GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rest in Pieces 3rd gear

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Whelp, I was wrong. The thing that changed the gear ratios was the awd vs fwd setting (maybe combined with the 6 speed option), not the body style. The good news is I am now 100% certain about that because I tested it, but it seems like I only have the choice between 2 sets of gear ratios. Ironshade, if you do pick up an MQ350, I recommend a mk7 GTI's as it should have the right gear ratios to work with this.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Yea, it's a lot louder than it was with the 5 speed, especially with the A/C on. I don't really mind though. I have a friend with a mk6 golf R and a single mass flywheel that sounds the same, so I knew what I was getting myself into.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Yea, it's a lot louder than it was with the 5 speed, especially with the A/C on. I don't really mind though. I have a friend with a mk6 golf R and a single mass flywheel that sounds the same, so I knew what I was getting myself into.

Did you run stock clutch on 5mt? Asking because mk7 ecs clutch is 584$ shipped currently and im trigger happy

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Ooh, that's a fantastic price. I had the SouthBend Stage 2 endurance clutch on the 5mt. Still have it actually, I need to find someone who wants it...

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Ooh, that's a fantastic price. I had the SouthBend Stage 2 endurance clutch on the 5mt. Still have it actually, I need to find someone who wants it...

Any lean issues or booking great? Just really wann do mk6 swap instead mk7 due to cost

Edit. Mk7 6speed clutch kit just ordered

Yep

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Still working on the lean issues. Setting the JB4 to reduce boost fixes the issue, but then I don't have much boost. Unitronic is still the only company to give me a polite and helpful response. They've been busy lately, but with any luck will be able to help me soon.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Still working on the lean issues. Setting the JB4 to reduce boost fixes the issue, but then I don't have much boost. Unitronic is still the only company to give me a polite and helpful response. They've been busy lately, but with any luck will be able to help me soon.

Think it’ll be an issue with mk7 trans? Or still just because boost by gear ?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I would double check that the gear ratios from the 4 motion wagons are the same as the mk7 GTI, but if they are then it shouldn't be a problem.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It's actually a 3rd gear log, the computer just assumes 2nd. I wasn't spinning much in it iirc. The AFR issues aren't while it thinks it's in a gear, even if it's wrong about which gear.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind I had them listed correctly. It's more obvious in the 3rd gear log, the instant it realizes it's in gear the AFR drops from 15+ to the 11's. I think I did a 5th gear log at one point and saw the same, maybe I'll do another high gear log to re-confirm my thoughts.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
4 motion is same trans as golf R

Diesel fwd is GTI trans

Which are different ratios

I think the 4 motion has different ratios than the R, which might match the GTI.

EDIT: Hm... maybe not. Though the ratios are definitely different than the R...

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
By George I think I've done it! I finally got around to doing a log with the new, updated APR software, and I'm seeing mid 12's AFR both in gear and out of gear (according to the computer)! This is as opposed to high 11's AFR in gear and ~15 AFR out of gear before. Additionally, the boost limit while out of gear is gone too. It's possible that the issue all along was a bug in the APR software that they fixed long ago. Now the only artifacts from the 6 speed swap remaining are the dashboard being wrong about which gear I'm in, and boost by gear grouping 2nd and 3rd gear together. Like an idiot I forgot to hit export on the log I took with the ECU not thinking I'm in gear, but I'm going to be doing a new round of ethanol tuning with the new software so I should get some not-in gear runs from that.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
By George I think I've done it! I finally got around to doing a log with the new, updated APR software, and I'm seeing mid 12's AFR both in gear and out of gear (according to the computer)! This is as opposed to high 11's AFR in gear and ~15 AFR out of gear before. Additionally, the boost limit while out of gear is gone too. It's possible that the issue all along was a bug in the APR software that they fixed long ago. Now the only artifacts from the 6 speed swap remaining are the dashboard being wrong about which gear I'm in, and boost by gear grouping 2nd and 3rd gear together. Like an idiot I forgot to hit export on the log I took with the ECU not thinking I'm in gear, but I'm going to be doing a new round of ethanol tuning with the new software so I should get some not-in gear runs from that.

Oh man... don’t tempt me im already on my 3rd 5speed lol. 119k miles on clock so far