GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Thanks to drawings provided by several folks in this thread I have all but confirmed my car has no can extended wiring. Looking through everything, can extended is connected to several modules (front camera, front radar, headlamp range control, high beam assist module, blind spot detection module 1 & 2)... none of which I have in my TDI S, haha.

Fortunately I've already ordered that can bus extension harness I pictured a few posts back. It will make the addition of can bus extended wiring into my car a trivial matter and will be relatively clean. Unfortunately, it is coming slow boat from overseas; slower/slowest boat considering the state of things.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I am sorry to carry bad news but if the car has no options that require EXT CAN then you probably don't have a HIGH Gateway.

it means it doesn't have the pins, just like the BCM for heated seats.

can you pull module 19 info with VCDS and post here?

oh, should you need to replace the gateway, it's gonna be another blood bath with THAT dealer :(

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Haha, I think I'm done with the dealer... but they did get the adaptations done finally. Gateway has been replaced with highline version already, did it with Jack from Poland Monday of last week.

*Replaced with part number called out in ETKA... bought a used one eBay

Last edited:

Camarao69

Passed Driver's Ed
OK here is the camera box Files and Fotos.
1- You have to cut the decal by making a line with the mirror cover (inside).
2- you can print the cover (it is in the camera box file to) or make if from aluminium like i did using the dfx file below

Camera Box
Decal
Aluminium Cover

20200322_233219.jpg20200322_233240.jpg20200322_234718.jpg20200324_141322.jpg20200327_183756.jpg20200327_123832.jpg20200326_182600.jpg20200327_142023.jpg20200401_124353.jpg

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
2- you can print the cover (it is in the camera box file to) or make if from aluminium like i did using the dfx file below

Camera Box
Decal
Aluminium Cover
very nice! can you post a pic from the driver's point of view? interested in seeing if the view is obstructed much.

and thanks for sharing all the files for free.

Camarao69

Passed Driver's Ed
My black plug is in the right side, do you think there is a problem with that ,they have the correct cable colors. My car has front assist from oem do i need to connect them directly to acc radar ?

20200403_183604.jpg

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie

Camera Box
Decal
Aluminium Cover

View attachment 168958View attachment 168959View attachment 168960View attachment 168961View attachment 168962View attachment 168963View attachment 168965View attachment 168964View attachment 168966
Be careful with your design, a guy on this thread went on the same idea as you did but when he tried to calibrate the camera ODIS said the camera is too low, the camera has to be in a specific height range from the ground( different for each car), you cant just mount it anywhere on the windshield.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
View attachment 169183does the rouge thing have to come completly of ?
Yes, take it all the way out. The pins will not remove unless they are de-pinned, so you don't need to worry about any falling out.

I was able to remove the terminals only to find out they are not the same as the ones from the harness , i gess my only solution is to well the harness to the terminals directly.
View attachment 169236
I had a similar problem. The can wires from my harness did not fit in the TIUL coupler properly. I altered them a little bit with a pair of pliers and shoved them in. Ugly, but it worked. I will probably order new crimps and fix it properly in the future.