels.
BE1AF5C0-BB8E-47BF-BF06-57C32F3EA48A.jpeg

For camber, I was under the impression that the pillowball mounts would allow between 0-1.5 degrees of adjustability. I set the camber about 2/3rds to max, and figured that when combined with the camber gains from lowering (generally .8 degrees for every inch lowered) I would be in the relative vicinity of 1.8-2.0 degrees. I am happy to report that it appears I actually am getting more camber than that. I will confirm with an alignment soon but the eye test shows it as more than the 2.2 degrees I had with the Superpro plates. Here is a photo of how it looks in the strut tower. Thanks to the enlargement, I might be able to adjust it without even dropping the strut, just jacking the front wheel off the ground. I will probably move it to a more neutral position for the winter/non-track season.

64A36E84-C555-4E41-A02A-1D0E579F9BEC.jpeg

3FFD6CAF-95E8-4C72-A788-33BAAB4F3010.jpeg

Ride:
As for the ride - so far it has been excellent. I set the dampers at 12 clicks from soft on both front and rear. That is the supposed mid-point as each offers 24 clicks of adjustability. The ride is very smooth, and most importantly, DEAD QUIET. No noises to speak of at all. With how I have it set now, it feels slightly firmer than my old setup, but somehow more comfortable. It really absorbs larger/harsher bumps excellently, so much so I actually found myself aiming for some on my drive home. Cornering wise, I can't speak much to it yet, but I made a left turn at a light pretty damn quick earlier and it was nice and flat. I am going to try a few weeks at full soft to see how I like it, but even at the middle setting it is very liveable. Can’t wait to start turning it up and figuring out the best setup for the track.

Overall, I am extremely happy so far. I also have to give a huge shoutout to @Hammersticks for the install and enlarging the strut towers so cleanly. I haven’t sanded/touched them up yet but it already looks quite clean. The fact that there is zero noise also speaks to the quality of his install in actually torquing things to spec, unlike shops that just brrrt everything with the impact. Also thanks for pointing out I had a nail in my tire :O

I intend to post more updates once I get more mileage with the setup, but for $1250 (less if you buy now with the boost weather sale) I don’t think there’s any better value out there. It’s a really really sweet kit, and the initial quality is very high. I can’t wait to really dial the setup in.

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Thanks, @Will_ ! After installing I took it for a test drive to confirm all was good. I was really impressed with the ride quality and handling on some backroad twisties (with Will’s permission 😄). Interested in long-term feedback but definitely a great start. Enjoy!

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Thanks for the review, seems like a great setup, especially with the current discount. Just as an aside, consider primering and painting those cuts, they likely won't do any more than surface rust, but just cosmetically, easier to treat them now.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Thanks for the review, seems like a great setup, especially with the current discount. Just as an aside, consider primering and painting those cuts, they likely won't do any more than surface rust, but just cosmetically, easier to treat them now.
Thanks, I ordered some touch up paint, going to sand and try to clean them up a little further.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Great review and it further enforces that this is the route I’ll be going..... some day

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Thanks for the writeup, especially with the link to @Hammersticks post about cutting the shock tower. I might end up having to do that too (though I'm not looking forward to it!).

I was pretty set on the EQT coilovers but I'm not so sure now as they charge extra for any spring rate changes. I am still interested to see how these hold up though.

acegp1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
Great review; I hope to meet you at the track one of these days and compare setups!

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Great review; I hope to meet you at the track one of these days and compare setups!
Thanks! I told myself the track day I did last week at Sonoma would be my last of the season, but I’m slowly talking myself into doing a day at Thunderhill in Dec to test the new setup :). If I do, will have some better reports after that.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
how do you feel about the upper strut/shock mounts on the front being solid vs the stock OEM setup?

I am super interested in these but I really value ride quality and have heard bad reviews from other people with camber plates on mk7s making noise and not lasting and being loud (not specifically about EQT coilovers though) and a bummer over potholes

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
how do you feel about the upper strut/shock mounts on the front being solid vs the stock OEM setup?

I am super interested in these but I really value ride quality and have heard bad reviews from other people with camber plates on mk7s making noise and not lasting and being loud (not specifically about EQT coilovers though) and a bummer over potholes

I had noise/clunking with Superpro camber plates but so far nothing with these, they’re dead silent. Also ride has been pretty comfortable so far and I don’t even have the dampers on a soft setting, they’re been on 12/24 stiffness so far.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Also, some photos to give better perspective of ride height and the front camber I’m getting. Getting an alignment done in like two weeks so can report actual results then.
FD5794B2-AF4F-42BE-84EA-131773BEF533.jpeg
89AEDF41-4302-4970-BB05-E47F3700F475.jpeg
F163486D-75EF-4E9F-93A3-E9E69ADB9923.jpeg

I also got under the car today to adjust the rear dampers, it was pretty straightfoward although slightly harder to turn than I expected. Kinda an awkward arm angle. Front is super easy. I set everything to 2 clicks from soft.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Check out post 145 in Hammersticks build thread - this is exactly how it was done. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/hammersticks-less-is-more-mk7-gti.340022/page-10

I think it will need a bigger hole to access each of the four hex screws from the top, however, obviously plenty of room for the piston/adjuster. I don't think you want to get TOO crazy with the hole diameter though, but that's just me.

That said, you may be able to just undo the strut mount nuts on top and drop the whole unit down while it's still in the knuckle. Worst case, the whole unit comes out which is straight forward given their overall length (shorter than stock, and can obviously be adjusted).

@Will_, looking forward to hearing what the front camber ends up being!