GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Heated Steering Wheel

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
I simultaneous love and hate both you @xabhax and @Cuzoe. You seems to find retrofits way to easily and make them semi accessible. The webasto is definitely on my short list for the GSW, but unfortunately not for the R. Now this! Stop finding fun and interesting things to do to these cars! /s

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Same, I love following these threads for the ideas and inspiration. I’d have never retrofitted the AID, ACC, or Nav without them. Would I even use Lane Assist? Probably not. Have I put it on my mod list? You bet your ass :ROFLMAO:

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I simultaneous love and hate both you @xabhax and @Cuzoe. You seems to find retrofits way to easily and make them semi accessible. The webasto is definitely on my short list for the GSW, but unfortunately not for the R. Now this! Stop finding fun and interesting things to do to these cars! /s
The webasto is life changing. It be too late now to start and enjoy it this year. Put it at the top of your list. If I could only have one mod it would be the webasto. I have a parts list somewhere. I’ll try and post it.

I wish the retrofits were easy. I’ve never had one go according to plan, or work the first attempt.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Point of order... we find ones we want to do very easily... we don't find doing them very easy 😁. We're just too stubborn to let it go.

DCC is at the top of my list (despite the butt-pain that was swapping lower rear strut bushings because the torsion beam opening is too narrow). I want a soft ride 99% of the time. But running with GTI/Rs in the canyons with a Golf TDI the only place I can "keep up" is in the twisty stuff, and my soft factory suspension was a real problem out there, as expected.

I would argue that EPB is my biggest "mistake" thus far! Not because I don't love it, but because I'm still ordering parts to make it truly complete. The entire center console is different 🤦‍♂️. That whole mess started with my parents giving me $200 for my birthday, and a stupid Golf R center console (partial, I now know) being listed on eBay for $179 with free shipping 😶.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Same, I love following these threads for the ideas and inspiration. I’d have never retrofitted the AID, ACC, or Nav without them. Would I even use Lane Assist? Probably not. Have I put it on my mod list? You bet your ass :ROFLMAO:
The pickings are slim now. There isn’t many more things to retrofit. I will had I’ve never had a retrofit go to plan. Always a wrong control module or didn’t order enough or the right parts. I have a box full of modules, and another box full of torn apart harness and connectors and pins.

Point of order... we find ones we want to do very easily... we don't find doing them very easy 😁. We're just too stubborn to let it go.

DCC is at the top of my list (despite the butt-pain that was swapping lower rear strut bushings because the torsion beam opening is too narrow). I want a soft ride 99% of the time. But running with GTI/Rs in the canyons with a Golf TDI the only place I can "keep up" is in the twisty stuff, and my soft factory suspension was a real problem out there, as expected.

I would argue that EPB is my biggest "mistake" thus far! Not because I don't love it, but because I'm still ordering parts to make it truly complete. The entire center console is different 🤦‍♂️. That whole mess started with my parents giving me $200 for my birthday, and a stupid Golf R center console (partial, I now know) being listed on eBay for $179 with free shipping 😶.
But with that center console you can get lighted cupholders. Thats the only reason I’ve even considered doing the epb. Repinning the vsa module connector would not be fun at all

Last edited:

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
The pickings are slim now. There isn’t many more things to retrofit. I will had I’ve never had a retrofit go to plan. Always a wrong control module or didn’t order enough or the right parts. I have a box full of modules, and another box full of torn apart harness and connectors and pins.
Honestly I'm glad to know it's not just me! I just discovered that my retrofit MIB has the wrong dataset loaded into it... 4 months after "finishing" it 🤦‍♂️

Seriously though, you and @Cuzoe and @Nuje and really everyone on here are so helpful and generous with your time and knowledge. Very grateful, definitely wouldn't be nearly as successful with what I've tried if not for that (even though it pales in comparison to what y'all are doing!) Many continued thanks.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
he webasto is life changing. It be too late now to start and enjoy it this year. Put it at the top of your list. If I could only have one mod it would be the webasto. I have a parts list somewhere. I’ll try and post it.

I wish the retrofits were easy. I’ve never had one go according to plan, or work the first attempt
Definitely on my to do list. Obviously, I'm a little north of you and would prefer to go out to a warm and defrosted car. It seems like it's within my skill set although the fuel system stuff would be new for me. I have perused your effort on that before and have previously bookmarked it. Maybe I can drive down to Jersey for some assistance, lol.

