GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Been playing around with the TSR. I was so wrong on my assumption regarding the adaption channels Par_country_mode. I tried changing this setting and I was not able to. Tried the security code, changing the session type to VW diagnostic still no go.

I did do another calibration after the TSR coding. I think it improved the recognition but I'm still not able to get it to recognize speed limit signs in Texas. I'm pretty sure they all use the same font across the US. But it does pick up my local high way sign as a speed sign more consistently 🤣.
This is probably because sign recognition is programmed for european signs. That is the reason I read from other forums that sign recognition is reading highway signs as speed limit signs. As far as I understand, there is no fix. Thanks for the details though.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
This is probably because sign recognition is programmed for european signs. That is the reason I read from other forums that sign recognition is reading highway signs as speed limit signs. As far as I understand, there is no fix. Thanks for the details though.
So after all my testing, I came to the same conclusion. I think the guys that have it working in the US all have the MIB radios (I don't). Maybe it does recognize there is a sign but somehow defaults to looking up at the navigation unit's database to figure out what it is instead of what the camera sees. Total speculation but glad to hear your input.

Rapier

Car(s)
A3 8v polo
Hi all new poster on here but long time reader. Well done on all your work . A quick question .if installing a USED 5q camera onto the back of the mirror mod . Would it need calibrating for use with only traffic sigh and high beam assist functions ? Cheers

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
My experience has been that, until / unless the camera is calibrated, it offers no functionality at all.

Mine not only didn't work with high beam assist, but the rain sensor also didn't work.

Rapier

Car(s)
A3 8v polo
Thanks . Was it a used camera ? if it’s been calibrated onto a previous car I would have thought the high beam and traffic would work if mounted in similar positions

Sn00ky

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 variant DSG
Thanks Man!

I Followed a Few guides and combined them all into one.
It should be really easy to do them, the only problem i had is In A5 Byte 0(Which is the setting for enabling lane assist in the camera itself) when it is unticked it says Active, So the lane assist did not work for me until i Enabled it.

I Will Make a list of all the changes i made and post it here.

the 2 can wires for the ACC Radar are on the left of the Drivers footwell (LHD)

When you take off the trim that has the engine unlock thing you will see a few connectors ( pic attached).

Then Check if the Black connector( In the diagram it says brown but i cant see a brown connector so it must be the black one) has Can Bus wires coming from the front of the car there to pins 11 and 9. Then you just connect them to the connector and you are done.

Pin 1 of the camera goes to pin 11 (Low)
Pin 7 of the camera goes to pin 9 (High)

Hi All!

Have been reading the posts 5 times and crossrefering my findings with different approaches. Seriously thanks to yall!

at the moment wiring the lane assist on a mk7 variant. I have connected all except the 12v plus

Is there someone than could confirm if the connection off acc and camera (high and low) both can go on the extended CAN (high speed) wires (high and low)in the black connector? The difference is max 0,5v but don’t want to screw up things!

Thanks in advance

BBC5DC50-A2D3-4D15-814F-156D6CE4A261.jpeg58B36821-8AB1-478C-B21E-4AD96F49772C.jpeg

Rapier

Car(s)
A3 8v polo
Hi . I have connected mine on the a3 8v which is pratically the same to can hi orange grey and can low orange brown which works perfectly . Im stuck at the calibration point now. Are you doing yourself?

Sn00ky

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 variant DSG
Yes, doing it by myself (DIY, dont tell my wife)

So both wires needs can extended connection? High gray and low brown

will order the calibration board via AliExpress, just want to make sure everything works with no mayor errors (except for calibration)

where are you stuck at? (Going try and use OBDELEVEN for calibration)

Last edited:

Rapier

Car(s)
A3 8v polo
Yes that is correct with my a3. The high beam assist worked so must be ok. A goid way to check befire calibration is to code hba clear faults and without turning off ignition go for test run. As soon as you cycle the ignition the fault returns.
I have only vcds . Have you a link please for calibration board

Sn00ky

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 variant DSG
Finally got the balls too add the 12v ignited plus on the control module of lane assist

first try: 5 errors regarding the camera malfunctioning -> FFC was placed wrong 😑

second try: 3 errors see below:
Are these the ones that should remain when no calibration and adjustments of a5 module has been done?

B2287B40-02F0-43B1-A25A-60A40794851F.png

From top to down:

1:?
2: camera needs calibration
3: could be that the module is still configured with old setting will update list of setting that has to be changed:

-lance change assist is enabled (don’t have)
-offcourse the cameraheather which is not there?
-the manufacturer selected is audi (dont have)
-light high beam selected is only light (need to select high beam and dynamic light assist
-headlights type selected is led ( i have xenon)
-trailer module selected is not installed (is installed)

Last edited: