GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Researching Exhaust Options

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
They are excellent. I wouldn’t trade them for anything. Maybe except for a set of HRE’s or Titans lol.

It depends. You can find a beat up set for $800-900ish with no tires. If you want a really nice set with no tires you're looking at $1100ish. With tires is $1200 plus. They are usually pretty sought after though so you will be paying a pretty penny for them. Or you can do what I did, buy a cheap beat up set, get the rash fixed, and powder coated so they are like new. Great wheel choice either way. Good luck with your search!

I do have a shop that can fix the rash for nothing, so that will be the best method. I am gonna take a look online and see if i can find anyone local. Thanks!

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
If you want a cheap exhaust pick up a Vibrant 17950, a Borla Pro XS muffler, and have a good muffler shop fab you up a 3” cat back exhaust. Should come in well under $1000 even with good SS. I got a 3” midpipe made up for my car with the Vibrant res for $100 IIRC.

I recommend the Michelin PS4S (summer), AS4 (all season), or the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s (summer) for tires.
FB0774C6-164A-4002-A554-430421AEDD04.jpeg

I have this exact setup; ProXS muffler and 3” Custom Stainless catback (no resonator). Probably the most satisfying modification I’ve done to this car.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
17C7DD59-4513-469F-BC6A-B9CCD0208B05.jpeg

Update: found a set of Pretoria’s W/ Continentals for $600. Love how they came out!

Now, back to the exhaust search!

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Not gonna lie, Borla 3” cat back exhaust looking like a decent option as of now (price and sound wise).

Thoughts?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
View attachment 197595
I have this exact setup; ProXS muffler and 3” Custom Stainless catback (no resonator). Probably the most satisfying modification I’ve done to this car.

Remember to mention you have the stock downpipe when throwing this recommendation out there. With a downpipe you absolutely want a proper resonator.

I’ve been using that muffler for a long time on this platform.

These days I call that my Less Aggressive CBE

Not gonna lie, Borla 3” cat back exhaust looking like a decent option as of now (price and sound wise).

Thoughts?

Borla doesn’t use that muffler in their system they offer, nor do they offer a comparable resonator.

If you’re not swapping out the OEM downpipe it doesn’t matter though, just about anything will sound good.

When you add a high flow downpipe, that’s where the majority of catbacks fall short.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Remember to mention you have the stock downpipe when throwing this recommendation out there. With a downpipe you absolutely want a proper resonator.

I’ve been using that muffler for a long time on this platform.

These days I call that my Less Aggressive CBE

Borla doesn’t use that muffler in their system they offer, nor do they offer a comparable resonator.

If you’re not swapping out the OEM downpipe it doesn’t matter though, just about anything will sound good.

When you add a high flow downpipe, that’s where the majority of catbacks fall short.
I was looking through a lot of videos that say use a res but I noticed a good majority had a down pipe installed, minus one guy.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Last edited:

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE

Thoughts?

I just installed a Borla catback on my 7.5 GTI. I currently have a stock DP and it sounds exactly how I expected and wanted. Normal driving is mostly stock with a deeper tone and a tad more volume. Above 3k it really opens up and gets loud. No drone that I can notice at any of my cruising speeds.

When I go FBO I'll be getting Bauns DP with his borla replacement midpipe with the vibrant resonator. Should be a happy balance between his two catback exhausts he offers.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Up my alley, any stock review videos available?

I’m assuming straight pipe can be loud af but how do the dual resonators work with this?
I think straight pipe will be on the louder side if you have a stock downpipe, but manageable. Aftermarket downpipes really change the sound of this car. I am only running a downpipe and my car is pretty loud, but I like it, I've always liked more noise than less.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
That is a great looking exhaust for the money.
I said the same thing but I really need to see some more sound clips on it...

*hears someone whispering “Borla”*

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I just installed a Borla catback on my 7.5 GTI. I currently have a stock DP and it sounds exactly how I expected and wanted. Normal driving is mostly stock with a deeper tone and a tad more volume. Above 3k it really opens up and gets loud. No drone that I can notice at any of my cruising speeds.

When I go FBO I'll be getting Bauns DP with his borla replacement midpipe with the vibrant resonator. Should be a happy balance between his two catback exhausts he offers.

This is the reassurance I needed for the Borla!

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I said the same thing but I really need to see some more sound clips on it...

*hears someone whispering “Borla”*
The one sound clip they have linked via YouTube is the single resonator variant. I would imagine that the car also still had a stock downpipe. I have been looking at Baun and Nameless because I want something very close to stock volume and no drone. Need to free up some flow for the top end on my Vortex. Running an IE catted downpipe, so I am sure it would still add some volume, but not be unreasonable.

My only real question is if it is 3" inlet from the downpipe or if they run an adapter to stock exhaust.

Shipping is $100, but the overall cost is completely reasonable for a dual resonated exhaust. That is hand built with a lifetime warranty.