GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofit Door Exit LEDs on Golf MK7.5 GTD

gartonious

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7.5 GTD
Hi all, I am trying to retrofit some door exit LEDs on my 2018 MK7.5 Golf GTD but once I took the door card off and got to the door controller, pin 16 was already been used by the ambient lighting on the door card. I had done some research and all it said was to use pin 16 and tap into the brown ground cable in order to install the exit lights but since this is already in use I am now stuck.

Please can someone advise as I would love to get this installed? I have attached the pins on the passenger door control unit - 5Q0 959 592 B

DoorModule.jpg

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
hmm...............If you want a BCM pin-out, perhaps THIS (it's not official - but I believe that it's accurate)?

Don

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Thank-you for your reply. i shall have a better look when back home. I dont suppose you have the same document for the central control module, 5Q0937084CP, ВСМ MQBAB M+? ive also been having issues installing RGB footwell lights :( thank-you in adanced
What issues? I've got RGB footwell lights, and other RGB lights for that matter. I also have started, probably too many, threads about RGB ambient lighting. I'm planning to start a "final" one now that I have it all working.

In the meantime, I can probably help with the footwells though.

gartonious

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7.5 GTD
What issues? I've got RGB footwell lights, and other RGB lights for that matter. I also have started, probably too many, threads about RGB ambient lighting. I'm planning to start a "final" one now that I have it all working.

In the meantime, I can probably help with the footwells though.
I've bought the wireing loom from aliexpress for the RGB footwell lights but I don't believe my BCM supports the LIN connector on pin C 29? Not sure if there is another port I could use?

With regards to the door exit lights, pin 16 is been used by the door card lighting so unless if could use another pin maybe for that too?

Thank-you in advanced, any support is welcome. The diagrams provided by DV52 is for the mk7 golf and not my mk7.5 as it seems to have a different pin out.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You need Plug C pin 29, that's the LIN bus pin for RGB lighting (all of it gets connected to the same pin).

I'm not sure about the door exit lights. I have an Mk7 and wired door exit lights to pin 16. Maybe you can use another pin but I do not have diagrams for Mk7.5.

gartonious

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7.5 GTD
You need Plug C pin 29, that's the LIN bus pin for RGB lighting (all of it gets connected to the same pin).

I'm not sure about the door exit lights. I have an Mk7 and wired door exit lights to pin 16. Maybe you can use another pin but I do not have diagrams for Mk7.5.
Thank-you for coming back to me.

Yes everything I have read online also says to use pin 16 on the door control module but like I say with the MK7.5, they have used that pin for the door lighting which is annoying. Strange thing is the control module already has the door exit lights enabled by manufacture but no spare wires for it just to be plugged in.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Thank-you for coming back to me.

Yes everything I have read online also says to use pin 16 on the door control module but like I say with the MK7.5, they have used that pin for the door lighting which is annoying. Strange thing is the control module already has the door exit lights enabled by manufacture but no spare wires for it just to be plugged in.
Do you have the door sill lighting? If so, that is why it is enabled and why pin 16 is in use. Since I refuse to splice into the original harness, I've been able to find or obtain male/female connectors that will accept the original harness pin so that I can dovetail the wiring without splicing. I've found most of the aliexpress harnesses work this way.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Kushdaiin Why so adamantly against splicing? We do it in airplanes every day 😬.

Where @gartonious threw me off is with saying that pin 16 is used for door card lighting. That didn't strike me as correct but I don't have a 7.5 or the schematics for it.

But if it's used for sill lighting that makes sense, they only need to be lit up when the doors are open, so the door exit light should just be sliced into that.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
@Cuzoe I don't know. Something about ruining the integrity of the original harness just bothers me. It's not wrong to splice, just not my cup of tea. Plus, at least in my engineering mind, it makes it easier to undo mods if I feel like it (which honestly, I probably never will 😂).

gartonious

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7.5 GTD
Yeah I have to admit I won't be cutting into any original wiring either, i'll just buy the male / female plugs first and just make my own harness.

I believe I might some information but I can't be 100% sure until I take the door card back off to check the wiring with a volt meter...

I believe pin 16 is been used by the door handle light and has been set to be always on, even with the head lights off so it lights up the door handle - it does fade in / out when the car is locked or if it is left for a while without the key in so it does power off but all the door card lights are lit when the head lights are on / nothing is off when the door is closed. So what I am saying is the function of the light does not act like it should do for a exit light when the door is open / closed (fade on when the door is open and fade off when closed).

Interestingly I did disable the exit light is installed option on my OBD11 but nothing changed (I was expecting a light to no longer be lit on the door handle). I need to plug in my VAGCOM cable to the computer to look properly but does anyone have ideas from this? Is there perhaps a way to change the way the light works so it acts like an exit light which fades in / out when the door is open instead of been on all the time for the door handle (presuming this is how it is wired up, need to double check).

If this can be recoded then I'll just make a wire harness which connects the exit light to pin 16 which will then work normally then just wire the door handle light and the handle LED together. (3 lights on the door - door handle, handle and strip at the top of the door card) Hope this makes sense and thank-you in advanced.

Worst case scenario, I'll just wire the exit light to the mirror puddle light... It'll just be lit even if the doors closed (unlocking) then will go off.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Do you have door sill lights?

Also, I don't think the little white door handle light is part of "ambient lighting" as we typically think of them. I would not expect this wiring has changed between 7 and 7.5, but I'll look in the diagram sometime later.

I would expect that little white light to turn on and off with the dome lights, which turn on and off no matter how your headlight switch is set. And that behavior seems to be what you are describing. I can't speak to anything that OBD11 does with any of the apps. I don't use it anymore but even if I did I would still do everything manually.

This next bit is just curiosity... What is the logic for a door handle light to act like an exit light? If the door is open, why would you need the handle to be illuminated?

gartonious

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7.5 GTD
Sorry for the slow reply with this, I put this project on a back burner but would like to get this sorted now its summer.

So as mentioned the door handle light is always on when the key is in... following the wiring back this does seem to use the pin 16. There must be a mode set where this is always on with power (day and night) rather than just when the door is open. There must be a way to change this however I could always wire it into the mirror puddle light instead to get similar results

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I did the MK7 write up here:-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...arning-lights-from-the-vw-passat-2013.326032/

Now if that doesn't work, you could use the "cheat" from the rear door DIY...where you take a main power live feed in the door & relay it out to the "+" of the LED EXIT lights then find the door lock open wire & relay that as a "signal" wire to activate the main power for the lights...

So basically one relay, with low volt signal side being door lock/latch activation wire ...& high volt being main power to EXIT lights...