GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rest in Pieces 3rd gear

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Video of going through the gears should be soon now that everything's working, I just need to find a good spot for it.

As far as messing with the ECU, I found the part in the engine module that handles gear ratios, but I haven't yet found a setting that works. So far I've tried "6 speed" and "7 speed", but neither has made any difference that I can tell.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Video of going through the gears should be soon now that everything's working, I just need to find a good spot for it.

As far as messing with the ECU, I found the part in the engine module that handles gear ratios, but I haven't yet found a setting that works. So far I've tried "6 speed" and "7 speed", but neither has made any difference that I can tell.

sweet!looking forward to it.
I hope something comes up with the ecu fix.. they fact that if i race in 5th and the ecu not seeing a gear so it limits power drives me nuts.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
https://youtu.be/nCWIu7m0Y54

I'm on a pretty conservative tune right now because I'm at a never-before-tried altitude of 7000 ft and haven't tuned for it yet, so don't mind the boost dropping below 20psi to the left (when the issue shows up it's more of a hard limit at 15 psi). It seems I didn't have the issue in 5th gear this time, but this was the first pull where I actually shifted through the gears, so maybe it assumed I was going to "4th gear" and locked in the tune for that WOT before it got confused.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie

I'm on a pretty conservative tune right now because I'm at a never-before-tried altitude of 7000 ft and haven't tuned for it yet, so don't mind the boost dropping below 20psi to the left (when the issue shows up it's more of a hard limit at 15 psi). It seems I didn't have the issue in 5th gear this time, but this was the first pull where I actually shifted through the gears, so maybe it assumed I was going to "4th gear" and locked in the tune for that WOT before it got confused.

Thanks for video looks fun rowing through the gears! I’m trying to think if going custom tune will they be able to fix the gear selection issues?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Welcome to the 1.8 6 speed club!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Do you gave vag-com? Or obd11? Able to give us some codes dor trans settings? To fix this issue on dash shifter?
Yeah. I'll be going out to my car to do some coding for my tail lights. Let me know what you need. I'll be using OBD11.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Thanks for video looks fun rowing through the gears! I’m trying to think if going custom tune will they be able to fix the gear selection issues?

That was on my mind too. Initially I was thinking about going with APR's IS20 tune, but I would want to know if the boost while the computer doesn't recognize the gear issue is resolved. I'm pretty sure JB4 alone would be able to handle it fine.

What are the custom tune options available for our engine? I don't think Cobb has an accessport for us, so is it just JB4 and UM (and only UM on the alltrack at that)? I would flash back to stock and do just JB4, but I like my responsive throttle, speed limiter removal, extra fueling, etc... Maybe I should do some emailing around to find the best option.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
That was on my mind too. Initially I was thinking about going with APR's IS20 tune, but I would want to know if the boost while the computer doesn't recognize the gear issue is resolved. I'm pretty sure JB4 alone would be able to handle it fine.

What are the custom tune options available for our engine? I don't think Cobb has an accessport for us, so is it just JB4 and UM (and only UM on the alltrack at that)? I would flash back to stock and do just JB4, but I like my responsive throttle, speed limiter removal, extra fueling, etc... Maybe I should do some emailing around to find the best option.

Maestro is also available for our cars. Some emailing info would be great tho. I’m sure apr would have some info on it. As far as this goes.. i have the money put aside and i’m doing this swap soon as its figured out. So thats why i’m trying to help solve the issue lol. Is there any thing zumble could be able yo show us with his stock all track settings?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Maestro is also available for our cars. Some emailing info would be great tho. I’m sure apr would have some info on it. As far as this goes.. i have the money put aside and i’m doing this swap soon as its figured out. So thats why i’m trying to help solve the issue lol. Is there any thing zumble could be able yo show us with his stock all track settings?
I'll be going out to my car in an hour or two after dinner. Feel free to let me know if I can pull something for you.

I'm guessing the car needs to know rpm, mph, gear ratios, and how many gears? It's very possible the coding is in the ECU for a variety of trannies already.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
I'll be going out to my car in an hour or two after dinner. Feel free to let me know if I can pull something for you.

I'm guessing the car needs to know rpm, mph, gear ratios, and how many gears? It's very possible the coding is in the ECU for a variety of trannies already.

Thats exactly what I’m hoping i’m just wondering where and what number would be needed.. hopefully melted can give some info on where he imput last info he tried

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Likely whatever Zumble's gear ratio settings are still won't work for me because my ratios are a lot tighter than any mk7 6 speed, though maybe some of the ratios would be close enough where it will always think it's at least in gear.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Likely whatever Zumble's gear ratio settings are still won't work for me because my ratios are a lot tighter than any mk7 6 speed, though maybe some of the ratios would be close enough where it will always think it's at least in gear.

Yep, thats the plan.. cuz the 5mt is just wayyyyy off