GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofit of facelift BCM into pre-facelift Mk7 (in progress, please help 😬)

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Well, the memory seats adjust to the key being used. I forgot about the component protection.

Only have a level sensor fault, and a vehicle lighting fault. Ain't to bad with 2500 channels

Edit: And of course i could not learn the fobs. Because why not. Went to a resturant and ate, come out key fob didnt work, unlock door, and alarm starts going off. had to change bcm back in parking lot. i dont know why i do this to myself sometimes

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Well, the memory seats adjust to the key being used. I forgot about the component protection.

Only have a level sensor fault, and a vehicle lighting fault. Ain't to bad with 2500 channels

Edit: And of course i could not learn the fobs. Because why not. Went to a resturant and ate, come out key fob didnt work, unlock door, and alarm starts going off. had to change bcm back in parking lot. i dont know why i do this to myself sometimes
Very nice! When I finished I had a lighting fault (right rear something always on, had to fix that quickly), and also I had set the washer fluid level sensor to installed :LOL:. Figure at some point I'll retrofit that and a brake pad wear sensor... such low hanging fruit, why not?

My fobs still don't work. I had the fault for "remote key basic setting" or something like that. Incidentally had the same fault when the dealer replaced my pre-facelift BCM mid with a high. Of course I took it back and had them fix it.

Right now I'm waiting on a remote appointment to get the fobs working. My car was at the dealer a couple weeks ago for the 50k. I asked them if they could pair the remotes... they told me it would be $200 minimum for connecting to the computer 🤦‍♂️. Then whatever it came out to per hour for them to "fix" the key problem.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Very nice! When I finished I had a lighting fault (right rear something always on, had to fix that quickly), and also I had set the washer fluid level sensor to installed :LOL:. Figure at some point I'll retrofit that and a brake pad wear sensor... such low hanging fruit, why not?

My fobs still don't work. I had the fault for "remote key basic setting" or something like that. Incidentally had the same fault when the dealer replaced my pre-facelift BCM mid with a high. Of course I took it back and had them fix it.

Right now I'm waiting on a remote appointment to get the fobs working. My car was at the dealer a couple weeks ago for the 50k. I asked them if they could pair the remotes... they told me it would be $200 minimum for connecting to the computer 🤦‍♂️. Then whatever it came out to per hour for them to "fix" the key problem.
I was under the impression that adapting the keys would pair the remotes. I did that and they still didn't work. Maybe I got the frequency wrong.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I'm starting to think this bcm isn't going to work. The fobs should have been paired when I did the immobilizer adaptation. And I don't see anything in odis to pair the remotes

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I have considered that, still considering that. I have not gone as far as looking for a facelift BCM out of say, an NAR GTI/R. What part/software is your new BCM? It is weird and my understanding is also that pairing should happen with immo adaptation.

But from experience, immo can be adapted without the key fobs pairing. As mentioned before, dealer did the first of my BCM replacements. I checked both keys in the parking lot, both started the car fine. I only noticed I couldn't lock/unlock with the fobs a few days later. I park in my garage at home and in double airport gates at work. I almost never lock the car (also why I haven't been too worried about this) so I didn't notice for a couple days with the dealer work.

I had the same fault. I don't know what the dealer did to fix it though. I guess the active fault would have given them a guided function. But maybe that function was just immo adaptation again. Give me bit, I'll find a picture of the fault, or hopefully a scan.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I have the same bcm as you.

The weird thing is I have no keyfob related errors. There has got to be adaptation channel I'm missing somewhere.

The 084dd is for a 434mhz keyfob. I know there is that channel to change it, but I wonder if maybe that doesn't really do anything

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I didn't have the error until I tried the procedure to re-pair the fob...

This isn't a procedure I had ever done before, but it did not work for me, obviously, haha.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Well, I did fuck it up good. Started getting errors for lights. I had copied over my lighting adaptation channels. So I zero out the long leuchte strings. Boom no lights.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Oh yea, can't do that, haha...

You can code lighting on the new BCM via all the individual (old) leuchte adaptations channels
-or-
You can code lighting on the new BCM via the long leuchte strings

Changes made in the old channels are immediately reflected in the long strings. Likewise, changes made in the long strings are immediately reflected in the old channels.
The long string gets you (or me, or whoever) the ability to code the entire lighting config with just a few channels, versus hundreds. It's a convenience feature really.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
The 084dd is for a 434mhz keyfob. I know there is that channel to change it, but I wonder if maybe that doesn't really do anything
OOhhh .. yes, it certainly does do something!!

For a BCM with an active long-code string, the software switches that determine the key-fob frequency are on Byte 8, Bit 0-1. The value for 434.42MHz = hex03=xxxx xx11
For a newer type BCM, the equivalent adaptation channel is : ENG141651-ENG141957-ZV allgemein-Radio freq.

