GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofit ambient lighting for Pano sunroof

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Well, in that case, I don't think the BCM will support it. However, I don't mind plugging it into existing ambient light. The problem is I don't want to order the LEDs only to find out they don't fit.

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
can explain connection to me?
how do you even read those wiring diagrams? can hlep?
@golfbuddy3

Basically you have a Legend on the right side and you go from that :

If you look on the far right side diagram :

from the bottom to the top :

G578 is the module (what the legend says)
T4cc Pin conector with 4 connections
0.35 is the thickness of the cable
vi/ws is a shorcut for color in german Vi - violett/lila (purple) WS - weiss (white)

that is the basics.

Last edited:

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
Well, in that case, I don't think the BCM will support it. However, I don't mind plugging it into existing ambient light. The problem is I don't want to order the LEDs only to find out they don't fit.
If i know the diameter of the led light. from Aliexpress i could try it at home.
The LED testing stripe that i have posted did not fit. When i open/close the shader it took the stripe with it and just pushed it off.
The Cheaper alternative i suggest this : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32501430228.html
Just tap this to the existing light the optic cable is very thin and cheap.

But that is just my opinion

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
To my understanding this is just a plastic tube? You still need a good quality LED.

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
Oh my bad and you will need also this : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Take it just as a refernece.... but 6$ compared to 100$ is a big difference. And when it is bad it is just a 6$...
Because if the Aliexpress Pano-light does not have the same HUE as the OEM one you will save 94$.

What i want to say is that if it cannot be connected the OEM way to BCM this would be a great alternative.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie

It doesnt work like that. you can do it with just a regular LED strip but not with the OEM one

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
So, to my understanding:
Pin 1 -> Pin 4 of B552 (roof wiring harness)
Pin 2 -> Pin 29 of T73B (Socket B of BCM0
Pin 4 -> Ground?
There's a typo from VW in the diagram. The BCM connectors on MQB cars are
A: T73a = 73 pins
B: T46b = 46 pins
C: T73c = 73 pins.
Basically you have to look for Pin 29 on T73C. I have checked google for a pic of my BCM 5Q0937087AA 028 0163. I can find a "BCM 5Q0937087AA 028 0162"-pic and it isn't equipped with Pin 29 on connector C.

Attachments

• 20200930_T73C-Pin29_Pano_light.pdf
    477 KB · Views: 329

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
Basically you have to look for Pin 29 on T73C. I have checked google for a pic of my BCM 5Q0937087AA 028 0163. I can find a "BCM 5Q0937087AA 028 0162"-pic and it isn't equipped with Pin 29 on connector C.
Correct me if I am wrong...

But Golf is on the 1gen MQB platform
and The Mk2 Tiguan is on the MQB A2 platform.

So i think they have different BCM.
But i think the TOURAN had the ambient pano lights aswell.
And if my memory is correct, then the Touran Golf share the same MQB platform
So if my statement is correct we should look at the Tourans BCM

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Why not ?
I think you can tap it on the existing ambient light if you want only the white light. i think they are the same LEDs.

There is a reason its connected to there and not just to any other wire.

Maybe Pin 29 on socket B on cars with the ambient lighting, Is also shared with the rest of the ambient lighting in the car, in that case you can tap into the rest of the ambient lighting in the car, if not then it just will not work.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Correct me if I am wrong...

But Golf is on the 1gen MQB platform
and The Mk2 Tiguan is on the MQB A2 platform.

So i think they have different BCM.
But i think the TOURAN had the ambient pano lights aswell.
And if my memory is correct, then the Touran Golf share the same MQB platform
So if my statement is correct we should look at the Tourans BCM
This diagram is for a 2018 tiguan, maybe its the newer module or maybe ZERO is right and its a typo.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI

Interesting!

A quick course for us newbies on how to read wiring diagrams? Hehe.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
This diagram is for a 2018 tiguan, maybe its the newer module or maybe ZERO is right and its a typo.
I pulled an adpmap from a NA 2019er Tiguan once. It had 5Q0937087BB as BCM # and it appears to have the same 73/46/73 connectors. On the NA Arteon documentation there are similar typos...

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
Sadly no,
I’ve encountered some problems.
1. Leak through the panoroof.
2. There is a lot of condensation between the window and the roof so there is high risk that the electric circut will short.
3. Upgrade of the CAN Gateway is needed to 3Q0... High.