GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

piotrekp

Will take a lot of pics describing how it works.

http://mqb.pl/en/tutorial-retrofiting-lane-assist-sign-assist-light-assist-5q0980653/

this is basically the way im going to do it but much cleaner

I'm the author of this solution. To bo honest it was just proof of concept, right now I've done it in OEM-like style, without changing windscreen. I'll write it down and publish on my blog during the weekend.

Feel free to ask any questions if needed. I've completed 5Q0 camera retrofit (total cost around 60$). Right now I'm working on 3Q0 camera retrofit (from MK7.5).

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I'm the author of this solution. To bo honest it was just proof of concept, right now I've done it in OEM-like style, without changing windscreen. I'll write it down and publish on my blog during the weekend.

Feel free to ask any questions if needed. I've completed 5Q0 camera retrofit (total cost around 60$). Right now I'm working on 3Q0 camera retrofit (from MK7.5).
Wow, Ive been trying to find a way of contacting you.

I do have a few questions.
Does the camera have to be in the exact place as factory to work? Or can it be placed somewhere else on the windshield(still near the rain sensor) and calibrated to this position.

And Where did you get the extension cable for the camera? i want to use this method

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed

Wow... I have always wanted to retrofit the camera, but having to change the windscreen put me off. I can't tell you how much I would appreciate some more info and photos on your retrofit. I am prepared to do this myself, as long as I can find a way to make the camera look fairly neat from both inside and outside the car. :)

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Wow... I have always wanted to retrofit the camera, but having to change the windscreen put me off. I can't tell you how much I would appreciate some more info and photos on your retrofit. I am prepared to do this myself, as long as I can find a way to make the camera look fairly neat from both inside and outside the car. :)
Thats exactly what im doing. Should come out pretty nice.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Thats exactly what im doing. Should come out pretty nice.

Awosome, let me know how it goes :) The more photos the better ;)

I notice you are using the 3Q0 camera - what year golf are you fitting it to?

I need to check as I have the panoramic sunroof and I'm not sure how much that may effect my chances of a neat retrofit.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Awosome, let me know how it goes :) The more photos the better ;)

I notice you are using the 3Q0 camera - what year golf are you fitting it to?

I need to check as I have the panoramic sunroof and I'm not sure how much that may effect my chances of a neat retrofit.

I will, currently i just installed all the wiring so not a lot to take pics of but the I Will get a lot of the actual camera installation.

Mine is a 2014, you shouldnt have any issues. both cameras can work with the mk7 but the 3q0 is way smaller than the other one so its easier to install in this tight space.

piotrekp

My solution looks like this. Camera is separated from the control module, which is hidden above the ceiling. I've used case from Light Assist mirror to keep the OEM look. Everything works as from the factory. I'll post complete retrofit guide this week.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
That looks interesting. Do you ever have any issues with condensation etc on the windscreen (as you don't have the heater connected) or anything blocking the view of the camera?

I really like that you have fitted it without having to fix anything to the actual windscreen - just wondering if it's as reliable?

Looking forward to your guide :)

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
That looks interesting. Do you ever have any issues with condensation etc on the windscreen (as you don't have the heater connected) or anything blocking the view of the camera?

I really like that you have fitted it without having to fix anything to the actual windscreen - just wondering if it's as reliable?

Looking forward to your guide :)
Yea And what about Heavy rain?

Now that I Have a way of contacting you i think my method is wayy too complicated and yours can totaly be great for someone with not a lot of skill when it comes to this kind of retrofits.

P.S
Do you have the part number for the cover of the mirror by a chance?

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
http://mqb.pl/en/tutorial-retrofiting-lane-assist-sign-assist-light-assist-5q0980653/

I've updated my guide with my current solution. Feel free to comment I'll add any needed details.

Just Read it, Great job on that, Looks Amazing and I Will definitely be trying your method.

But Is there a problem with using this Ribbon cable and adapter? It says FFC and not FPC (i have no clue what that means xD)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/24P...791.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3eeb4c4dds4gnb

gc9n

Ready to race!
Just Read it, Great job on that, Looks Amazing and I Will definitely be trying your method.

But Is there a problem with using this Ribbon cable and adapter? It says FFC and not FPC (i have no clue what that means xD)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/24P...791.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3eeb4c4dds4gnb

Hi
I am also currently trying to retrofit a Lane assist Camera from kufatek , with all the cable Harness and all ,
When i saw piotrekp method , WOW amazing .

Just for the referense FPC cable is the really flexi cable with orange color , i think in his blog made a mistake the cable that he uses is FFC .

I ll try to make a 3D printed case only for the camera , as clear as possible exactly like dashcams.
So piotrekp idea will be one step further because we will not have to change anything or drill

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hi
I am also currently trying to retrofit a Lane assist Camera from kufatek , with all the cable Harness and all ,

Just for the referense FPC cable is the really flexi cable with orange color , i think in his blog made a mistake the cable that he uses is FFC .

I ll try to make a 3D printed case only for the camera , as clear as possible exactly like dashcams.
So piotrekp idea will be one step further because we will not have to change anything or drill
Hi, Another one on the team xD

Yea i Noticed that, It lookes exactly like what i ordered.

Currently ive made the template for the plate that will hold the camera on the back of the mirror, If you guys want i can share it here.

piotrekp

Should be fine, looks like mine :)

Hi

Make sure to print it with ABS or PETG, as PLA is not that heat resistant. Under the windsheild it may get reeeeaaaaly hot during the summer.

BTW. It's not that simple with 3Q0 camera, as the maximum length of an extension cable that is possible to use is around 20cm. Also the extension cable has to be 30 pin. The only way to do it right is to mount the control module to the windscreen and hide it under oem plastic cover.