GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofit of facelift BCM into pre-facelift Mk7 (in progress, please help 😬)

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Ya, I tried to do it my way. I think I was at it for about 3 hours. And I barely made a dent.

I'm gonna take up cuzoe on his offer.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Responded to your PM... One of the nice things about doing it on the bench is that you don't need to have cleared component protection or anything like that. You can do all the adaptations and then when you put it in the car, handle CP and you're good to go.

Except for fixing the inevitable small number of mistakes you will have made while your eyes were crossed looking at Excel docs. I provided my ad maps to @DV52 over on the Ross tech forums. That BCM compare document is quite nice!

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
@xabhax : Hi - I'm with @Cuzoe, sounds like a torturous way to align the channel database settings in the new BCM!!

I have developed a BCM compare macro using MS Access and MX excel for swapping modules based on VCDS admaps - it produces a spreadsheet identifying the adaptation channels in the new BCM that need attention.

If you want to look at an example - download the spreadsheet HERE (this is a real life case from the Ross-Tech forum). I suggest that you download the excel file and view it on a local PC because Dropbox doesn't handle my formatting well.

So, the columns in my spreadsheet are self explanatory (I hope) - but the target channels for attention are identified in the column headed "Same setting?" - which means for each of the channels listed, is the setting the same for both the "old" BCM and the "new" BCM? If the answer is NO - then the channel needs attention. As you can see, I've listed the NO entries first.

There are 3 x cases where the answer to "Same settings?" will be NO:
  1. The channel appears both in the old BCM and in the new BCM and the settings have different values
  2. The channel appears only in the new BCM
  3. The channel appears only in the old BCM

There are two workbooks in the spreadsheet : the first workbook lists ALL the channels in the new BCM and those channels in the old BCM that have the identical channel name (and their settings). The channels in case #2 above are also listed in the first workbook

The second workbook contains those channels in the old BCM that are not in the new BCM - so case #3 above.

If you provide admaps for the old and new BCMs - I can provide a BCM compare spreadsheet (it will save lots of time!!).

I've used these spreadsheets on lots of occasions - I simply print-off the tables with the "NO answer", then I sit in the car and start from the beginning of the list (making notes on the printed page for each channel). It's still not a quick process, but it's fairly easy (just lots of repetition!!)

Don
When i get the admap of the new bcm do you want me to post in a thread, or PM?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Responded to your PM... One of the nice things about doing it on the bench is that you don't need to have cleared component protection or anything like that. You can do all the adaptations and then when you put it in the car, handle CP and you're good to go.

Except for fixing the inevitable small number of mistakes you will have made while your eyes were crossed looking at Excel docs. I provided my ad maps to @DV52 over on the Ross tech forums. That BCM compare document is quite nice!
Ive been thinking about just getting a cheap one from aliexpress. I wanna test some golf 8 modules to see if they will work. The 5wa lane assist camera perhaps. I saw a video of the automatic lane change. And it has me fixated.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This is the one I have, and sent your way... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802438074098.html
Not the cheapest but not the most expensive, kind of a mess of plugs that I will put some labels on at some point. And for whatever reason there are three plugs that look like the one for the gateway. I picked the one "closest" to the single OBD port, but I'm not sure what the others are for. When I bought it the only thing I wanted was BCM and cluster and it has those.

The gateway that's in the box is the one that came with the bench setup. I have not used. When I was doing my BCM I had also just retrofitted the 3Q0 gateway so I had my old gateway and old BCM connected to the bench setup. Both of those parts were sent to a better place... another TDI S owner just dipping into retrofits, over on Ross Tech.

Auto lane change 🤤 I assume first is the facelift rear radar, I have not ran across anything about a 5WA camera. I know what I'll be looking at tonight 🤦‍♂️. What's different between the 5WA and the 2Q0?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
When i get the admap of the new bcm do you want me to post in a thread, or PM?
Just post them both here, or somewhere online (with a link here).

To be clear, my macro needs the admaps to be in .CSV format . So make sure that you set-up the admap dialogue box in VCDS like this (notice "CSV file" is selected in "Output"):

Don

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
This is the one I have, and sent your way... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802438074098.html
Not the cheapest but not the most expensive, kind of a mess of plugs that I will put some labels on at some point. And for whatever reason there are three plugs that look like the one for the gateway. I picked the one "closest" to the single OBD port, but I'm not sure what the others are for. When I bought it the only thing I wanted was BCM and cluster and it has those.

The gateway that's in the box is the one that came with the bench setup. I have not used. When I was doing my BCM I had also just retrofitted the 3Q0 gateway so I had my old gateway and old BCM connected to the bench setup. Both of those parts were sent to a better place... another TDI S owner just dipping into retrofits, over on Ross Tech.

