GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm sorry, what? VCDS cannot perform Basic Settings? Nonsense. It's had the ability to do so before OBD11 even existed.....
Dont be agressive dude. I have never heard anyone from Ross tech forum or any other forum who was able to do basic setting for front camera module. Also it was discussed here people could not do it with their VCDS, that is why people used ODIS. If you have done it, share the information. We will be happy to hear.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Dont be agressive dude. I have never heard anyone from Ross tech forum or any other forum who was able to do basic setting for front camera module. Also it was discussed here people could not do it with their VCDS, that is why people used ODIS. If you have done it, share the information. We will be happy to hear.
You didn't specify WHICH basic setting. You just said "VCDS can't do basic settings", which is wrong.

nchGAT19

Car(s)
'19 Golf Alltrack SE
It sounds like ODIS is best for doing the static calibration.... Looks like around $80USD on aliexpress.. VAS5054A is okay I assume? I'm just now learning about ODIS and the various VAS cables... If my camera is from a salvaged car, I shouldn't have any CP issues correct?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't think the camera is part of the Component Protection constellation... but as far as CP goes, parts removed from other cars (or new parts for that matter) are the reason CP exists, to prevent people from grabbing a part from one car and putting it another.

nchGAT19

Car(s)
'19 Golf Alltrack SE
Hello,

I have found this topic very interesting and thank you all for all those useful information.
I have tried to retrofit this lane assist camera (5Q0 980 653 F) to my audi A3 V8. I have put it on the back of the internal mirror (with this FPC cable extension) and it fits quite well.
I have done all the coding and static calibration with VCDS successfully. I can see traffic signs recognition works correctly, however my dynamic calibration do not want to complete to start lane assist functionality.
I have driven over 300 km with dynamic calibration active. I can see yaw and pitch offsets changing a little bit (depends on the load in the car) but they are not over the limit. Although, I haven't seen roll parameter changing. I think it may be an issue that block dynamic calibration to complete.
Do you have any idea what can be a reason for this?
I would like to not buy an ODIS for only this purpose and find out that problem was somewhere else.

I will be grateful for any clue.
Thank you
How did you do static calibration with VCDS? Can you share any links or elaborate?

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
You didn't specify WHICH basic setting. You just said "VCDS can't do basic settings", which is wrong.
Seriously? The whole topic here is all about front camera retrofit. Go bother someone else. We are trying to help people here.

Also for people who are interested in static calibration:

Yes ODIS is a great tool for static calibration. After all, it is how it is done at the service centers. However, you can also do static calibration with OBDeleven.

My opinion: it is worth to get the cable for ODIS. You can do adaptations and coding with ODIS. You can also use ODIS E to flash your module to the latest firmware and/or add TJA for your car. Though you need the firmware file ( you can get it from erwin online website) but you also need parameterization file for TJA (some websites sell it for a fee). If you are really into TJA you can also get it using VCP cable, but it is pricey.

Arecki

Car(s)
Audi A3 8V
VCDS has the option to proceed static calibration for the front assist camera.

I cannot confirm it 100% works.
I have tried to calibrate with VCDS, but my camera was somehow faulty and it didn't work even with ODIS.
So finally I have bought another camera and calibrated with ODIS, as I had it already.

Here is the procedure for the VCDS I have for the 5Q0 camera.

1. First, have a good target and correct setup.
In VCDS there is an option to search target, but if it pass it does not mean the setup (height, distance, level, etc) is correct! It just recognized the screen in front of the camera.
2. Go to the camera module:
[A5-Frt Sens. Drv. Assist]
3. Go to the security and enter the code
[Security Access - 16] > Enter shown code (20103)​
4. Go to the adaptation and enter correct values
[Adaptation - 10]
Body height wheel house edge-Body height left front wheel house edge > Enter value > [Do It!]​
Body height wheel house edge-Body height right front wheel house edge > Enter value > [Do It!]​
Body height wheel house edge-Body height left rear wheel house edge > Enter value > [Do It!]​
Body height wheel house edge-Body height right rear wheel house edge > Enter value > [Do It!]​
Distance to calibration field > Enter 1500 > [Do It!]​
5. Go to basic settings and start the calibration process (it shouldn't take long)
[Basic Settings - 04]
Static calibration (customer service)​

If everything goes correct in the advanced measuring values there will be info as follow:
[Show Measuring Data]
IDE00322 Status of basic setting -> not active​
IDE02057 Dynamic calibration: status -> active​

If procedure fails there is no information why and this is the worst in VCDS. However maybe the static calibration status in the measured data shows more info, I haven't tried it.
You have to try until it pass. I have tried many times, but when finally found correct setup it was passing almost every time I have performed it. And I have tried many times as I had faulty camera and seen no results.
All the coding should be completed and wires has to be connected before calibration. There should be only one fault present [No basic settings].

There is additional info that may help with setup, but it is not 100% required:
- Charger connected > Doors must be closed > Maybe hood closed (not mentioned in erwin)
- No persons in the car > Min. 50% fuel in the tank > No light reflections in the room
- Move front wheels to straight-ahead position.

One information than can be useful and I wasn't aware.
The assistance camera should start to do its job whenever the static calibration is successfully completed. Do not need the dynamic calibration to finish (of course if all angles are within the limits). In my case the dynamic calibration is still active and camera is working correctly.

Good luck.
Arek

Last edited:

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Hey, most of the parts have arrived.
Do you guys have any recommendations on what to use to glue the bracket to the windshield?

I Know VW Has a 2 part epoxy they use, But i dont want to wait another month for it.

Is this any good? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FW61EW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
I used window weld on a mk6 gti to hold the rain sensor bracket. held up to the heat. the heat is whats gonna make the glue fail, window weld will hold up to the heat.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Dont be agressive dude. I have never heard anyone from Ross tech forum or any other forum who was able to do basic setting for front camera module. Also it was discussed here people could not do it with their VCDS, that is why people used ODIS. If you have done it, share the information. We will be happy to hear
I would just ignore him. He is an angressive wanker, not one for helping people either.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
If you're going to be belligerent, at least spell aggressive correctly.
If your going to use words, maybe make sure you know what they mean first. I was neither hostile, or aggressive.