GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Any pointers on the ODIS - S Version to perform the calibrations ?

I do have the VAS Cable with bluetooth and OKI chip enabled, however the version ODIS S - 5.0.4 no longer seems to work with license expiration issues. So Any known older versions supporting the calibrations and performing basic settings will be helpful.

With the camera mounted, wired and all VCDS Setups completed, it is still unusable as the basic settings and calibrations are not completed from ODIS.

Thanks.

I Used 4.3.3

Give it a shot, although i used ODIS With a cable and not bluetooth, not sure whats the difference but thought it was important enough to say.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, I'm back!

Firstly, it's nice to see some more people working on this and congrats to the guys that got it all sorted and working!

After a lot of other things going on and not having the time to continue with this, I am now ready to attempt it again! I have just fitted the Helix audio in my car and during that I had the trim off so I checked the connector blocks in the footwell. Unfortunately it looks like the cables to the brown connector for my ACC unit aren't there... I had a quick look at the radar in my front grill and I can only see 4 cables coming down from the connector...
That is not what I expected at all as my ACC is factory fitted. From my understanding the ACC should have 6 cables, 2 for power, 2 extended canbus and then an additional 2 that goes to the TIUL point that would connect to the camera.

I have the original style ACC radar and the camera I bought for this project is the 5Q0 - does anyone know if is it essential to connect them together or will lane assist work without? (I think its been mentioned before, but its been a while and I've forgotten and can't find any info on it).

The only other option is to run the cable from the ACC radar, into the car, but then I have to go through the firewall and find out more info on the connector that is on the ACC unit.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, I'm back!

Firstly, it's nice to see some more people working on this and congrats to the guys that got it all sorted and working!

After a lot of other things going on and not having the time to continue with this, I am now ready to attempt it again! I have just fitted the Helix audio in my car and during that I had the trim off so I checked the connector blocks in the footwell. Unfortunately it looks like the cables to the brown connector for my ACC unit aren't there... I had a quick look at the radar in my front grill and I can only see 4 cables coming down from the connector...

That is not what I expected at all as my ACC is factory fitted. From my understanding the ACC should have 6 cables, 2 for power, 2 extended canbus and then an additional 2 that goes to the TIUL point that would connect to the camera.

I have the original style ACC radar and the camera I bought for this project is the 5Q0 - does anyone know if is it essential to connect them together or will lane assist work without? (I think its been mentioned before, but its been a while and I've forgotten and can't find any info on it).

The only other option is to run the cable from the ACC radar, into the car, but then I have to go through the firewall and find out more info on the connector that is on the ACC unit.

Welcome back. Glad to see more people are involving in this project, so we better have understanding for us and other people who wants to do this retrofit.

I also have the factory ACC. I bought the 3Q0 camera unit. I havent got the all parts yet, so I didnt pay attention to checking the connection setup. But I will take a look and see if it can help to understand what to expect from a factory fitted ACC unit. I have a 2019 e-golf se by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Welcome back. Glad to see more people are involving in this project, so we better have understanding for us and other people who wants to do this retrofit.

I also have the factory ACC. I bought the 3Q0 camera unit. I havent got the all parts yet, so I didnt pay attention to checking the connection setup. But I will take a look and see if it can help to understand what to expect from a factory fitted ACC unit. I have a 2019 e-golf se by the way.

Hey!

Also it was myself that first mentioned the Aliexpress harness and it not having the ACC canbus lines. I purchased a pair of twisted canbus cables separate and will tape them into the harness when I run it.

It will be interesting to see if you have the cables for ACC into the footwell then. I've just been looking back through this thread and found this post from gc9n :

i have ACC radar , i just didnt knew it !!

Next step

camera pin 1 >> To CanBus 2 Brown Plug pin 11 ACC
camera pin 7 >> To CanBus 2 Brown Plug pin 9 ACC

the only way to verify this

is to find a mk7 or MQB platfor wiring diagram for the a-pilar plugs , (the black plug is exactly the same for skoda MQB with MK7), and if it works i ll make a dedicated thread for the 3q0 cameras

I had a look an I checked the brown plug (I guess the one in the top right, it's not quite brown, but its the closest out of all the coloured connectors!)
Pin 11 and 9 have nothing for me on either side and thats when I checked my radar and can only see 4 cables. I'm wondering if it's because my golf is a 2013 model, it is one of the early ones.
With yours being a 2019, you might have better luck.

From what I remember (but I might be wrong) the 3Q0 camera required the ACC connection, but the 5Q0 it wasn't essential. If that is true, I'd be interested to know if it has any affect on the lane assist.

Tbh, I'm tempted to cable everything else asap anyway and start test mounting the camera. Even just traffic sign and high beam assist would be nice until I get on with the other stuff.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey guys, I'm back!

Look who's back [emoji16]

The fact that there are no wires from the radar to the footwell area is weird, they should be there from factory

Yes this is exectly how the wiring should be but it isnt in your case, connecting the camera and the radar is mandatory, it will not work without it. So your only option is to run a pair of wires from the camera all the way to the radar.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Look who's back [emoji16]

The fact that there are no wires from the radar to the footwell area is weird, they should be there from factory

Yes this is exectly how the wiring should be but it isnt in your case, connecting the camera and the radar is mandatory, it will not work without it. So your only option is to run a pair of wires from the camera all the way to the radar.

Hey Reaper!

It's nice to be back! I've got the urge to retrofit again! Since I've been gone I fitted front and rear dashcams, all hardwired, with nothing visible, a tracker and then the Helix sub. I'm now looking back at this project and thinking about retrofitting side assist/blind spot detection too (got to have a look for any info/guides on this - the kit is fairly easy to get, I just need to enquire about getting a RHD version).

