GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rest in Pieces 3rd gear

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
One more piece of the puzzle solved. I've confirmed that the bolt pattern for the mk6 GTI's flywheel is the same as ours, so the clutch will have no problem bolting to our engine.

I assume the hydraulics wouldn't have much issue being connected to eachother (I wonder if it's even the same fitting?), and the last piece to worry about would be the reverse sensor plug.

I am running a MK6 TOB on a MK7 GTI for 25k miles now, no issues.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Awesome.

Looking at the axles for the mk6 GTI and our transmission on ECS, they don't seem exactly the same, but they might still bolt up. The mk6's axles have a metal boot that encloses the grease, but I think the bolt holes might be the same.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Or the alternative is maybe the mount between the axle and transmission will transfer over.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
So did we ever figure out which starter will work with which transmission? It looks like the starters are the same, and if I were the engineer at VW I wouldn't be changing the starter between generations and models.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I checked and our starter won't work. The mk6's starter pinion has 10 teeth and ours has 13 teeth. So it looks like now the list of things needed to replace for the swap are:

- Transmission
- Clutch assembly
- Starter motor

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I checked and our starter won't work. The mk6's starter pinion has 10 teeth and ours has 13 teeth. So it looks like now the list of things needed to replace for the swap are:

- Transmission
- Clutch assembly
- Starter motor

Not terrible considering how much you'll save if you source everything used.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
The axles are still a bit of a question mark. I'm almost certain the lengths are the same, but the question is if my axle hub will fit in the transmission (ideally), or if my axle will bolt up to the mk6's axle hub. Hopefully one of the two or I might have to get some last minute axles as well. Absolute worst case scenario, I'll need to get axles and wheel bearings and hubs... That would suck, it might be easier to get a custom axle at that point.

EDIT: The spline count and diameter of the wheel bearing axle connection are the same between the mk6 and mk7, so worst case scenario now is just new mk6 axles assuming the depth is the same.

Last edited:

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
My guess is they are the same since the gearbox case is essentially identical and the engine block is very similar between Gen 2 and Gen 3.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Hey mine was same whay when it happened.. i paid 350$ for a used mq250. Putting together stuff to do 6 speed swap tho.. im tired of blowing third up.

My opinion.. since you already there get 6 speed swap

Also a lsd in the 6 speed isn’t worth it. Talk to people and even lexi.. fastest gti manual 111@130 said there was no difference between aftermarket lsd and factory non pp 6 speed. New vw traction control stuff works really good

Wow I don't even know what to say to this.. A mechanical LSD isn't worth it?? LOL Okay.. I'll tell you this maybe your straight line, fair weather driving you don't notice much of a difference but I will tell you after putting 3k in the turns in winter weather with one and 82k without that it is indeed worth it. Telling people it's not worth it, if you haven't ever driven with one is like Android people saying Apple phones sucks with out ever owning one. The Transmission is an 02Q which has been used that I know of in MK7 GTI, MK6 GTI maybe other model cars with 6 speed transmissions.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Wow I don't even know what to say to this.. A mechanical LSD isn't worth it?? LOL Okay.. I'll tell you this maybe your straight line, fair weather driving you don't notice much of a difference but I will tell you after putting 3k in the turns in winter weather with one and 82k without that it is indeed worth it. Telling people it's not worth it, if you haven't ever driven with one is like Android people saying Apple phones sucks with out ever owning one. The Transmission is an 02Q which has been used that I know of in MK7 GTI, MK6 GTI maybe other model cars with 6 speed transmissions.

Apple phones do suck.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Apple phones do suck.

^ Even if the company wasn't a shittier marketing centered overpriced pit of hell, they have to make their hardware without basic IO for some reason...

However I know what LSD's are for and that they would be worth it for me when I can afford it, so the analogy is kind of moot.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Alright, 6 speed swap has begun. The transmission comes tomorrow, but I've removed my old transmission and clutch, and installed the new clutch today. So far everything has gone smoothly.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Honestly the job wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Now don't get me wrong it's no cakewalk, but for something as scary sounding as dropping a transmission it was all relatively straightforward.

Hopefully the axles line up with the Mk6 trans when it actually arrives tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk