GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

gianry

Ready to race!
Black green wire is the postive. It must be connected to Fuse 32
Black connector is the jumping connection to extended bus (pin 7 - pin 17 gateway )

Luiz Henrique

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks, I just had a question regarding the black connector (gateway), - is it necessary to connect the black connector? or is it only necessary to connect the Can cables to the gateway?
Tell me, when I connect the Cam cables to the Gateway, will there be any system failure? I didn't see anything on the forum talking about it.

Last edited:

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Im not sure if it can be changed, it sounds like a safety thing.
Agreed on the safety feature. I was just reading somewhere that some European cars have 50 seconds to 2 mins instead of 3 seconds. I thought it can be a regional regulation that defines the length of ACC to be active at full stop. Thanks anyway

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello to all

Bsalih can you please share the dimentions of the 2 blue parts you have made ? It's very well designed. What kind of material is it ?
I will try to do this retrofit to i'm just waiting for the camera and cables to arrive.

About the bracket it self , the point of the screws is to adjust the angle of the camera to the correct position , does the angle have to be diferent from car to car ? Shouldn't it be the same as the mirror is the same for us all ?

Sorry for all the questions.

Let me measure the dimensions and get back to you since it is custom made without any measurements.
Regarding screws; yes they are to adjust the angle of the camera. You might get away without them but if the angle is off by 2-3 degrees (combined of yaw pitch and roll, i think) you will have either calibration errors or dynamic calibration errors. So it is better to keep them. I had to adjust angles after installing both for initial calibration and for dynamic calibration. I fine tuned it at a level where the pitch and yaw angles are practically zero. There is not much you can do with roll angle with this setup. In my case; yaw: 0.040 pitch:0.050 and roll:0.560. These are dynamic calibration values and they are very low (except roll angle). Initial calibration values are slightly higher but at acceptable levels.

You are assuming that all cars are same and angles will be same but the tolerance is so low that you might need these screws. I'd recommend to have these, but if you want a simpler setup, feel free to give it a try and let us know. Based on reaper's experience I straight went with this setup.

Luiz Henrique

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Good night, can someone help me, I'm about to connect the cam network cable from the camera to the gateway, I'm in doubt if this is the point to be connected in parallel gateway / camera. according to drawing
IMG_E0071.JPG

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
You have the same harness I used. You are on the correct path.

Basically, what you're going to do is pull the two wires that you're pointing to (the Orange/Grey and Orange/Brown wires that are plugged into the 17-pin black connector) and plug those into the "female" ports of the small black connector you're holding in your hand. That black connector is effectively a splitter - takes one wire coming in and splits it two ways: The short ends on the other end of your two-port black connector simply go back into the ports on the 17-pin black connector; the long ends (that big roll of OR/BR and OR/GR CAN twisted wire) go to the ACC camera.

Now, having said all that, I ran into an issue where my metal terminal ends did not fit into the connector - maybe you'll have better luck than I did. After trying numerous times, I ended up cutting the wires and using heat-shrink butt connectors to change the terminal ends from one to the other..

TIUL.splice.png

Last edited:

Camarao69

Passed Driver's Ed
Let me measure the dimensions and get back to you since it is custom made without any measurements.
Regarding screws; yes they are to adjust the angle of the camera. You might get away without them but if the angle is off by 2-3 degrees (combined of yaw pitch and roll, i think) you will have either calibration errors or dynamic calibration errors. So it is better to keep them. I had to adjust angles after installing both for initial calibration and for dynamic calibration. I fine tuned it at a level where the pitch and yaw angles are practically zero. There is not much you can do with roll angle with this setup. In my case; yaw: 0.040 pitch:0.050 and roll:0.560. These are dynamic calibration values and they are very low (except roll angle). Initial calibration values are slightly higher but at acceptable levels.

You are assuming that all cars are same and angles will be same but the tolerance is so low that you might need these screws. I'd recommend to have these, but if you want a simpler setup, feel free to give it a try and let us know. Based on reaper's experience I straight went with this setup.

Ok i think these are the correct dimentions.
Are those screws m3 ?
Sketch.jpg

Last edited:

Luiz Henrique

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
You have the same harness I used. You are on the correct path.

