GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofit Exhaust Valves

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Struggling to find much information online. Is it possible to retrofit the electrical exhaust valve component similar to that of a Golf R to a GTI? Or is it possible to convert something like the OEM Golf R exhaust to be controlled via remote?

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
It is definitely possible. Valve control can be done OEM+ with a Kuster electronic actuator from VAG/Ford vehicles, an exhaust valve that can be operated with said servomotor, and an AWE Switchpath remote, or by using other aftermarket options (like what GTI Jake is using). What type of exhaust are you trying to retrofit a valve to? Usually the point of the valve is to divert exhaust flow through a muffler/sound dampener when closed, and allow exhaust flow through a louder conduit when open (whether that’s a louder muffler, straight pipe, or cutout).

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
It is definitely possible. Valve control can be done OEM+ with a Kuster electronic actuator from VAG/Ford vehicles, an exhaust valve that can be operated with said servomotor, and an AWE Switchpath remote, or by using other aftermarket options (like what GTI Jake is using). What type of exhaust are you trying to retrofit a valve to? Usually the point of the valve is to divert exhaust flow through a muffler/sound dampener when closed, and allow exhaust flow through a louder conduit when open (whether that’s a louder muffler, straight pipe, or cutout).
I'm toying with the idea of fitting a modified stock Golf R exhaust to my GTI, I have a catted downpipe so I'd like to be able to use the valves as they were left open from the previous owner.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
I'd imagine you'd need an AWE switchpath remote (turns valves open/closed) and 2 Kuster actuators, along with whatever modifications to the "suitcase" muffler for it to fit the GTI valence, as well as custom routing of the piping into it.

Here are the part numbers for the black Kuster actuator from various manufacturers. They're all the same part, and all over Ebay:
VW 4H0133246J
Audi 4H0133246H
Volvo 31372261
Ford FR3V-9V468-AB
Audi 4H0 133 246H

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’d listen to an R with a downpipe and stock catback in person, there’s definitely no sound quality to be gained here.

Also, the R muffler is considerably heavier so all and all personally I’d see it as an expensive downgrade

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I'd imagine you'd need an AWE switchpath remote (turns valves open/closed) and 2 Kuster actuators, along with whatever modifications to the "suitcase" muffler for it to fit the GTI valence, as well as custom routing of the piping into it.

Here are the part numbers for the black Kuster actuator from various manufacturers. They're all the same part, and all over Ebay:
VW 4H0133246J
Audi 4H0133246H
Volvo 31372261
Ford FR3V-9V468-AB
Audi 4H0 133 246H
Thanks for the info. The stock R suitcase muffler should have these valves already which are plug and play with the SwitchPath system from my understanding. Routing shouldn't be too hard as I have my current system cut just after the bend by the fuel tank so just requires some piping bent and welded in its place. 7.5 R valence fits the 7.5 GTI bumper so I'm good there.
I’d listen to an R with a downpipe and stock catback in person, there’s definitely no sound quality to be gained here.

Also, the R muffler is considerably heavier so all and all personally I’d see it as an expensive downgrade
A friend locally has one, I will have to give it a listen. I personally love the deep exhaust note of the R in stock fashion. Hard to tell from videos and there are a lot more GTI videos on YouTube.

I'm all for experimenting but yes this will add quite a bit of weight and will cost more than say, a Rev9 exhaust with pancake mufflers and a 17950 after it's all said and done. But it'll definitely be unique, but not sure I'm sold on the quad tips. I'm still chasing a a particular sound that seems is harder to achieve with an aftermarket downpipe.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the info. The stock R suitcase muffler should have these valves already which are plug and play with the SwitchPath system from my understanding. Routing shouldn't be too hard as I have my current system cut just after the bend by the fuel tank so just requires some piping bent and welded in its place. 7.5 R valence fits the 7.5 GTI bumper so I'm good there.

A friend locally has one, I will have to give it a listen. I personally love the deep exhaust note of the R in stock fashion. Hard to tell from videos and there are a lot more GTI videos on YouTube.

I'm all for experimenting but yes this will add quite a bit of weight and will cost more than say, a Rev9 exhaust with pancake mufflers and a 17950 after it's all said and done. But it'll definitely be unique, but not sure I'm sold on the quad tips. I'm still chasing a a particular sound that seems is harder to achieve with an aftermarket downpipe.

The 17950 alone added to you setup will make it significantly deeper, like 20%.

Basically the equivalent of BMW M car vs a rental spec model BMW

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
https://streamable.com/rhhkv