GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofit SatNav Antenna (& SD card query) Recommendations

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
The nav card was working until I did the map update and now the unit doesn't recognise it.

Before:

View attachment 215979

After:

View attachment 215983

I took a back-up of the existing database on it before applying the update - I'm in the process of restoring that to it to see if I can get it working again. If I can, I'm guessing I probably picked the wrong option when I downloaded the data for it and need to do that bit again. If not, is the card wrecked or can this be repaired?
Hmmm... not sure whether this is because of CP.. I have a suspicion it is, but not sure.

The first start up allows you to test everything works, but each subsequent start up has limitations. Not sure if Nav is one of those limitations...

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Hmmm... not sure whether this is because of CP.. I have a suspicion it is, but not sure.

The first start up allows you to test everything works, but each subsequent start up has limitations. Not sure if Nav is one of those limitations...
I don't think it's CP that's the issue, prior to updating the card both CarPlay and Nav were both working. CarPlay is still working and the Nav is asking for the database - it’s not telling me I need to have it activated at the dealer/it’s not available.

All that's changed is I've updated the card and since re-installed the unit tonight (I'm testing an intermittent fault code with the fibre-optic amp cable at the moment) and now, it's not working.

I'm restoring the back-up to the card at the moment so we'll see what it does when that's finished. It's nearly there now.

Last edited:

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Yes. It appears to be the wrong nav data:

AC3869C8-5DF1-4D81-9C14-262C26F41E15.jpeg

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Thanks for your current location. A crack team of VAG inquisitionists have been dispatched to your location in order to ascertain to what extent you have defiled your vehicle. Please prepare for any family members to be tortured.
You can send them there if you like. The far believes it’s in Leeds ATM because there is no accompanying navigation antenna - do you think I’d have posted it if it were really showing where I was?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
You can send them there if you like. The far believes it’s in Leeds ATM because there is no accompanying navigation antenna - do you think I’d have posted it if it were really showing where I was?
Good point. You don't want the trolley jack manufacturers knocking at your door 😝

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Does that also mean no traffic data on nav either or does that use something else?
You'll still be able to get traffic data over FM, but it's not great. Frankly, the OEM Nav isn't great. Would recommend just using Waze over AppConnect.

I only have the OEM Nav for the Active Info Display. Handy to see in advance how unknown roads will curve, and straight stretches for overtaking.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
You'll still be able to get traffic data over FM, but it's not great. Frankly, the OEM Nav isn't great. Would recommend just using Waze over AppConnect.

I only have the OEM Nav for the Active Info Display. Handy to see in advance how unknown roads will curve, and straight stretches for overtaking.
I haven't heard great things about it, I'll be honest - it's more about having it tbh, CarPlay will be the go-to for most/all things, particularly given there's no shortcut to it without the 2.5 display and App button...

I'm back home again and trying the update for a second time. The s/w is automatically selecting this update for the SD card when I insert it:

1623015998441.jpeg

That's the same one it downloaded the last time I tried it, when it went tits-up. Looking at the number on the card, it's the same (5NA 919 B66 S) with only the last bit (AH) being different. But presume that's referring to the version of map database more than anything else.

Is it possible it just f*cked up the update and that's why it didn't work or do I have another VW anti-competitive, anti-trust, anti-DIY issue brewing?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I haven't heard great things about it, I'll be honest - it's more about having it tbh, CarPlay will be the go-to for most/all things, particularly given there's no shortcut to it without the 2.5 display and App button...

I'm back home again and trying the update for a second time. The s/w is automatically selecting this update for the SD card when I insert it:

View attachment 215986

That's the same one it downloaded the last time I tried it, when it went tits-up. Looking at the number on the card, it's the same (5NA 919 B66 S) with only the last bit (AH) being different. But presume that's referring to the version of map database more than anything else.

Is it possible it just f*cked up the update and that's why it didn't work or do I have another VW anti-competitive, anti-trust, anti-DIY issue brewing?
I know that there's something retrofitters do to enable map updates to 2099, but I'm not sure what the specifics are.

Perhaps the system isn't able to use updated map data while CP is active? Best to just wait until it's fully coded and then try the update again IMO.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
I know that there's something retrofitters do to enable map updates to 2099, but I'm not sure what the specifics are.

Perhaps the system isn't able to use updated map data while CP is active? Best to just wait until it's fully coded and then try the update again IMO.
I'm not sure. I see where you're coming from but I'd expect it to work regardless. I thought VW gave their units lifetime updates for the map data? I seem to recall seeing that on their website the other day, unless that's for newer cars than the Mark 7's...

I'd have expected, like you, for it to not have worked at all until the CP was removed - makes the most sense really, but it was "tracking" me (albeit out by 360 miles) fine when I nipped out earlier to try it, so I've got no idea at this stage..

Just more VW fuckery to have to deal with I guess! 🤣

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I'm not sure. I see where you're coming from but I'd expect it to work regardless. I thought VW gave their units lifetime updates for the map data? I seem to recall seeing that on their website the other day, unless that's for newer cars than the Mark 7's...

I'd have expected, like you, for it to not have worked at all until the CP was removed - makes the most sense really, but it was "tracking" me (albeit out by 360 miles) fine when I nipped out earlier to try it, so I've got no idea at this stage..

Just more VW fuckery to have to deal with I guess! 🤣
In its current state, it's too unpredictable. Best to just wait and see what happens then go from there rather than potentially going down a rabbit hole unnecessarily!