GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rev9 Exhaust

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Small update from my side on the newer Rev9 exhaust.

After installing CTS engine and transmission mounts a week ago I definitely have some added exhaust noises.
My armrest started rattling in certain rpms too. I think it's getting better while still braking these new mounts in.
Backing up in reverse on a hill my DP sometimes will hit the first brace (rattle), which I have to get adjusted for some more clearance.
Still think that I have a little leak in the back section where the bend pipe goes into the little resonator. I weren't able to push the pipe further in otherwise the exhaust alignment would be off. Not ideal to have a slip-fit connection right after a radius/bend.

Roughly 3 weeks ago I got rid of the long hot dog resonator and replaced it with a straight 3" 304 SS pipe incl. 2.5" to 3" adapter. Sounds very nice but of course I gained also some drone between 2200 - 3600rpm.

Do you guys think the Vibrant 17950 resonator will make this exhaust perfect for me or is it just a waste of money?

Thanks!

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Well, I disassembled the armrest and got the rattle to go away. There was a panel that needed to be hooked into the other. It was pretty hard to get them together, bit afterwards that rattle was gone. It's two clips where the rear part clips to the front. Hard to describe, but just get in there and check it out.

On the resonator, it's really about your expectations. I was expecting relatively subtle. That's what I got. There's absolutely an improvement. It's just not night and day. I mean, it's a pipe with a perforated pipe inside. Goes straight through. It's going to make it a little more tame. There's no way I'm removing mine.

I'd like a little less drone, but, I'm extremely happy with the setup.

Next stop, for me, is to check out the black rubber hanger the kit came with. Might be a little harder than the stock ones. That might be a source of some of my resonance. There's absolutely nothing touching the body or frame. But it's much more nvh than just the exterior volume increase out the back. Windows down, it's not crazy loud or anything.

Either way, I'm not even a little remorseful. I love the catback and I love the resonator.

Get rid of the armrest rattle and you've solved half your problems. I had dynamat on hand, just didn't need it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Well, I disassembled the armrest and got the rattle to go away. There was a panel that needed to be hooked into the other. It was pretty hard to get them together, bit afterwards that rattle was gone. It's two clips where the rear part clips to the front. Hard to describe, but just get in there and check it out.

On the resonator, it's really about your expectations. I was expecting relatively subtle. That's what I got. There's absolutely an improvement. It's just not night and day. I mean, it's a pipe with a perforated pipe inside. Goes straight through. It's going to make it a little more tame. There's no way I'm removing mine.

I'd like a little less drone, but, I'm extremely happy with the setup.

Next stop, for me, is to check out the black rubber hanger the kit came with. Might be a little harder than the stock ones. That might be a source of some of my resonance. There's absolutely nothing touching the body or frame. But it's much more nvh than just the exterior volume increase out the back. Windows down, it's not crazy loud or anything.

Either way, I'm not even a little remorseful. I love the catback and I love the resonator.

Get rid of the armrest rattle and you've solved half your problems. I had dynamat on hand, just didn't need it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This. Removing that armrest rattle really fixes most of the annoying renosance. That is why I asked you if you removed the plastic thingy in there before. That fixed it for me with my vwr exhaust with added vibrant resonator setup.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Excellent updates. I plan to install this exhaust when college calms down (thanksgiving break probably). I am curious though, are you guys using the clamps it came with to hold the catback together? Any muffler cement on the joints? I was planning to weld as much of it as I could since it gives me peace of mind that nothing will fall off on a road trip.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
This. Removing that armrest rattle really fixes most of the annoying renosance. That is why I asked you if you removed the plastic thingy in there before. That fixed it for me with my vwr exhaust with added vibrant resonator setup.

LOL. Wasn't a thingy, per-se. But I totally get what you meant now.

It did seem to be assembled only partially, when I got in there. Clipped it back together and it seemed more solid.

For anyone getting ideas... I didn't use any tools to pry or force it apart. Just gentle force, respecting how brittle the plastic is. Went to put it back together and noticed two clips, hooking the upper and lower parts together (with the armrest vertical). Had to coax them into place, but afterwards, zero rattle.

No, never used muffler cement before. The clamps are ok, but I plan on grabbing some nicer ones (actual stainless). The little spacer between the ends doesn't sit right on a couple of mine and it dented the pipe. Also, I highly doubt they are actually going to last a winter with the salt here. They work out of the box and do the job, but there are better options.

Last edited:

BiH_GTI

I added my vibrant resonator cut the bigger one out put the vibrant one. Seems like it quit it down over all sound. Seems like it got deeper. But i am thinking of adding the cat back on to see how will it be. But to lazy. I do not have the armrest vibration but i do get the whole car vibration and nothing is touching it could be that one hanger seems lil hard that they provide. And i also got some dynomat waiting to install it one of these days for trunk. Will keep you updated. And also talked to some guys who had 3 inch exhaust on their cars they all said 3 in caused them some kind of vibrations. Also i was thinking the mufflers could be also making it to echo inside or some and we get vibration from it. But I do love the sounds when wot and its stock sounds at idle now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I have been running a catless DP with the stock catback and my only complaint is that the sound is not very deep, I believe adding the vibrant will fix that. As for the Rev9 system and vibration, currently I have a vibration that occurs in the right door panel and sometimes one that occurs above the rear window. I hate to think how bad its gonna get when I throw the catback on it :D

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Any updates from anyone with this exhaust? Are you still running it, how is it holding up, any changes in sound or vibrations over time? I am curious how the rear mufflers will hold up in the long run.

LB_724

I just ordered the kit this evening. I’ll update with sound clips/video when I put it on. My car is all stock minus snow guard removal.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I was about to order the kit for Christmas with the 15% off coupon today and the price is now $1,349? I am contacting the seller about this to see if it was a mistake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292733381358

Last edited:

LB_724

Got my kit today. Hope to get a dry evening this week to install. The packing could have been better. Everything just laying in a box, wrapped in bubble wrap and cardboard tubes. I have pics, but no way to post them.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Got my kit today. Hope to get a dry evening this week to install. The packing could have been better. Everything just laying in a box, wrapped in bubble wrap and cardboard tubes. I have pics, but no way to post them.

Upload them to Imgur then link them here?