@Cuzoe I suppose I meant to say that watching what you guys do, makes it easier for the rest of us and allows us to implement these mods as well. So, thank you! The EPB on the GSW is also a real want for me. I love it on the R, but get a little put off by that project given the stark difference I've noticed between them and what you've already pointed out.

As @bobloblawGTI said, I am definitely grateful for all the work and effort your guys put it to make it easier for the rest of us.

The next mods on the list are memory seats for the R and GSW and maybe highline RVCs. . .

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Definitely on my to do list. Obviously, I'm a little north of you and would prefer to go out to a warm and defrosted car. It seems like it's within my skill set although the fuel system stuff would be new for me. I have perused your effort on that before and have previously bookmarked it. Maybe I can drive down to Jersey for some assistance, lol.

@Cuzoe I suppose I meant to say that watching what you guys do, makes it easier for the rest of us and allows us to implement these mods as well. So, thank you! The EPB on the GSW is also a real want for me. I love it on the R, but get a little put off by that project given the stark difference I've noticed between them and what you've already pointed out.

As @bobloblawGTI said, I am definitely grateful for all the work and effort your guys put it to make it easier for the rest of us.

The next mods on the list are memory seats for the R and GSW and maybe highline RVCs. . .
It’s more tedious than hard. I suppose the worst part was running the fuel line to that back. But other than that everything is pretty much out in the open, and if you have all the correct coolant hoses it’s just plug and play. I got lucky when I got my burner, it had like 75 percent of the hoses.

Hey, if you wanna drive all the way to Jersey. I got access to a lift. I’ll help ya

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
It’s more tedious than hard. I suppose the worst part was running the fuel line to that back. But other than that everything is pretty much out in the open, and if you have all the correct coolant hoses it’s just plug and play. I got lucky when I got my burner, it had like 75 percent of the hoses.

Hey, if you wanna drive all the way to Jersey. I got access to a lift. I’ll help ya
I might take you up on that. Might be awhile before I get to that point though.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Writes in journal: I ✏️ don’t ✏️ need ✏️ a ✏️ heated ✏️ windshield

Is there really a point to any of the these mods?
Yup for me it’s more of an addiction or challenge than anything 😂

I have to say the Webasto heater is legitimately useful though, I don’t feel guilty about that one at all.

One of my headlights is full of water droplets and condensation right now and I’m 🤞assuming🤞 VW is gonna replace it under warranty… It hasn’t broken yet though..

But it’s got me thinking about those DLA lights 😬 💰

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Writes in journal: I ✏️ don’t ✏️ need ✏️ a ✏️ heated ✏️ windshield

Yup for me it’s more of an addiction or challenge than anything 😂

I have to say the Webasto heater is legitimately useful though, I don’t feel guilty about that one at all.

One of my headlights is full of water droplets and condensation right now and I’m 🤞assuming🤞 VW is gonna replace it under warranty… It hasn’t broken yet though..

But it’s got me thinking about those DLA lights 😬 💰
Didnt even think about it like that.

Oh you need a heated windshield. I have you to thank for webasto. Its only fair if i goad you into the windshield.

Ive been drooling over the european dynamic lights. after seeing those i kinda regret getting the usa ones. wish i had known about the euro ones when i did mine.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
DLA ship has sailed for me unless my Osrams die. That's not to say I didn't get it full part list together one time and even have most of it in various carts.

But that's the retrofit that I always reallocate the cost to other retrofits. I just tell myself that if I'm going to spend that type of money on headlights, again, I should get some 7.5 ones with legitimate matrix beam, along with replacing front fenders and whatever else is needed for the different light shape.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
DLA ship has sailed for me unless my Osrams die. That's not to say I didn't get it full part list together one time and even have most of it in various carts.

But that's the retrofit that I always reallocate the cost to other retrofits. I just tell myself that if I'm going to spend that type of money on headlights, again, I should get some 7.5 ones with legitimate matrix beam, along with replacing front fenders and whatever else is needed for the different light it’s the
Must not search eBay, must not search eBay, must not search eBay

…. For science what would I be searching for

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Must not search eBay, must not search eBay, must not search eBay

…. For science what would I be searching for
@Kushdaiin is probably the authority on this one... https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...ain-beam-xenon-headlights.377703/post-7864330

I'll have to find my list of the LED modules and such that are needed if you don't get headlights that include everything. When I was looking on eBay sometimes the pictures would have all the modules (that attach to the bottom), others wouldn't.