GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
hey everybody, quite some time has passed and I had to put this project aside.

I had to replace the windshield last week because a rock hit it on the highway, so I took the chance and had installed the camera windshield, and heated too :)

the camera is now installed and coded, and I am left with only one error that says something like "VIN mismatch - no basic settings".

calibration is scheduled for next week, I hope it will clear out. I will let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
hey everybody, quite some time has passed and I had to put this project aside.

I had to replace the windshield last week because a rock hit it on the highway, so I took the chance and had installed the camera windshield, and heated too :)

the camera is now installed and coded, and I am left with only one error that says something like "VIN mismatch - no basic settings".

calibration is scheduled for next week, I hope it will clear out. I will let you know.

Hmm, the only error you should have is no basic setting.

I have no idea what that error means but i guess ODIS should be able to solve it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Update, been driving for a while with lane assist and everything is still great but there is one problem.

The bracket material should be changed to something else, when i installed everything it was winter in my country, but now in the summer the bracket warped from the heat.

Do you guys have another material i can 3D print with that will withstand the heat?

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
final update. camera has been calibrated and that allowed me to clear all errors.

I have been driving some highway for the last two days and it's working perfectly.

tonight I also tested the high beam assist, this also works perfectly.

I have decided not to enable VZE (Traffic Sign Recog) because I have no navigation so I would not be able to clear the "missing navigation" error.

retrofit complete ;)

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
final update. camera has been calibrated and that allowed me to clear all errors.

I have been driving some highway for the last two days and it's working perfectly.

tonight I also tested the high beam assist, this also works perfectly.

I have decided not to enable VZE (Traffic Sign Recog) because I have no navigation so I would not be able to clear the "missing navigation" error.

retrofit complete ;)

I Dont have NAV Either and dont have that error.

Sign Assist works perfectly.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
the error I was talking about is something like "dynamic road sign recognition currently restricted", and comes up once per ignition cycle on the cluster.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys,

I just recently got an e-Golf SE (US model) with driver assist package (it is ACC only) and I saw your retrofit work. It is very impressive. I am also on board with retrofitting lane assist camera without replacing the windshield. I will definitely appreciate all the help while doing this.

Here is what I have. I have ACC, blind spots and rain sensor. The windshield I have has electric wiring sandwiched between glasses. So this is a good thing for the camera I guess, but I hate the distortions for the view. I have the manual dimming mirror which I would like to upgrade also. I was thinking of getting the one with homelink buttons but price is little higher and I do not need homelink at the moment. Any link to a good deal is appreciated. Probably, I will get a regular auto-dimming without homelink buttons.

Below is the link to a mirror which also comes with lane assist camera cover. This way I can hide the brains of the camera inside the cover.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...6.0&pvid=782fb6d8-1006-4998-884c-cb6012f64b7c

I purchased a 3q0 camera already.

Reaper, I would like to do your way of installing the camera behind the mirror. I am thinking of doing the bracket out of metal plates rather than 3D plastic prints. This way I hopefully won't have any concerns about hot weather melting/warping the plastic. I will probably share what I have when it is working condition.

gc9n,
I see that I need to physically connect 3q0 camera with ACC based on your experience. Can you share the steps and schematics of these connections. What harness do you recommend? I see you guys have already mentioned that I need to get a pair of can bus cables for physical connection since any harness they sell does not come with these cables.

Also,
Pio's DIY links (the polish website) is not accessible and I cannot see his DIY. I would appreciate if you guys can share a link to what he had done. Also additional info is appreciated.

I am very excited to do this since I was in between getting SE and SEL model (SEL model comes with lane assist camera and other features that I do not have any interest, but costs $6K extra) and lane assist was the only feature that I wanted on my car that is missing and couldn't see a reason to pay additional $6K just for that feature.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hi guys,

I just recently got an e-Golf SE (US model) with driver assist package (it is ACC only) and I saw your retrofit work. It is very impressive. I am also on board with retrofitting lane assist camera without replacing the windshield. I will definitely appreciate all the help while doing this.

Here is what I have. I have ACC, blind spots and rain sensor. The windshield I have has electric wiring sandwiched between glasses. So this is a good thing for the camera I guess, but I hate the distortions for the view. I have the manual dimming mirror which I would like to upgrade also. I was thinking of getting the one with homelink buttons but price is little higher and I do not need homelink at the moment. Any link to a good deal is appreciated. Probably, I will get a regular auto-dimming without homelink buttons.

Below is the link to a mirror which also comes with lane assist camera cover. This way I can hide the brains of the camera inside the cover.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...6.0&pvid=782fb6d8-1006-4998-884c-cb6012f64b7c

I purchased a 3q0 camera already.

Reaper, I would like to do your way of installing the camera behind the mirror. I am thinking of doing the bracket out of metal plates rather than 3D plastic prints. This way I hopefully won't have any concerns about hot weather melting/warping the plastic. I will probably share what I have when it is working condition.

gc9n,
I see that I need to physically connect 3q0 camera with ACC based on your experience. Can you share the steps and schematics of these connections. What harness do you recommend? I see you guys have already mentioned that I need to get a pair of can bus cables for physical connection since any harness they sell does not come with these cables.

Also,
Pio's DIY links (the polish website) is not accessible and I cannot see his DIY. I would appreciate if you guys can share a link to what he had done. Also additional info is appreciated.

I am very excited to do this since I was in between getting SE and SEL model (SEL model comes with lane assist camera and other features that I do not have any interest, but costs $6K extra) and lane assist was the only feature that I wanted on my car that is missing and couldn't see a reason to pay additional $6K just for that feature.

