GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofit Ambient Light on Dashboard for MK7 Golf R

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Oh I'm deep into the BCM and playing around with leuchte sets/channels, very much a student of the work that you and others have done in figuring this stuff out. I have the lighting case study thread for the later BCM's bookmarked and read through it (too) often. What I really meant was I like to look at all the drawings so I have a picture of how everything works, for nerd purposes mostly. I'm an aircraft avionics/electrical system tech by trade, so this is all fun for me. I understand the Leuchte naming conventions helped me code out the soft fault for the cornering lights not present in many of the plug and play replacements for halogens.

Me and my BCM (and the dealer who screwed up the replacement for the better part of a month) are very familiar, haha. I've found four unused Leuchte sets on my BCM (car with stock Halogens) but haven't had a chance to play around in VCDS and see what all can be assigned to them with regard to ambient lighting (besides footwells at least).

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Oh I'm deep into the BCM and playing around with leuchte sets/channels,

Whenever I see a fellow member "taking one for the team" I feel that when they return from the traumatic experience we should keep them comfortable in the corner & let them speak of their experiences at their own pace...in amongst all the nerves twitching, shakes, etc that will be the result of the mental suffering!

.."pin 47 to Pin 29T/33 doesn't go, unless the bCM lechte channel RGB is set to ........Doorrrrr......dooooorrrrrr.........VCDS HEX algorithm is now not on the rod file, but is the subset id......D.....DDDDD........."

"just take your time & have another sip of whisky"...

(been there done that......)...

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I need to buy a later VCDS interface; need to see if they still offer the trade-in credit to updgrade. I'm still using my first HEX+CAN so it doesn't read the detail of some faults and won't let me change some adaptations. I have ODIS (off-line) but it's soooooo slow. I do like that ODIS groups adaptations, but again... slow.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I need to buy a later VCDS interface; need to see if they still offer the trade-in credit to updgrade. I'm still using my first HEX+CAN so it doesn't read the detail of some faults and won't let me change some adaptations. I have ODIS (off-line) but it's soooooo slow. I do like that ODIS groups adaptations, but again... slow.

YOU'RE STILL USING AN OLDER VCDS UNIT ON AN MQB PLAFTORM CAR..!!!!??????!!!!!........😱

"Cuzoe in the corner....with a nervous disposition"

Like WTF? ...😲......

..I sold my old one for purchase price as its VIN limit free...& bought a unlimited VIN newer cable pretty much straight away after I got my car...the speed difference in reading & doing admaps is huge!...let alone the other stuff it will do easily compered to the older interface..

Edited

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
YOU'RE STILL USING AN OLDER VCDS UNIT ON AN MQB PLAFTORM CAR..!!!!??????!!!!!........😱
Haha, I've rationed that I need it was my first, and I love it. Incidentally it still has dumb mode which is needed to roll the miles forward on the instrument cluster, so there's that.

Are you saying the new HEX-NET interface is faster than the HEX-CAN? If so I'm prepared to have my mind blown. I don't have any issue with the speed of my HEX-CAN, and grew to appreciate it 100x after using ODIS for the first time about 2 weeks ago.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Haha, I've rationed that I need it was my first, and I love it. Incidentally it still has dumb mode which is needed to roll the miles forward on the instrument cluster, so there's that.

Are you saying the new HEX-NET interface is faster than the HEX-CAN? If so I'm prepared to have my mind blown. I don't have any issue with the speed of my HEX-CAN, and grew to appreciate it 100x after using ODIS for the first time about 2 weeks ago.

My previous "Old" cable was a Ross-Tech VCDS, HEX+CAN, Dual-K & CAN <-> USB, Rev.B cable. Unlimited VIN’s

I replaced it with the newer HEX-V2 (in unlimited VIN form) which is faster...& reads all the modern modules & can easily cope with huge admap demands especially on vehicles with loads of options!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Fine @golfdave, are you happy now :ROFLMAO:
Happy Now.JPG

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
I've been eyeing getting the ambient lighting as consistent as possible and have been looking to pull the trigger on this kit on AliExpress. I think getting the rear doors done would really complete the experience but I'm really hung up on how to run new wiring through the TTHR and TTHL connectors.

So far the BSM retrofit threads have the best info on running a new wire through the TTVR/TTVL connectors but it looks really really tough to get the wire through the accordion connector that seals the wiring that goes to the door and I'd like to not have to remove the door.

Aside from that challenge, I was wondering if anyone knows if the kick plate lights follow the same program as the door card ambient lighting (eg. stays on when door is closed, follow the dimming levels on the ambient lighting slider?) I was hoping that for simplicity I could splice off the kickplate wiring to the dashboard and to the rear doors. I believe kickplates (W68) gets its own wiring from J386/J387 independent of the door card ambient lighting (W86) but can't tell if it is tied to the microswitch.

@carbon_gecko my OCD gets an anxiety attack seeing the dash as white surrounded by the red stripes... -_-"
I thought I wanted a red as well but all four doors have the red stripes and the white on the dash matches the interior white lights I will definitely re wire it through the bcm for individual control though

kyle_h

Passed Driver's Ed
My research tells me these are the Golf R numbers I found based on PR code 5TD. These 3 part numbers are for QQ3 interior ambient lighting.

5G2858418CCSJdash trimmatt aluminum/carbon (PR-5TD)
5G4854771ACSJLR door trimmatt aluminum/carbon (PR-5TD)
5G4854772ACSJRR door trimmatt aluminum/carbon (PR-5TD)

Last edited:

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
Looking for some help. I am in the process of collecting the parts required to upgrade my ambient lighting setup in my 2019 Alltrack. I have everything except for the Light strip for the rear door cards. My car did not come with the light strip in the rear....doesn't even have the aluminum trim that usually holds the light strip. I would need a replacement gray simulated carbon fiber trim with an aluminum strip so I can retrofit a diffuser into it.

I can't seem to locate the correct part.

PXL_20221127_230139756.MP.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@mannymoda Quite possible, likely even, that your rear door trim color isn't available with the "light strip" (which would have to be replaced with one that includes the light guide). My Golf came with the brushed silver trim which isn't available with the "light strip." For my retrofit I'm replacing the dash and all 4 door strips. I did a gloss black interior trim conversion anyway (for other reasons) so right now the dash/door strips are the only original trim left in the car.

You can get a full set of door/dash trim from Ali express...https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801302423280.html
- I'm guessing your door/dash strips don't match the other trim in your car anyway :unsure:

You can also get rear door trim from GTI/R with the "light strips" and then just buy the "chopsticks" as they call them... https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802978671858.html
- I assume your dash strip has the "light strip" but I don't know that you'll find rear door trim with your current pattern and the "light strip"
- This will give you mismatched rear door trim though, which you probably don't want

The source of your (our) issue is that even cars with ambient lighting never had ambient lighting in the rear doors. Adding the (non illuminated) "light strip" to the rear door cards was, I assume, just an aesthetic thing to provide a somewhat uniform look to the door cards. At some point VW probably figured that's easy cost savings. Remember VW didn't even illuminate the dash strip on cars with ambient lighting, but removing the "light strip" would be too obvious a discontinuity up there.

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
@Cuzoe Welcome back....I hope you enjoyed your trip :)

My dash trim color is pretty close in color to the trim pieces short the carbon fiber pattern.
Sounds like I am 💩 out of luck.

I guess I will have to buy a matching set and swap them all out. Bummer.