Retrofit ambient lighting for Pano sunroof

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Sadly no,
I’ve encountered some problems.
1. Leak through the panoroof.
2. There is a lot of condensation between the window and the roof so there is high risk that the electric circut will short.
3. Upgrade of the CAN Gateway is needed to 3Q0... High.

Even if you upgrade to CAN high, AFAIK the BCM does not support panoramic sunroof light, and also there is no real slot for it.

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
OK Guys, I am opening this topic again. I had talk to some members friends. And i think i will be able to make it work. I have all the stuff on my way.
I will keep you posted and i will post everything about the install. (I am instaling the White light only not the RGB lights.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
OK Guys, I am opening this topic again. I had talk to some members friends. And i think i will be able to make it work. I have all the stuff on my way.
I will keep you posted and i will post everything about the install. (I am instaling the White light only not the RGB lights.

Where did you buy and where do you plan to connect it? According to @ZERO815, the Golf BCM does not support it.

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
The modules i bought from aliexpress but just the white ones because the car wont support those colors.
they were like 30€.
Next is the tube. I think you can get it in every light store or just type in google "glow fiber optic".

There are Two ways :
You can just connect it to any existing light (footwell, ambient, buttons, etc.)
Or

You can connect it to the BCM. You just need to find a unused pin and program it to the light modules.
and add ambient function to control it from the infotaiment.

That is just a theory...i will know more when i have everything home and try it.

crngiar auto

Car(s)
skoda
The modules i bought from aliexpress but just the white ones because the car wont support those colors.
they were like 30€.
Next is the tube. I think you can get it in every light store or just type in google "glow fiber optic".

There are Two ways :
You can just connect it to any existing light (footwell, ambient, buttons, etc.)
Or

You can connect it to the BCM. You just need to find a unused pin and program it to the light modules.
and add ambient function to control it from the infotaiment.

That is just a theory...i will know more when i have everything home and try it.

also can used the can simulater to install the ambeint light , just plug and play form the getway , not connect the bcm

this is need you unit is also coding 30 colors , also control by the original unit

crngiar auto

Car(s)
skoda
Are you related to the AliExpress sellers? :)
P10604-102223.jpg

this is the used the simulator

install in the passat B8 which is bcm is also not support

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
So i fitted the Skylight.

I found a possible solution but in my case it did not work.
I found that BCM have free unused pins that you can adapt as you like (aditional light etc.) But when Ichecked it Ifound that i dont havethe free BCM pin. Basically if you have on VCDS in BCM adaptations a free pin. In my case pin6 you can connect cable to the pin and then with VCDS adapt the functions of the pin 6.

Or you can find Cupholder pin and coded it as cupholder light.

I bought the light modules, and optical tubes. connected them to the footwell lights and it works great. I will post a video and pictures when i get home.
Everything costed about 40$.

Or if you want the full ambient packet you can use the module mentioned above. But 300+$ is too much for me for the lights.

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
As I promised. I don’t have any photos of the process because it was a test.
This is how it looks
70A978CB-C81E-4AFF-9BF2-3547FF2C1500.jpeg
37B3962B-4342-4A1B-850A-1D9CB264FFAB.jpeg
5B76F424-D8BC-451F-B812-D2F8EBFA6770.jpeg

Attachments

• ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
    13.7 MB · Views: 220

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Oh wow, that looks really nice.

Did you end up buying the kit from AliExpress? I see your sunroof is bigger than mine, I assume it's a golf wagon?

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
Yes i have a golf 7 wagon only wagons and tiguan have panoramic sunroof.

No, as i wrote above I connected the lights to the footwell lights. The light is not bright it doesn’t bother you when you are driving and it gives a nice athmosphere.

if you are a handy man you can do the same as I did. But you have to adjust the optical tube to your sunroof(cut it to shape) it all depends on your taste how you want the lights

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
You misunderstood my question. I do understand that you connected it to the footwell lights. My question was - what lights did you use for it? Did you use the AliExpress lights, or create your own using optical tubes? Can you post links to the items you used?