GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofit Arteon / Passat overhead ambient light / map light console into a MK7.5 GTI

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Posted this message below over at the Arteon section in hopes of getting some additional details.

----------

I'm researching on whether or not the Arteon's / ROW Passat 3G swanky overhead map light / ambient lighting unit can be retrofitted into other VW models. Most particularity into a 2019 GTI without sunroof. From all the images I've seen it looks to be able to fit within the same headliner opening. The issue becomes wiring it up and hopefully getting it all to work properly.

This is what I'm referring to:

Some used units on Ebay overseas. Looking for a black one from a model without sunroof.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
The shape does look the same. I'm interested in seeing if it would work out, though I wouldn't do it to my car as I like the sunglass holder.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Anyone try this yet? I really wish we had the small little red led lights that would light up the shifter area like the mk6 gtis had or pretty much any newer Audi

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
I haven't yet. Trying to source a like-new part from European parts recyclers.

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
Darn no updates yet. I was lntrigued but I don't wanna lose my sunglass holder.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Bumping this! I have not had the time to fully investigate this mod (yet).

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
I’m interested in this as well. Thinking about just buying one new and going from there.

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
So i tried te ambient lighting along with the skylight.
-the panel Fits no problem (you just lose the glasses storage)
- my first plan was to connect the light on the panel to a free unused BCM pin.
I checked VCDS I had 1 unused pin that I could adapt for the light but it turned out that the pin is physically missing from the BCM.
- so if you want to have that light you would need a Passat highline BCM which is a pain in the ass to adapt. Because you have to do one option at a time.(Maybe someone could help with that).
- you wold need MIB 2 or 2.5 that can control the ambient light.
so for a 30$ light you have to invest more to make it run.

but there is always a but. You could connect the (new) positive cable to the footwell light. So it will be dimming with the footwell lights. I contacted the men who was posting the retrofit in poland and Russia but no luck. Reply I’ve got was “a friend connected the cables”

I couldn’t test the rear lights because I have a pano roof there for I have different kind of lights.

So that is my part of trying the ambient light. Hopefully I will have the time to try it with the footwell light.

when I was checking this mod I found that the new Passat have the dome light panel with touch controls. So I think that could work better. ( just with the connection with the footwell light)

1E39A494-0CE8-4AA3-8518-251E1EF5A4B9.jpeg

If someone have MK7 MY 2018-2019 could you confirm that you Haved or dont have OEM ambient lights controled with MIB ?

Last edited:

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
My 2019 GTI does not have an ambient lighting section in the radio. However my wife’s 2021 GLI does.

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
Do you have the MIB 3 (2.5) on your GTI ?
Full touch screen or touch screen with knobs.
On the GLI it would be much more possible to do the mod OEM way. But I cannot confirm that 100% because in the eu we don’t have GLI’s I don’t know much about them.
But for your GTI you have to change the highline BCM for the Passat/Arteon one.
Or try to connect the positive wire from the switch to the footwell light.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
On the GLI it would be much more possible to do the mod OEM way. But I cannot confirm that 100% because in the eu we don’t have GLI’s I don’t know much about them.
No I have MIB2 do you know the part number for the BCM I can check

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
I’d also have to try and find if the coding allows the menu to appear.