GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rest in Pieces 3rd gear

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
There is no wire for it, the ECU calculates it based on wheel speed and engine RPM. The only two wires connected to the transmission are for the starter motor and reverse sensor.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
So I was going to go through and try all 8 options for the gear ratios (it's a specific set of 3 bits in the engine module's long coding), but it seems to have locked me into the "7 speed" set of bits giving me the error "(31) function not available"... Maybe it's a security code issue?

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
I’m not sure what the issue could be, that beng said the dsg to manual swap the guy updated me that he fixed the computer issues on gear with his swap with obd 11 and just swapping to manual codes. So what I wonder is if we can find the coding for a tdi golf/sportwagen fwd. tdi came with 6mt

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
There’s diff gear ratios for diff 6mt boxes. Mk5,mk6,mk7 Meltedsolid has the closest gear ratio. There alot lf trans codes for sale locally near me and I wana see which would be best for me to pick up this weekend. Also Can’t decide if longer or shorter would be best for my powerband.

Is this not it?

Mk7 GTI Gear Ratios
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th Final
6MT 3.76 2.03 1.46 1.08 0.88 0.74 3.42
DSG 2.92 1.79 1.14 0.78 0.58 0.46 4.77

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I usually just google "mk6 gti gear ratios" and will find a list on some forum somewhere or something. Doing this over the years I have created a spreadsheet of gear ratios. Here are the mk6 and mk7 GTI's 6mt ratios, I don't think I ever added the mk5 to the list though:

Mk7:
1: 3.76
2: 2.08
3: 1.46
4: 1.08
5: 1.09
6: 0.91
R: 4.55
Final 1-4: 3.24
Final 5-6: 2.62

Mk6:
1: 3.36
2: 2.09
3: 1.47
4: 1.10
5: 1.11
6: 0.93
R: 3.99
Final 1-4: 3.94
Final 5-6: 3.09

Also, an update on the coding: I have been far too lazy/busy to do anything the last few weeks, but I've noticed that when the car doesn't think it's in gear (2nd and 5th), it has zero rev hang, which if you're not prepared for it can make for a rough shift, but is otherwise nice. Also, I get boost in 2nd gear for some reason, but not 5th... I'll probably be messing with it again soon.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I wonder if it is possible to code out rev hang in general without impacting anything else. I am sure it thinking its in gear impacts something in terms of tune (or at least stock tune).

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Good to know thanks!. Seems likes i’ll be best off with mk6 ln is38 to stay in redline more often. As far as power I seriously hope theres a way around the damn 5th no boost. That absolutely would drive be bonkers.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Clutch is doing great.

I'm going to be switching to absolute mapping on the JB4 soon to see what that does. I still haven't gotten the chance to mess with the gear ratio option further in OBD eleven yet.

It really hasn't been a significant issue for me because in 2nd gear it's just about the right amount of boost to be on the limit of traction, and I'm very rarely going over 115 mph where I would need that boost in 5th gear. I'm glad 3rd gear is working fine or it would actually irritate me.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Was there on the drive, third gear went out fighting I'll give it that.

Also it was kind of funny, even while we were limping home people were still pulling out of the way for us. Dunno what about the sight of two Golf's rolling down the road makes people do that.

Wherein the bay are you guys. We should meet up some time! Awesome that both of you have 1.8Ts!