GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Resetting "Inspection Now!" message

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Ok, I've Googled this a bunch, and read/seen videos covering variations on a procedure that is supposed to clear the "Inspection Now!" chime and message when you start or stop the car. But nothing works. I get a message in the MFI asking me if I want to reset the oil service, and that works, but though I get the message that asks me if I'm sure I want to reset the inspection notice, pressing the "OK" button on the wheel does nada.

The procedures I've used are variations of close the doors, turn on the flashers, hold down the 0.0 button, start the car (or just power up the system, and not start it, tried it both ways), and then wait for the prompts. But when the prompt asking me if I really want to reset the inspection notice comes up, no matter what I do, it just immediately goes to "Inspection Now!," and there seems to be no way I can get rid of the damn thing.

It's not super important (and no, I don't have a VCDS or whatnot) but it's kind of annoying, especially as it's freakin' wrong. My inspection is due in December, not October....

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, that was the first video I saw, and I followed their instructions or so I thought. I'll give it another go.

EDIT: Yeah, doesn't work. Maybe because it is now at the "inspection now" stage and not the "inspection in x days" stage? Dunno. But neither this method nor any other method I've tried has any affect.

Guess I have to live with it until next month's tire change over and actual inspection. I do plan to ask the dealer why on earth they didn't set it properly last November.

Last edited:

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Well, it's only when I start and when I stop, so I'll ask the dealer next month to not set the damn thing if possible. If it isn't possible (thanks, nanny VW, who thinks I can't see the FREAKIN' HUGE STICKER WITH A GIANT NUMBER ON THE FRONT OF THE WINDSHIELD.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
It does work when it has passed the deadline but you need to be quick with the button. Just done it with mine and the servicing that was overdue by a week.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
It does work when it has passed the deadline but you need to be quick with the button. Just done it with mine and the servicing that was overdue by a week.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Which button? The videos and instructions seem to contradict themselves sometimes. When the message about being sure comes up, do you hit the OK button or do you let off of the 0.0 button? It may well be I'm just not doing _something_ fast enough.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
The trip meter (0.0) reset button.

Press and hold the reset button, turn ignition on but don't start the car. Release the reset button The MFD will scroll through, Reset Service Inspection, Reset Oil Inspection and the one you want to reset press the reset button to confirm it.

It does scroll through quite quickly and if you miss it don't worry just remove the key and start again.

Dealers use that way as it saves plugging in the VCDS cable when not needed and you will not lose your trip reading as long as you hold the button on the first step.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
That did it, thanks, Finglonga. Worked like a charm, though it took my ham-handed self two tries.

Such a trivial annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.