GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rest in Pieces 3rd gear

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I completely forgot that the ring gear dimensions are different, so even if the spline was the same it wouldn't work. I guess I'll be going with another 5spd MQ250 for now.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
I completely forgot that the ring gear dimensions are different, so even if the spline was the same it wouldn't work. I guess I'll be going with another 5spd MQ250 for now.

Damn i forgot about that.. in all honesty tho think the starter displaces that distance by its mounting points? I mean how much smaller is 5mt clutch vs 6mt? .25 of an Inch?

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
The guy from South Bend clutch seemed really concerned in his reply to my question about it, so I have a feeling it's generally a bad idea to attempt.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Also rumor is.. bfi clutches for 6mt are smaller and same as 5mt. The ring gear/flywheel is only part that has me wondering

Also mk6 and mk7 are same clutch. Diff flywheel i believe

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
One more piece of the puzzle solved. I've confirmed that the bolt pattern for the mk6 GTI's flywheel is the same as ours, so the clutch will have no problem bolting to our engine.

I assume the hydraulics wouldn't have much issue being connected to eachother (I wonder if it's even the same fitting?), and the last piece to worry about would be the reverse sensor plug.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
One more piece of the puzzle solved. I've confirmed that the bolt pattern for the mk6 GTI's flywheel is the same as ours, so the clutch will have no problem bolting to our engine.

I assume the hydraulics wouldn't have much issue being connected to eachother (I wonder if it's even the same fitting?), and the last piece to worry about would be the reverse sensor plug.

Hydraulics are plug and play. So is the connector. So we’re good to go on that as well. What what im finding on car-part.com to get my pricing. ~500$ for mk6 trans/starter/shifter assy and axels.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
So we do need a shifter assembly and axle?

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Also a lsd in the 6 speed isn’t worth it. Talk to people and even lexi.. fastest gti manual 111@130 said there was no difference between aftermarket lsd and factory non pp 6 speed. New vw traction control stuff works really good

An LSD isn't designed to make a car faster in a straight line