GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
So today I ran the wiring harness for my 3Q0 camera. Still undecided on how I will mount it, but is there any harm with connecting the camera prior to calibration?

Will it upset ACC or AFS or anything else on the CAN gateway?

Is it possible to code things like sign recognition or high beam assist without calibration?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
you can connect it and code everything if you want, but nothing will work before calibration.

it's been said many times :p
I know it will not work without calibration. What I am more concerned with is having it connected and not calibrated will that cause any other issues?

I don't want my ACC to stop working just because the camera isn't calibrated.

Camarao69

Passed Driver's Ed
Be careful with your design, a guy on this thread went on the same idea as you did but when he tried to calibrate the camera ODIS said the camera is too low, the camera has to be in a specific height range from the ground( different for each car), you cant just mount it anywhere on the windshield.
Reaper thanks for your reply , i hope there will be no problem with the box , let me tell you how i did it.
I fount a 3d bracket for tiguan ( the guy said it works) i only used the part where the camera fits , then made some research ,the windshield for my car that has the bracket for the camera , i'm almost sure is the same as the tiguan.
If it doesn't fit all i have to do is buy the windshield i hope im lucky.

Last edited:

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I know it will not work without calibration. What I am more concerned with is having it connected and not calibrated will that cause any other issues?

I don't want my ACC to stop working just because the camera isn't calibrated.
No problems. I've had my camera in the car for weeks now while I try to figure out how to get my calibration board set up - ACC still works fine. Only "issue" is that I get LANE ASSIST and SIGN RECOGNITION error when I first start the car - which I fully expect; "No Basic Settings" is the only error on my A5 module.

Oh - and high beam assist no longer works because it's now integrated into the (non-calibrated) A5 camera.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
No problems. I've had my camera in the car for weeks now while I try to figure out how to get my calibration board set up - ACC still works fine. Only "issue" is that I get LANE ASSIST and SIGN RECOGNITION error when I first start the car - which I fully expect; "No Basic Settings" is the only error on my A5 module.

Oh - and high beam assist no longer works because it's now integrated into the (non-calibrated) A5 camera.
perfect, thank you

Camarao69

Passed Driver's Ed
Skoda superb
20200410_013255_copy_567x1008.jpg

Only 4 cables, in mine ,cant find the firewall grommit to pass the cable , searched everywere.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok i think these are the correct dimentions.
Are those screws m3 ?
View attachment 166950
Yes, they were m3 screws. I have purchased a 3D printer base stage screws (they came with screws, nuts, and springs). To be honest, you can just by the screws from anywhere. The springs were too stiff. I instead bought a long spring from ACE and cut it into several pieces.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello so here is my bracket thanks to the design of bsalih

what i have used:

3mx2cm screws- bought in a 3d printer mounting shop 2€
3 spring -bought in a 3d printer mounting shop 2€
3 precision nuts-bought in a 3d printer mounting shop 3€
3 aluminium laser cutted pieces. Laser Cut 5€

The bigger piece must be bent in a vise accordingly

View attachment 167003 View attachment 167004
View attachment 167005

Looks really cool. The bottom part of the longer metal piece can be discarded since you used a very tough metal piece. While I was creating this piece, I had the idea that bottom part can have another anchor point to hold the whole assembly. But later, I realized it was not even necessary since single screw on the top holds the whole thing very well.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Just recently, I have replaced the 20cm cable with 10cm cable and I found the following:

When I get an error (ACC not available), I had to stop the car, turn off and turn on to have the whole thing work again. After 10cm installation, I got an ACC not available error again, but this time, it did disappear within a second and I did not have to turn off and on the car. I believe the longer cables cause all kinds of issues with 3q systems. Just FYI.

Also 10cm flex cable is long enough and reaches to the camera board unit when it is stuffed on top of the mirror.

I have a feeling that my firmware is too new I am using L version with TJA. I heard this is for AUDI systems. Maybe, I should go back to H version which is the last firmware for VW systems.
Maybe because I use L version, I do get intermittent errors like (ACC not available, or lane assistance does not stay on when car is turned off/on).

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Skoda superb View attachment 169748

Only 4 cables, in mine ,cant find the firewall grommit to pass the cable , searched everywere.

Firewall pass is very close the side of the car. Search that area. I also had a hard time finding it. Best way is to check from footwell. There might be bunch of insulators. Feel free to partially remove them (easy to install back), then you will find it. Poke a whole and put a hard stick and you can check from the engine bay.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello bsalih
I´m facing the 20 cm problem can you take a picture to what you have done please ?
I own a skoda superb mk3, i have removed the dome lights but can´t even see space to pass the ground cable, there is a black plastic (from the headliner) that doesn´t let me see anything, i have to lower the roof.
Does anyone now how to remove those 2 clips ?
View attachment 167563

Thank you

Do you see that black screw in the middle towards the right side. That is where I have connected the ground.

My opinion, do not try to remove the clips, I did not remove them. In fact, my plan is to use a camera mirror cover (big one) (like Luiz Henrique used on the post below your post). Ceiling is not a good option for 3q0 systems with modified camera mounts, unfortunately.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone have a link or the measurements for setting up the calibration board in relation to the car?

I have the board printed and I set it 150cm from the centre of the front wheel hubs, with the middle white rectangle at the same level as the camera....and ODIS reported "no target seen" (or wording to that effect).

I thought I'd seen the layout earlier in this thread, but on quick pass-through (again), I couldn't find it.

Here you go:
https://www55.zippyshare.com/v/j0CSm9qk/file.html