Don

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
OOhhh .. yes, it certainly does do something!! 434.42MHz

For a BCM with an active long-code string, the software switches that determine the key-fob frequency are on Byte 8, Bit 0-1. The value for 434.42MHz = hex03=xxxx xx11
For a newer type BCM, the equivalent adaptation channel is : ENG141651-ENG141957-ZV allgemein-Radio freq.

Don
@xabhax Yes indeed, looking back at Page 1 you can see my screenshot of Byte 8 for my old BCM, set to 315 Mhz.

Anyway, here is a picture (of a picture) of the fault I had for Remote Key. Note that when I had this fault immo adaptation had been completed. Both keys already worked to start the car, just no remote. I looked up some procedures for pairing remotes (not immo) using VCDS but none of those videos/old posts are for MQB. There is a remote key basic setting in VCDS (I think, been a while) but I don't know how to use it.

There is this thread on Ross Tech but the result seemed to be that VCDS couldn't do it, and the dealer told the OP their key was faulty anyway.
https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/30647/

1663629146311.png

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
@xabhax Yes indeed, looking back at Page 1 you can see my screenshot of Byte 8 for my old BCM, set to 315 Mhz.

Anyway, here is a picture (of a picture) of the fault I had for Remote Key. Note that when I had this fault immo adaptation had been completed. Both keys already worked to start the car, just no remote. I looked up some procedures for pairing remotes (not immo) using VCDS but none of those videos/old posts are for MQB. There is a remote key basic setting in VCDS (I think, been a while) but I don't know how to use it.

There is this thread on Ross Tech but the result seemed to be that VCDS couldn't do it, and the dealer told the OP their key was faulty anyway.
https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/30647/

View attachment 261051
Can you try something. Put your key fob up against the bcm and see if the fob works.

If I put the key close to the bcm it works. But more than a couple of inches it doesn't work. But old bcm works 20 30 feet. Is there a external antenna, that non facelifts don't have?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
OOhhh .. yes, it certainly does do something!!

Don
You would happen to have an admap for a kessy and non kessy car to compare. I gotta be missing a channel. But it's nothing obvious

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Can you try something. Put your key fob up against the bcm and see if the fob works.

If I put the key close to the bcm it works. But more than a couple of inches it doesn't work. But old bcm works 20 30 feet. Is there a external antenna, that non facelifts don't have?
Hmmm... After my first BCM replacement (dealer, pre-facelift mid > pre-facelift high) I found my key fob range was much lower, like in the 8-10 foot range. Where before I remember using the key fob to locate my car in the Universal Studios parking lot... it worked from 35 feet easy. And I could park in my garage and go upstairs, still lock/unlock the car with the fob.

The 8-10 foot range was only annoying because it used to be much greater. I did look in the diagrams for an antenna of some type, also thinking I had disconnected something. I never found anything... but then people on the forums reported "normal" range of anywhere from 10 feet to 30+ so I just kind of left it. Replaced fob batteries, didn't change anything.

Now... another new BCM, even less range. And I tried what you said... my fob does work when replaced right near the BCM! Only tried one of them but figure the other works too.

When initially troubleshooting I did all kinds of experimenting with the "ZV" adaptations, also thinking it was a KESSY thing, although my car doesn't have KESSY. Even now I haven't reverted all those changes, and my car is coded for "SafeLock" which we don't have in the states. I get a message on the dash about SafeLock whenever I turn the car off. I need to revert to my immediately-post BCM change settings for ZV. I suspect they were correct and I just never put the key right beside the BCM.

So now the question is... why is the range so short?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Hmmm... After my first BCM replacement (dealer, pre-facelift mid > pre-facelift high) I found my key fob range was much lower, like in the 8-10 foot range. Where before I remember using the key fob to locate my car in the Universal Studios parking lot... it worked from 35 feet easy. And I could park in my garage and go upstairs, still lock/unlock the car with the fob.

The 8-10 foot range was only annoying because it used to be much greater. I did look in the diagrams for an antenna of some type, also thinking I had disconnected something. I never found anything... but then people on the forums reported "normal" range of anywhere from 10 feet to 30+ so I just kind of left it. Replaced fob batteries, didn't change anything.

Now... another new BCM, even less range. And I tried what you said... my fob does work when replaced right near the BCM! Only tried one of them but figure the other works too.

When initially troubleshooting I did all kinds of experimenting with the "ZV" adaptations, also thinking it was a KESSY thing, although my car doesn't have KESSY. Even now I haven't reverted all those changes, and my car is coded for "SafeLock" which we don't have in the states. I get a message on the dash about SafeLock whenever I turn the car off. I need to revert to my immediately-post BCM change settings for ZV. I suspect they were correct and I just never put the key right beside the BCM.

So now the question is... why is the range so short?
I was thinking my bcm was bad. So if yours is doing it to its not a hardware problem. There has to be a channel we are missing.

I just hope it will work. But I have a feeling it won't. The dd bcm is from a kessy car. Maybe it relies on the kessy antennas for the remote lock/unlock.

I've been through line by line in odis and vcds. I don't see anything related to it. Unless the channel name is something weird or not obvious