GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing Fender Speakers - Does Fender System Have Crossover?

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Gotta tell you, i love what you're doing here. I can't wait to know your conclusions.

01LSi

Passed Driver's Ed
^^ same

Are you using a calibrated microphone to do this measurement or is it just a loose measurement from your phone?

tshrey

Ready to race!
So some good news. I wrapped the circumference of the stock plastic spacer with 22 gauge galvanized steel and epoxied it in place. After this dried I added a layer of Raamat on the surface of the steel.
IMG_20200417_162217.jpg

Installed M5 rivnuts into the door (who pop-rivets speakers in place?) and reinstalled. One note - if you do this you have to grind down the plastic lip on the back side of the spacer around each mounting hole (you'll see what I mean when you look) and then add a new layer of something compressible to seal the speaker to the door since the rivnuts have a ring around them that sits above the metal surface. Was going to use speed clips but I hate those things and then I remembered I had the rivnut kit, that is why the paint is all scratched up.
IMG_20200417_221730.jpg

Stock (unmodified) driver response at 1 ft:
Screenshot_20200417-214131.png

Stiffened stock driver:
Screenshot_20200417-214159.png

On a crap phone screen shot it is subtle, but the unmodified driver has a peak at 1200 Hz where as the modified one is flatter from about 600-1200 Hz. It definitely sounds fuller by ear. Most importantly I was able to get this response from it by changing the head unit low/mid/high settings in less radical ways than needed for the fronts (there is no door panel at this point so the tweeter isn't hooked up, that is why there is a huge drop at 10k).

Screenshot_20200417-214323.png
IMG_20200417_214334.jpg

So this looks like the best way forward without going full replacement. Going to pull the other rear tomorrow and do the same before moving to the front.

Also, if you haven't worked on the rear doors it sucks. Everything is tight because they just don't open very far.

tshrey

Ready to race!
So while the stock rear speakers really needed the help, the fronts are considerably more beefy. I wrapped them in the same manner, but the overall effect is not as good as I was hoping for.

Since I'm doing this all on my phone the screenshots result in images that are all exactly the same size so I was able to just keep the peak hold lines and overlay the two.

Red is stock wit the the EQ all the way down for mids and cranked up for lows like I had many posts ago, blue is with half that correction and the stiffening in place. This midbass hole is definitely better and the level throughout the midrange stays flatter. It is no longer annoying to listen to, so that is a positive step.

I should point out while I was in there I fully damped the door steel with raamat and applied ensolite to the back of the door trim panels.

Eventually I'm sure I'm going to go with the Zen V setup with a four channel amp and DSP running the fronts and a separate amp running a better sub. No rear fill, there are enough surfaces in a car for sound to bounce off of.

Image3.png

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Im running a portable hi res player into an audiocontrol dsp to a 5 channel amp then to front 6.5 and tweets. I really don't miss the rears much even with my seat pushed nearly to the back. Once you upgrade your front stage, i doubt you'll miss your rears too after a bit.