GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rest in Pieces 3rd gear

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Whelp, I guess my transmission's found it's limit. I was at about 75mph/4500rpm at full throttle in 3rd gear and then it was gone. 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th still work, but whenever the car is moving or the clutch is engaged my car makes the broken metal parts tumbling around noise. I was able to drive the 25 miles back home though.

For reference, I was probably making about 320+ ftlbs of torque at the time, and the most my car's seen is about 350+ ftlbs of torque this summer.

Now, for a replacement, it looks like I have 3 options:

Option 1: Just get a replacement MQ250.

From some brief research it looks like MQ250's can be found for only a few hundred dollars, and the swap would be exactly the same process as replacing the clutch which I have done before.

Option 2: Get a MQ350 6 speed from a GTI.

A bit more involved and expensive, but then I'll have the 6 speed, which not only has better ratios, but can also hold more power so I won't have to worry about it going in the future. The ideal way to do this would be to also do an LSD and clutch at the same time, but I wouldn't be able to afford that for a few months.

Option 3: Get a gearset for my MQ250.

Probably the most expensive option, but then I can get dog engagement and a 6th speed with very close ratios, which is what I plan to do eventually anyways.

Let me know what you would do. And as a word of warning, anyone with the 5spd pushing more than 300 ftlbs of torque should be careful. That also happens to be around where my clutch gave out, so they might be related.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Was there on the drive, third gear went out fighting I'll give it that.

Also it was kind of funny, even while we were limping home people were still pulling out of the way for us. Dunno what about the sight of two Golf's rolling down the road makes people do that.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Hey mine was same whay when it happened.. i paid 350$ for a used mq250. Putting together stuff to do 6 speed swap tho.. im tired of blowing third up.

My opinion.. since you already there get 6 speed swap

Also a lsd in the 6 speed isn’t worth it. Talk to people and even lexi.. fastest gti manual 111@130 said there was no difference between aftermarket lsd and factory non pp 6 speed. New vw traction control stuff works really good

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
And JB4 stacked with E85, and boost through the roof. My guess is APR tuned is20 with downpipe might be okay, and no downpipe is definitely completely fine.

Also, Ironshade, where did you find your MQ250? I've found a few places online/ebay, but none for quite that cheap.

For a complete MQ350 swap, what would be everything needed? Off the top of my head, I know I would need a clutch bleeder block and clutch, but would I need things like axles, shifter mechanism (I don't know if the front to back cable goes the same way), etc? If I find a donor car I could probably strip anything I might need off of it.

Last edited:

Drader

Passed Driver's Ed
Putting the same thing in doesn't make sense. Getting a custom gearset sounds $$$$$$$. I'm guessing the GTI tranny is your only option. I personally would want an LSD in there, even if it means I eat cup-O-noodle all winter.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Also, another big question, does anyone happen to know if a mk6 GTI's transmission will bolt up. They seem to be cheaper, and are closer ratio which is nice.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
I found local junkyard, wanted 900$ for everything.
Trans mount
Shifter assembly
Trans
Clutch slave cylinder

You don’t need axels.

Also i’m pretty sure a 5mt clutch will work with 6mt. Im not 100% sure tho.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Ooh, that's good news. In that case I might just have a mk6 GTI transmission in not too long.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Alright, so as of right now I think whether or not the clutch splines are the same will determine whether I will go with the 6spd or not. Adding a new clutch to the mix could double to triple the cost.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Didn't you already destroy one transmission?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
No, I think Ironshade and Blade were the only two to grenade a transmission before me.