Hey, your method is what i want to do to my next car with the 3Q0 Camera this time, but you will need the bracket too so it can support the cover and hold the "Brains" of the camera while you mount the camera itself in the same place i did and just drill a hole in the mirror cover for it. (will look factory)

you can 3D Print it but with ABS which can withstand 100C, will be way easier for you.

For your second question just buy the regular lane assist harness and add two additional gateway wires that will go all the way down to the footwell area.

Pio's website is down for some reason but you have all the info you need here, and if you need some additional info just ask :)

Last edited:

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey, your method is what i want to do to my next car with the 3Q0 Camera this time, but you will need the bracket too so it can support the cover and hold the "Brains" of the camera while you mount the camera itself in the same place i did and just drill a hole in the mirror cover for it. (will look factory)

you can 3D Print it but with ABS which can withstand 100C, will be way easier for you.

For your second question just buy the regular lane assist harness and add two additional gateway wires that will go all the way down to the footwell area.

Pio's website is down for some reason but you have all the info you need here, and if you need some additional info just ask :)

Yes, exactly. I will drill a hole for the camera, so it will look factory.

How did you hide the "brains" of the camera in your current set up? Does it above lighting on the roof?

I was skipping of getting a bracket since they ask at least $100 for the plastic bracket. What I was thinking initially was to attach the brains to OEM cover since the cover is secured by the mirror and roof. But now i am thinking i can purchase u-shaped clamps and 3M-tape them to windshield and the camera brain can be attached this way. (See the link for the part i am thinking)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LCN4Q4J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6MetDbH7WSMP4

Since OEM lane assist camera cover is large I need to get black film. Did you guys use regular window tint film, or anyone used a black sticky black film? I feel like I want to use sticky black film since I can easily apply. The other one will need soapy water, etc.

Thanks for being open to help. I hope to figure out things quickly.

Do you guys have the file for the calibration screen (black ad white dots patterned screen)?

Reading all of these entries, I realized having ODIS will be sufficient for everything I need about coding, am I right?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, exactly. I will drill a hole for the camera, so it will look factory.

How did you hide the "brains" of the camera in your current set up? Does it above lighting on the roof?

I was skipping of getting a bracket since they ask at least $100 for the plastic bracket. What I was thinking initially was to attach the brains to OEM cover since the cover is secured by the mirror and roof. But now i am thinking i can purchase u-shaped clamps and 3M-tape them to windshield and the camera brain can be attached this way. (See the link for the part i am thinking)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LCN4Q4J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6MetDbH7WSMP4

Since OEM lane assist camera cover is large I need to get black film. Did you guys use regular window tint film, or anyone used a black sticky black film? I feel like I want to use sticky black film since I can easily apply. The other one will need soapy water, etc.

Thanks for being open to help. I hope to figure out things quickly.

Do you guys have the file for the calibration screen (black ad white dots patterned screen)?

Reading all of these entries, I realized having ODIS will be sufficient for everything I need about coding, am I right?

Mine is the 5Q0 which can have quite a long Cable from the brains to the camera, but the 3Q0 can only have 20cm cable. so it has to be close to the camera itself.

Your idea can work, i will just make it a bit easier as i already have the bracket.

as for the tint, you can use 100% black tint just like gc9n.

here you go ( https://mega.nz/#!cRQxkYqD!YP_Ye0Hz33vV4C37T02noUhiHofk706StYdMplva3uA )

Buy ODIS, its a must for calibration and it can code just like VCDS.( and you have the guided functions as a bonus, it can help you fix all kinds of faults in your car)

Last edited:

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine is the 5Q0 which can have quite a long Cable from the brains to the camera, but the 3Q0 can only have 20cm cable. so it has to be close to the camera itself.

Your idea can work, i will just make it a bit easier as i already have the bracket.

here you go ( https://mega.nz/#!cRQxkYqD!YP_Ye0Hz33vV4C37T02noUhiHofk706StYdMplva3uA )

Buy ODIS, its a must for calibration and it can code just like VCDS.( and you have the guided functions as a bonus, it can help you fix all kinds of faults in your car)

Thank you, I will buy ODIS.

Aliexpress triggered some verification check, waiting for them to verify my account. Once that goes thru, I will order my ODIS and other stuff.

I realized that my surface laptop cannot run windows 7, and I heard virtually running windows 7 for ODIS is not recommended, so I purchased a used laptop really cheap. I hope ODIS runs on AMD since this one comes with AMD chip.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Thank you, I will buy ODIS.

Aliexpress triggered some verification check, waiting for them to verify my account. Once that goes thru, I will order my ODIS and other stuff.

I realized that my surface laptop cannot run windows 7, and I heard virtually running windows 7 for ODIS is not recommended, so I purchased a used laptop really cheap. I hope ODIS runs on AMD since this one comes with AMD chip.

Hmm, sorry to say that but buying the laptop wasnt necessary, you can run ODIS on a win 7 virtual machine, thats what ive been doing.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmm, sorry to say that but buying the laptop wasnt necessary, you can run ODIS on a win 7 virtual machine, thats what ive been doing.

It is good to know for other people to know. Luckily I got this one really cheap. I will use it for ODIS and coding projects only.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed

as for the tint, you can use 100% black tint just like gc9n.

Reaper,

I was just checking the calibration_board file but it seems to be a shortcut file rather than the actual file. Can you send a link to the actual file if you don't mind. Appreciated.