Auto lane change 🤤 I assume first is the facelift rear radar, I have not ran across anything about a 5WA camera. I know what I'll be looking at tonight 🤦‍♂️. What's different between the 5WA and the 2Q0?
The difference, I dunno. They are the same shape. 2q0s where installed on 2020 tiguans. 5was where only on golf 8 as far as I know.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Just post them both here, or somewhere online (with a link here).

To be clear, my macro needs the admaps to be in .CSV format . So make sure that you set-up the admap dialogue box in VCDS like this (notice "CSV file" is selected in "Output"):

Don
Gotcha

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

@Cuzoe : Hmm......... I don't understand how the aliexpess "test-bench" can work!! When I first built my MQB test-bench (see picture below - and yes, it's nowhere near as pretty as the aliexpress unit) - simply hooking-up the CAN high/low and power supply wires to the BCM and Gateway module didn't do much once I plugged-in my VCDS cable into the OBD port.

The problem was that I needed to "wake-up" the modules by simulating the ignition key function (it wasn't sufficient to generate a T15 voltage from the BCM). Eric and Andy from Ross-Tech had the same problem when they built their MQB test-bench (see HERE).

As you will be aware, the module wake-up signal is a CAN based message that is initiated by the steering wheel module via the multi-pole switch that sits at the back of the ignition key. That's why I had to add the "ignition switch" and hex44 module shown in my picture below.

How does this function work on the aliexpress unit?

Don

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@DV52 Gotta say I'm not sure. But I will say that looking at that thread over on Ross-Tech, which include that picture and the struggles you all had made me re-think my decision to build my own test bench. I picked up the one on Ali and it worked straight away. Connected BCM and Gateway, plugged it into the wall, connected HEX-CAN and away I went.

I even considered (after I was done with my facelift BCM) at least opening up the connectors at two BCM plugs (it has A and C) to see what was going on. Then I thought... why am I opening this up when it works fine 🤷‍♂️.

As I mentioned, I have not connected any other modules, but thus far I'm optimistic. I just dug up the picture they sent me, which looks to be from another Ali listing but for the same harness. And I see it says key read coil 🤨. I've been lamenting the prospect of flashing my AID in the car because it will take around 8 hours from what I've read. If I can do it on my desk with this setup that will be awesome. I've already gotta put the AID on the bench (and use my old HEX-CAN in dumb mode) to run up the mileage and make it match my car.
1663111180762.png

@xabhax It doesn't look like the setup I bought will work for your (and my) lane change assist dreams, but there are more costly setups available on Ali that have way more plugs... like this one... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255800108822509.html. It looks like from this link you would need buy the 001 tools (which is the harness I have) and then connect that to the 002 tools (pictured below).

The 002 tools identifies plug 02 as being connected to the 001 tools. And in the picture above there is an unlabeled connector, which must be for the 002 tool connection... pretty neat.
1663111706449.png

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
@DV52 Gotta say I'm not sure. But I will say that looking at that thread over on Ross-Tech, which include that picture and the struggles you all had made me re-think my decision to build my own test bench. I picked up the one on Ali and it worked straight away. Connected BCM and Gateway, plugged it into the wall, connected HEX-CAN and away I went.

I even considered (after I was done with my facelift BCM) at least opening up the connectors at two BCM plugs (it has A and C) to see what was going on. Then I thought... why am I opening this up when it works fine 🤷‍♂️.

As I mentioned, I have not connected any other modules, but thus far I'm optimistic. I just dug up the picture they sent me, which looks to be from another Ali listing but for the same harness. And I see it says key read coil 🤨. I've been lamenting the prospect of flashing my AID in the car because it will take around 8 hours from what I've read. If I can do it on my desk with this setup that will be awesome. I've already gotta put the AID on the bench (and use my old HEX-CAN in dumb mode) to run up the mileage and make it match my car.
View attachment 260610

@xabhax It doesn't look like the setup I bought will work for your (and my) lane change assist dreams, but there are more costly setups available on Ali that have way more plugs... like this one... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255800108822509.html. It looks like from this link you would need buy the 001 tools (which is the harness I have) and then connect that to the 002 tools (pictured below).

The 002 tools identifies plug 02 as being connected to the 001 tools. And in the picture above there is an unlabeled connector, which must be for the 002 tool connection... pretty neat.
View attachment 260611
I saw that big one, but for the most part I can add other connectors just by splicing. I did try to make my own, but it was a mess, and I was afraid of shorting modules out.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yea, I figure I could add things if I wanted, and aircraft wire repair is part of my day job so I'm not concerned about shorting anything out... but then I also need to get connectors and pins. I can't justify the use of my time versus cost of the pre-made 🤷‍♂️.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
The inside of a BCM from a MQB platform car (3 x Socket version) looks like this: