GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
If the ACC is factory then you just need to run the wires to the footwell and connect it to the TIUL coupling point, VW already ran wires from the acc to the footwell, all you need to do is connect the camera to these wires.
The factory ACC (J428 in the diagram) has CAN wires (or/ws and or/br) that run to the TIUL from pins 5 and 6, respectively on the ACC radar. Pins 2 and 3 (or/gr and or/br) from ACC are the ones that run from pretty much directly from ACC radar unit to Front Assist camera (pins 8 and 2 on the 12-pin front camera connector); these are the ones I have to get through the firewall.

And like others have posted, there's a rubber grommet right near the big mass of wires going through the firewall - poke a hole in that, pull it through from underneath the battery tray (remove that first) - easy routing out to the front of the car.

Luiz Henrique

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Sorry, I ended up having more doubts, kkkk
Please make a diagram (by hand) showing all connections, from the camera, through the connectors. Describing the connectors. To facilitate connections, showing with factory ACC and another diagram without the factory AC. thanks for the support.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
The factory ACC (J428 in the diagram) has CAN wires (or/ws and or/br) that run to the TIUL from pins 5 and 6, respectively on the ACC radar. Pins 2 and 3 (or/gr and or/br) from ACC are the ones that run from pretty much directly from ACC radar unit to Front Assist camera (pins 8 and 2 on the 12-pin front camera connector); these are the ones I have to get through the firewall.

And like others have posted, there's a rubber grommet right near the big mass of wires going through the firewall - poke a hole in that, pull it through from underneath the battery tray (remove that first) - easy routing out to the front of the car.

please check the connector on your acc radar to see if it has wires on pins 5 and 6, if it does then you DO NOT need to run additional wires outside of the cabin.

If it does not then you should run the wires to the TIUL coupling point like in the factory

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
If the ACC is factory then you just need to run the wires to the footwell and connect it to the TIUL coupling point, VW already ran wires from the acc to the footwell, all you need to do is connect the camera to these wires.
Are we sure on this? The wiring diagram I posted above shows the "Extended CAN" wires that need to be run to have the ACC and Front Assist communicating (#2,#8 on R242 camera connector, to #2,#3 on J428 (ACC) on the wiring diagram). (?)
Screenshot 2020-02-11 13.52.11.png

Screenshot 2020-02-11 14.00.38.png

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Are we sure on this? The wiring diagram I posted above shows the "Extended CAN" wires that need to be run to have the ACC and Front Assist communicating (#2,#8 on R242 camera connector, to #2,#3 on J428 (ACC) on the wiring diagram). (?)
View attachment 165214

View attachment 165215

first of all check if pins 5 and 6 on your radar's connector are occupied if they are then the wires go somewhere, if there arent any wires there then you will just need to run them all the way to the camera.

and there is a hole in the firewall for that.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
View attachment 165214

View attachment 165215

If you have ACC from factory then it SHOULD be wired to the TIUL point. However for myself that wasn't the case and it seems others didn't have these wired either. The best thing to do is check the actual radar connector and see how many cables go to it.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh wow... What a coincidence xD

Whilst I was typing that, Reaper replied too. Exactly as Reaper said - check for the fifth and sixth cable to the radar :)

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
For me I was able to bend down and look at the bottom of my radar through the bumper. Here you will see a cable sleeve going to the radar, you may have to slide it down a little, then it will reveal the cables - I had 4, if you have 6 then the additional canbus is pre-wired ans should go to the TIUL point.

Sadly I don't have any photos...

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
I will send share the fault codes.

About dynamic calibrations: I think it does change angles dynamically every 10-15 mins. Thatvis what I have experienced when I connected my vcds and changed angles for fine tuning. But making these changes were not my part of my prbolems.

5th thing is related to ACC and traffic jam assist. The ACC can stop the car if the car in front of you has full stop. My config is probably has 3 seconds limit that car in front of me needs to move so ACC can move my car along with the car in front of me. If more than 3 seconds of stop, then I need to press gas pedal for re-engaging the ACC.
Really weird t

Really weird that its not staying on but to know what the problem is check the fault codes.

I found that whwn performing the Dynamic calibration you need to drive with your hands on the wheel and not let the car drive itself.
It learns from your actions.

Didnt really understand what you meant in the 5th issue.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
thats not what i said, he asked if he needs to add additional wires to connect to his ACC radar but he already has two pairs of CAN wires, whether it will work with old ACC i dont know.

We need info from someone with ACC in his car (mine does not have ACC so i cannot help)
My car has factory ACC but I did not have ACC 2-wiring to TIUL. I did a direct wiring setup from ACC to the camera. It worked as expected.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I will send share the fault codes.

About dynamic calibrations: I think it does change angles dynamically every 10-15 mins. Thatvis what I have experienced when I connected my vcds and changed angles for fine tuning. But making these changes were not my part of my prbolems.

5th thing is related to ACC and traffic jam assist. The ACC can stop the car if the car in front of you has full stop. My config is probably has 3 seconds limit that car in front of me needs to move so ACC can move my car along with the car in front of me. If more than 3 seconds of stop, then I need to press gas pedal for re-engaging the ACC.

Im not sure if it can be changed, it sounds like a safety thing.

Camarao69

Passed Driver's Ed
After a lojg wait for the cover, I have completed the behind-the-mirror setup.

I have previously worked on ACC wiring from front to inside of the car via firewall rubber port.
Next, I will complete rest of the wiring. And software setup will be following. Once I complete all the setup, I am inclined to perform firmware update for the camera and add features by doing so. View attachment 161675View attachment 161678
View attachment 161676View attachment 161677View attachment 161678View attachment 161680View attachment 161679View attachment 161681
Hello to all

Bsalih can you please share the dimentions of the 2 blue parts you have made ? It's very well designed. What kind of material is it ?
I will try to do this retrofit to i'm just waiting for the camera and cables to arrive.

About the bracket it self , the point of the screws is to adjust the angle of the camera to the correct position , does the angle have to be diferent from car to car ? Shouldn't it be the same as the mirror is the same for us all ?

Sorry for all the questions.

Luiz Henrique

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I already have almost all the material, to start the installation, however I was unable to identify the location of the installation of the green / black cable and the network connector can for the gateway. Someone can help!
IMG_E0042.JPG