Basically, what you're going to do is pull the two wires that you're pointing to (the Orange/Grey and Orange/Brown wires that are plugged into the 17-pin black connector) and plug those into the "female" ports of the small black connector you're holding in your hand. That black connector is effectively a splitter - takes one wire coming in and splits it two ways: The short ends on the other end of your two-port black connector simply go back into the ports on the 17-pin black connector; the long ends (that big roll of OR/BR and OR/GR CAN twisted wire) go to the ACC camera.

Now, having said all that, I ran into an issue where my metal terminal ends did not fit into the connector - maybe you'll have better luck than I did. After trying numerous times, I ended up cutting the wires and using heat-shrink butt connectors to change the terminal ends from one to the other..

View attachment 166550
Perfect Nuje, I already made the connections, THANK YOU SO MUCH. Note: it was necessary to make the amendments with a contrail term, due to the metallic pins being very bulky. For now, I only launched the cable and connections, from now on I will install the devices.
I have in the following material:
- Camera 5T0.
- Camera 3T0 (for testing).
- Cover 5G0.868.437A.
- Camera support 5NA.868.033.
- Rearview 3G0.857.511 AE.
- Flat cable 20mm.
- Flat cable splice.

Luiz Henrique

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Good afternoon, guys, I had a question about installing the 3Q0 camera, I saw in a post here that it (camera) was not compatible with the GTI 2015 radar (prior to the facelift), that the camera only worked with the radar of glass, well, I saw in a video the GTE 2019 using a 3Q0 camera with a radar of the model (old), all of it manufactures. So it leads me to believe that the Radar (bumper) works with the camera 3Q0.

Luiz Henrique

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Good afternoon, guys what solution did you find to connect the 12V power cable, I tried to put an adapter (device that leaves a cable available above), however there are two fuses that hinder the placement of that adapter. you already tried to dismantle the fuse box to connect the cable behind the base of the box.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This thread is awesome, and long; read through it twice today. I think I've got a good understanding of coding required, combination of working/non-working parts, and wiring. My question is...

Has anyone using the "camera in mirror housing cover" method done this on a car that does/did not have rain/light sensing mirror? Looking at Piotr's guide on mqb.pl and Reaper1's pictures everyone seems to have rain/light sensor. Piotr's guide says to buy the Mk7.5/B8 rearview mirror. These mirrors (from what it looks like to me) clip onto the rain/light sensor where my standard mirror has a different (half turn) mounting base.

For some time I have been wanting to purchase the auto-dimming mirror with home-link. Looking at this picture (taken from Shopdap site) of the mirror I would be installing, does anyone know if the rear view mirror cover (with light assist camera cutout), P/N 3G0858548A9B9 will fit in place of the (presumably empty) cover that comes on this mirror? They look to be roughly the same shape at the base but I can't get a good read on the overall height.
Rear View.jpg

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
My man Cuzoe shows up! I was wondering how long it'd take before you found this retrofit thread. :D

The mirror uses the same quarter-turn attachment, regardless of whether you have the rain sensor or not. The rain sensor simply sits in the centre of the circle formed by the attachment ridges glued to the windshield.

I can't say "every" for 100% sure, but just in looking at my car and the three windshields I've seen on it, my wife's (MQB) A3, I *think* that every MQB mirror will clamp to any MQB windshield.

The trick becomes where the windshield mount is situated - one of the windshields I looked at had it up right next to the headliner / interior lighting switches. My mirror (which was situated about 6" down from that point) would not fit because the neck was angled incorrectly.

This diagram might help you out (from this page). Note that even though part #4 and part #9 are numbered differently in the diagram, the page lists them as the same part number. Also, my car originally had a mirror/camera/cap that looks a lot like #3 or #8, but it most definitely did NOT fit with the cover / cap / windshield mount that works with my 3Q0-camera ready windshield. The mirror I had to buy was 3G0857511AC - which had longer neck to fit around that surround shown in the #13 mirror here.
image.png

(BTW, pm me if you're looking for a 3Q0 camera - I might have a spare. :))

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Snapped some pictures, and took one from Piotr's guide. This is my mirror and it's attach point...
IMG_20200301_223707.jpgIMG_20200301_223744.jpg
And this is the Mk7.5 mirror picture taken from Piotr's guide.
Screenshot_20200301-224019__01.jpg
This looks like no. 18 in the parts breakdown you posted. To me it doesn't "look" like this will attach to my window.

Last edited:

sopskysalat

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wanna drop a thinker, does anyone try to remove those black dotted paint on windscreen? I read a guy who had it removed, fixed up the bracket and done without replacing glass and breaking up the camera housing.