Ah, thanks for the info, looks like I'll have to run the cable then - time to look further into it and access routes into the cab...
I agree it's very strange that these cables are missing from factory.

Out of interest, is it possible to enable high beam assist and traffic sign recognition and use them with lane assist not enabled or will I run into errors? Also does the calibration need to be completed for this or is it only once I try to enable lane assist that this is required? (I'm tempted to start with just them, then add lane assist shortly after)

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey Reaper!

It's nice to be back! I've got the urge to retrofit again! Since I've been gone I fitted front and rear dashcams, all hardwired, with nothing visible, a tracker and then the Helix sub. I'm now looking back at this project and thinking about retrofitting side assist/blind spot detection too (got to have a look for any info/guides on this - the kit is fairly easy to get, I just need to enquire about getting a RHD version).

Ah, thanks for the info, looks like I'll have to run the cable then - time to look further into it and access routes into the cab...
I agree it's very strange that these cables are missing from factory.

Out of interest, is it possible to enable high beam assist and traffic sign recognition and use them with lane assist not enabled or will I run into errors? Also does the calibration need to be completed for this or is it only once I try to enable lane assist that this is required? (I'm tempted to start with just them, then add lane assist shortly after)

Hmm, after the static calibration sign assist and HBA will work with lane assist deactivated ( by coding) but when you get on the highway the dynamic calibration will start and if the camera isnt sitting perfecrly on its bracket then nothing will work.

You can disable lane assist by coding but that doesnt mean the camera stops looking for lanes, it will show an error tho, a databus missing message probably.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey!

Also it was myself that first mentioned the Aliexpress harness and it not having the ACC canbus lines. I purchased a pair of twisted canbus cables separate and will tape them into the harness when I run it.

It will be interesting to see if you have the cables for ACC into the footwell then. I've just been looking back through this thread and found this post from gc9n :

I had a look an I checked the brown plug (I guess the one in the top right, it's not quite brown, but its the closest out of all the coloured connectors!)

Pin 11 and 9 have nothing for me on either side and thats when I checked my radar and can only see 4 cables. I'm wondering if it's because my golf is a 2013 model, it is one of the early ones.

With yours being a 2019, you might have better luck.

From what I remember (but I might be wrong) the 3Q0 camera required the ACC connection, but the 5Q0 it wasn't essential. If that is true, I'd be interested to know if it has any affect on the lane assist.

Tbh, I'm tempted to cable everything else asap anyway and start test mounting the camera. Even just traffic sign and high beam assist would be nice until I get on with the other stuff.

It seems like I do not have anything on 9 and 11 on either side. But you guys can verify it for me

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
It seems like I do not have anything on 9 and 11 on either side. But you guys can verify it for me

stupid question Did you check pins 9 and 11 on the female side of the connector? There should be no wires on the male side as it comes from the camera and it isnt installed.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
I think this is 9 and 11:

I don't have those cables in mine (I didn't take a photo of mine :( )

EDIT:

Also, from what I've just been reading online, there seems to be rumors that ACC was different in the UK and doesn't use the front camera like it does in other regions... People seem to be suggesting that ACC in other countries requires the camera too and that it was only the UK where we have ACC with just the radar... I don't believe it though really. I'm pretty sure there are thousands of MK7s with ACC that only use the radar...
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=260248.690 - reply no. 698
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8615 - from post no. 11

Last edited:

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
stupid question Did you check pins 9 and 11 on the female side of the connector? There should be no wires on the male side as it comes from the camera and it isnt installed.

I took a photo of behind the connector. See below. So left side of the below photo is actually right side of the connector from front. I do not see any cables going out from these female side. But if you are referring another connector, I didnt check it.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
I think this is 9 and 11:

I don't have those cables in mine (I didn't take a photo of mine :( )

EDIT:

Also, from what I've just been reading online, there seems to be rumors that ACC was different in the UK and doesn't use the front camera like it does in other regions... People seem to be suggesting that ACC in other countries requires the camera too and that it was only the UK where we have ACC with just the radar... I don't believe it though really. I'm pretty sure there are thousands of MK7s with ACC that only use the radar...
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=260248.690 - reply no. 698
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8615 - from post no. 11

Actually left side only has 7 pins (I counted the number of pins also it says 7 on the square on top, very faded but 7, not 8) so it is from 1 to 7. Right side is from 8 to 14 and middle is from 15 to 17. In this case i am missing 9 and 11. Bummer for me as well.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Anyways, all the TIUL connections do is just a connection between two wires, you can Connect the wires through the TIUL or just run two long wires from the radar.

It will work the exact same way.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Actually left side only has 7 pins (I counted the number of pins also it says 7 on the square on top, very faded but 7, not 8) so it is from 1 to 7. Right side is from 8 to 14 and middle is from 15 to 17. In this case i am missing 9 and 11. Bummer for me as well.

Ahh, ok, that makes sense :) I was going from memory as I couldn't read the numbers properly either. So yes, you are right, they are missing for you too then. You have a few more cables in the connector than I do but they must be for other things. That's annoying, looks like we are both in the same situation then :(
It's a mystery that we don't have them when we both have factory ACC...

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyways, all the TIUL connections do is just a connection between two wires, you can Connect the wires through the TIUL or just run two long wires from the radar.

It will work the exact same way.

Did you retrofit ACC too?
Do you know if the connector on the radar has the same style little connectors that are crimped on the other canbus wires?