GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Heated Steering Wheel

DangerDane2008

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GSW TDI DSG
The webasto is life changing. It be too late now to start and enjoy it this year. Put it at the top of your list. If I could only have one mod it would be the webasto. I have a parts list somewhere. I’ll try and post it.

I wish the retrofits were easy. I’ve never had one go according to plan, or work the first attempt.
A webasto-what?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
A webasto-what?
Its a gas powered auxiliary heater. You set a time you want to depart in the infotainment. 30 minutes before that the heater kicks in, turns on your blower motor, heats and circulates coolant.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Its a gas powered auxiliary heater. You set a time you want to depart in the infotainment. 30 minutes before that the heater kicks in, turns on your blower motor, heats and circulates coolant.
I knew this already, but definitely no Webasto for me. Lithium battery, can't have nothing sucking up my precious amp hours 😁. That being said, I haven't changed anything about how I treat the car since switching to that battery. I did have a kinda weak start after letting the car sit for 3 weeks. But could have very well happened even with the original battery.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I knew this already, but definitely no Webasto for me. Lithium battery, can't have nothing sucking up my precious amp hours 😁. That being said, I haven't changed anything about how I treat the car since switching to that battery. I did have a kinda weak start after letting the car sit for 3 weeks. But could have very well happened even with the original battery.
I know you know what a webasto is. Dangerdan asked.

Ya any car that sits for 3 weeks is gonna be a little low on charge. You lucky though with that nice climate over yonder. We gotta rough it out here in the frigid north. Not sure my car would last more than a couple of days without being started.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@xabhax Yea I know... I was really just saying that even "knowing" that I hadn't thought about it until you explained it to Dangerdan... and I'm constantly looking for reasons not to do it!

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
@xabhax The heated windshield would be nice but you know what I really have my eye on.. the Mk8 steering wheel. I can’t remember if there’s a thread on that or not but that’s in my list 👌

And I’m also available if anyone needs advice or help with the Webasto. I put a list of parts I used at the end of xabhax’s thread on it. “Retrofit Mk7 Webasto parking heater” or something like that.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I suppose someone should do a thread on it, but it's pretty simple... everything just plugs in. You will need a 3Q0 gateway but a 7.5 should have that. And if you're doing the Mk8 wheel (and want the heat to work) then follow this thread. They are technically separate retrofits but may as well do them together.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
@xabhax The heated windshield would be nice but you know what I really have my eye on.. the Mk8 steering wheel. I can’t remember if there’s a thread on that or not but that’s in my list 👌

And I’m also available if anyone needs advice or help with the Webasto. I put a list of parts I used at the end of xabhax’s thread on it. “Retrofit Mk7 Webasto parking heater” or something like that.
The thread that you and @xabhax had on that is what I've read through a couple of times. Definitely doing it on the GSW, would like to figure out if there is an option for the R. The heated steering wheel does sound nice too.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
The thread that you and @xabhax had on that is what I've read through a couple of times. Definitely doing it on the GSW, would like to figure out if there is an option for the R. The heated steering wheel does sound nice too.
As the car sits it wouldnt work. Youd have to find a way to either move or remove the radiator on the passenger side. Maybe get a universal fit cooler and mount it behind the front grill. Or get one of those triple core CSF radiators and get rid of the side radiators all together.

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
I think that if Skoda Octavia 3 (A7) can be retrofitted with the steering wheel from Octavia 4 (A8), it should be no problem in a Golf. Just the additional module and maybe a little knowledge of the programming would be needed to get all the MFSW buttons working. My friend did this retrofit in his Octavia and is happily using it for almost a year.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I think that if Skoda Octavia 3 (A7) can be retrofitted with the steering wheel from Octavia 4 (A8), it should be no problem in a Golf. Just the additional module and maybe a little knowledge of the programming would be needed to get all the MFSW buttons working. My friend did this retrofit in his Octavia and is happily using it for almost a year.
Yes - a number of people here have swapped Mk8 steering wheels into our Mk7 cars; really, no issue. I started this thread when I put a Mk7 heated SW on the car, but then last summer got the impetus (thanks @Cuzoe 🤨) to go with the Mk8 wheel. From what I recall (after replacing the gateway and getting that properly set up), it was literally "remove airbag, unplug / remove steering wheel, install Mk8 wheel....done".

rex26

Car(s)
Golf 7
Hello, im really thanfull for this retrofit guide that helped me a lot thru the process, but im curious about two things, one is that where can i find the thing where i can connect one wire from wheel and connect the fuse to it easily so i dont need to dismount it all or where can i order it? Second thing is that i was not doing only retrofit for heated steering wheel, but for MSFW wheel too and im not definitelly sure what harness to use, i have seen that there are multiple version (like 5G0971584F, 5G0971584G and etc...). I have these parts and i would be glad if anyone can tell me which harness to use: Clock spring (5Q0953549B), heated steering wheel (5G0419091FE E74), airbag (5G0880201). Thank you for any help :)

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
Just search for a "Fuse Tapp" and you should have many options at your disposal. As for the harness, I am not sure what your existing wiring loom accommodates. My guess would be the Nuje adaptor for 5Q0-5Q0 would do the trick.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Hello, im really thanfull for this retrofit guide that helped me a lot thru the process, but im curious about two things, one is that where can i find the thing where i can connect one wire from wheel and connect the fuse to it easily so i dont need to dismount it all or where can i order it? Second thing is that i was not doing only retrofit for heated steering wheel, but for MSFW wheel too and im not definitelly sure what harness to use, i have seen that there are multiple version (like 5G0971584F, 5G0971584G and etc...). I have these parts and i would be glad if anyone can tell me which harness to use: Clock spring (5Q0953549B), heated steering wheel (5G0419091FE E74), airbag (5G0880201). Thank you for any help :)
I'm in Canada, but this is what a fuse tap is (maybe there's a "Czech Tire" where you can buy automotive small parts like that). ;)

Harness just needs to fit what's existing there; should be the same as the one(s) I linked to earlier - either Kufatec (maybe shipping in EU makes it reasonably priced for you), or the one from Aliexpress.

rex26

Car(s)
Golf 7
Thank you really much, guys. I have found it in Czech Republic for like 3 USD so hopefully i will finish the retrofit soon :) And about that harness, i have it already all connected, probably not coded correctly, but i will finish that when i will have everything with me, since i dont have vcds and all the coding is done via ELM327 with Car Scanner app it will be little tricky, but i hope i will handle that. But since im doing full retrofit of the MSFW wheel with heated one then i need to change cables for the airbag too, that was my second guestion about which harness to use, but it looks like that lot of them are the same, they was just superseaded with each other, so i have already ordered OEM one (5G0971584C), but does anybody know why there are 2 brown wires? The original one had only one.
1681140185893.png